Skip to main content
Topic: Preparing to Tow! (Read 11 times) previous topic - next topic
Preparing to Tow!
Yahoo Message Number: 127472
I recently bought a new Suburu Forester and will be rigging it to be towed using a Falcon 2 tow bar (that came with the LD). I am curious what the general feeling is about rock protection for toads these days. A scan of the listserve seems to show discussions that are relatively old. While I doubt the gear has changed much, it still seems appropriate to find out what people are using/doing.
 For some reason I am drawn to a wide dirt/rock skirt at the back of the rig. And possibly a Roadmaster Guardian or similar. And...I know many people tow without any protection and would appreciate those comments also.

Thanks in advance! And Happy Holidays! Jay

2007 LD 23 1/2 T/K "Paisano" San Antonio, Texas

Re: Preparing to Tow!
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 127473
Jay: We have the full solid skirt on the rig and use a "Protect a Tow" from a Canadian company. We drove over a pretty large truck tread this past summer - could not take evasive action - and between the solid skirt on the rig and the "protect a tow" we had little damage other than a good sized hole in the solid skirt (scary) and a black mark on the tow which we were able to wax off.

The "protect a tow" is reasonably priced.

Bob SE 5 30IB AE

__ From: Jay Forrest jayforrest@...>
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Saturday, December 24, 2011 10:06 AM
 Subject: [LD] Preparing to Tow!

I recently bought a new Suburu Forester and will be rigging it to be towed using a Falcon 2 tow bar (that came with the LD). I am curious what the general feeling is about rock protection for toads these days. A scan of the listserve seems to show discussions that are relatively old. While I doubt the gear has changed much, it still seems appropriate to find out what people are using/doing.
 For some reason I am drawn to a wide dirt/rock skirt at the back of the rig. And possibly a Roadmaster Guardian or similar. And...I know many people tow without any protection and would appreciate those comments also.

2007 LD 23 1/2 T/K "Paisano" San Antonio, Texas

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 127474
"I am curious what the general feeling is about rock protection for toads these days."

Jay
You didn't tell us what body length you will tow with Jay... 22, 24, 27, 30, or 31. The rear overhang makes all the difference. The longer the space between the rear tires and the rear bumper the less you have to worry about rocks kicking up.
 I tow with a 30' and have a very long overhang. I've towed two different toads thousands of miles and have never had a ding on either.
My two ¢!!!

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 127475
lejest2003  wrote: You didn't tell us what body length you will tow with Jay... 22, 24, 27, 30, or 31.
--- This info was in his signature:

"2007 LD 23 1/2 T/K "Paisano" "

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 127477

This info was in his signature:

"2007 LD 23 1/2 T/K "Paisano" "

Joan
Joan
 At this season in my life I'm entitled to overlook a lot of things! I've already given up late night partys, booze, smoking, pretty girls, sex and about the only thing I've still got going for me is food. Items like "23 1/2 T/K" are about the last things I'd be cognizant of. Sometimes I trip over my bedroom slippers after spending two hours searching for them. :-))
 Loosen up there gal, your day will come. Oh yes and a Merry Christmas to all!

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & that dog (Jiggs)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 127478
"The longer the space between the rear tires and the rear bumper the less you have to worry about rocks kicking up."
 That depends on where your mudflap is located. As I found out to my sorrow, the further back it is from the tires, the more likely it is to drag on the road when you go over a bump or a dip. And if the mudflap touches the road, it *will* kick up rocks and throw them back at your toad. I have the pitted windshield to prove it. Even though my UltraGuard full-width mudflap is 4" from the pavement when the rig is level, it takes very little elevation of the front wheels to bring it into contact with the road.
 My advice: get individual mudflaps and mount them immediately behind your wheels. Make sure the bottoms are 4" from the pavement. If you do this, they will never drag, and you'll have good protection.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 127481
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Saturday, December 24, 2011 3:06 PM
 Subject: [LD] Re: Preparing to Tow!

Thanks, Andy!

Sounds reasonable! Jay
 As I recall, someone on this list had custom made mud-flaps, including pictures.
 That's as far as my recall skills are now. Maybe someone can continue my recall efforts and come up with the answer.

Anyway, Happy Holidays and many safe (s)miles to you all.

Recent Activity:    * New Members 3    * New Photos 6    * New Files 1 Visit Your Group MARKETPLACE Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get  Toolbar now.

Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use .

Bob & Judy Kruppa
2003 MB - Empyrean
NE 70

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 127483

In my opinion, your answer was out of line. I think an apology to Joan would be in order.

Jeanne Gearing
Well Jeanne I know you mean well... Joan and I go back a ways. She's not one to take me too seriously.
 Besides, once you get past that stage where you wouldn't say "crap" even if you have a mouthful you start to realize you don't have to placate every Tom, Dick and Harry that comes down the pike. I passed that point years ago.
 Bye the way, how'd you come by that moniker "grouchygran" anyway? ? ? ? ??

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 127485
Thanks Chris!
 There was a similar (if not identical) photo on Lazy Daze Companion that was too small to show the details as clearly as this. Thanks!
 And thanks to everyone for their comments - I learned a lot about the full width and hula skirt models - and the screens!

Happy Holidays! Jay

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 127486
Jay - check out the Lazy Daze Companion article on toad protection.  It discusses the various types.

Ted H.
@ Lake Amistad, TX

PS: We'll be arriving

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 127487
" Well Jeanne I know you mean well... Joan and I go back a ways. She's not one to take me too seriously. "
Steve, I suspect most of us were sitting here grinning, waiting for your response.
 Karen - not that anyone asked but oldjerseylady used to be just jerseylady. That lasted 2 days because it seemed to attract unwanted advances from unsavory types ;-) . Putting the "old" in front ended that! The only group nicknames I know about are bumper and bearbait jack. Anyone else want to care to explain their user names?

And, Merry Christmas if you celebrate!

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 127488
Thanks for the suggestion... I had overlooked it on my original visit to explore this topic on LD Companion. I agree it is helpful.
 Have fun in SA. I will guess you are well familiar given your proximity and your planned campsites. Enjoy! And Happy Holidays! Jay

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 127489
Thanks Chris,
 You beat me to it. My mudflaps have worked out so far (7 months). A local tire and auto accessory place in Temple, TX installed them. The flaps were cut to fit and the whole job cost me about 60.00 however, I think I got a real break since it was so hot at the time and it took a while for him to install them outside.

Andrea
 Here's what Andrea Eagles did:  https://picasaweb.google.com/117592111903674312719/MudflapsOnEJ?authkey=Gv1sRgCLPJu-aBhcHXQQ&gsessionid=x0io0dCmo4c-INT9qiEVcA#5628079655946192050>

Chris
 I am curious what the general feeling is about rock protection for toads these days. A scan of the listserve seems to show discussions that are relatively old. While I doubt the gear has changed much, it still seems appropriate to find out what people are using/doing.

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 127491
Merry Christmas!
 Talk about word association . . . with the subject line my thoughts were all about glider towing!
 I tow part time for SoaringNV at Minden, NV, and the last thing before take off or 'preparing to tow' is moving slowly forward with the Pawnee tow plane to take the slack out of the 200 foot tow rope connected to the glided. Then it's 'off we go into the wild blue yonder' - - (where my MB got its name and license plate, 'YONDER' and my glider trailer the plate, 'WYLDBLU'. Sometimes when passing us on the road people wave and smile.
 As to that glider tow, many of the tows are what we call, 'The Tahoe Sky Ride', up to 10,000 feet over the Carson Range to the edge of Lake Tahoe to the west and a broad expanse of the majestic Sierra as far as the eye can see - - spectacular! If you're in the area, come on by and treat yourself to a glider ride. One of the gliders will take two (regular sized) passengers together. In the winter when things are slower is a great time for glider rides with crystal clear air and the ride smooth as glass.

bumper
 Disclaimer: I have no financial involvement w/SoaringNV other than as a once-in-awhile, fill-in only when needed, part time employee. Tell them you know 'bumper' and they'll likely give you a discount on the ride.

bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 127492
Ahh Bumper - one of the few things left
20 + MH's since 1977 incl...
Past
FMC, 2x GMC's, Foretravel, 2x LD
Present
1996 LD RB under restoration, my project to keep me off the streets.

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 127508
Bob! I seem to think he used truck mudflaps and cut then to size on each wheel..Do that sounds doable?? Happy Holidays, friend. Gene in Fl.

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 127509
Gene,
 If you haven't already seen it, check msg 127484, complete with pics. This is what I was trying to recall.

Best wishes for a fun filled 2012!!
Bob & Judy Kruppa
2003 MB - Empyrean
NE 70