Skip to main content
Topic: Properly charging and discharging my LD battery (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Properly charging and discharging my LD battery
Yahoo Message Number: 127427
I have 2 solar panels, a RV-30S charge controller, and a Magnetek 7300 series in my '02 MB all factory installed.   Ten years down the road, I'm asking myself what should I be doing better around maintaining my coach batteries?
 I never done specific gravity checks or equalization.   I trust my setup is taking care of the maintenance but I don't know for sure.
 Sometimes I forget to check fluid levels and found guessing the level in the rear cells doesn't work -- after I gave up flashlight and mirror years ago.

So, is there a simple approach to maintaining these batteries?

Re: Properly charging and discharging my LD battery
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 127429
I have 2 solar panels, a RV-30S charge controller, and a Magnetek 7300 series in my '02 MB all factory installed.   Ten years down the road, I'm asking myself what should I be doing better around maintaining my coach batteries?
 I never done specific gravity checks or equalization.   I trust my setup is taking care of the maintenance but I don't know for sure.
 Sometimes I forget to check fluid levels and found guessing the level in the rear cells doesn't work -- after I gave up flashlight and mirror years ago.

So, is there a simple approach to maintaining these batteries?
Charge controller is adequate. It will not overcharge because solar charging allows daily rest periods. Your converter is a basic single-stage charger with limited flexibility, and certainly no equalization mode. It could be worthwhile upgrading. The battery electrolyte level is probably best maintained using the Pro-Fill discussed currently.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 127431
"Leland"  wrote: So, is there a simple approach to maintaining these batteries? --- Answered in previous posts; for the link to the Pro-Fill, see post #127425.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 127432
Checked ''Available Options'' for newer LD's and don't see upgrades or even mention of inverter/control charger to go along with the new AGM batteries.

Anyone one here gone the upgrade route?   What did you upgrade to?

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 127433
"Anyone one here gone the upgrade route? What did you upgrade to?"

Leland

Many on the forum have upgraded to various converters and chargers.
 Our LD's 70-amp converter.  Requires upgrading of primary wiring to get full benefit.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/2178123145/in/set-72157603671199053/>

Best Converter is your best site to see what is out there.
http://www.bestconverter.com/> Best Converter's current 7300/7400 converter replacement. 3-stage, 55-amp model does not need upgraded wiring. It is a straight forward conversion with a new 12-volt fuse panel.
http://www.bestconverter.com/55-Amp-Converter-Replacement-Kit_p_47.html>

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 127436
Checked ''Available Options'' for newer LD's and don't see upgrades or even mention of inverter/control charger to go along with the new AGM batteries.

What did you upgrade to?
Don't know which converter LD uses now. We upgraded from a Magnetek 6335 converter to a Progressive Dynamics Intelli-Power PD4645. This unit is a swap-out replacement for the power supply / distribution panel module in the Magnetek or Parallax units.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 127444
Leland,
 A very simple approach is to carefully fill the batteries to the correct level one time.  Use a mirror, and basting bulb, or whatever works for you.  Then, make dipsticks for each battery cell.  I made mine out of small pieces of wood (sort of like glorified tongue-depressors).  I marked the correct level on the dipstick with a Sharpie.  Now, I can very quickly check the level of each cell using the dipsticks.  I use a baster to add distilled water to the batteries as required.  When I'm done, I rinse off each dipstick so the acid doesn't damage the wood.
 This system won't eliminate the need to check the fluid level, but it makes it very easy and you don't need to fiddle with a flashlight and mirror.

-Mike

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 127446
Mike, What is the correct level of water above the plates?  I've been using a quarter of an inch.
Bill

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 127447
Mike, What is the correct level of water above the plates?  I've been using a quarter of an inch.
Bill On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 10:24 AM, mike  wrote:
Leland, the correct level according to the LD manual is "halfway between the metal plates and the lower lip of the cell opening." Joe Hamm-San Jose

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 127468
Bill,
 As Joe said the LD manual recommends filling the batteries to the half-way point between the plates and the bottom of the opening on the top of the cell.
 Although I previously said I filled the batteries to the exact level and then marked the dipsticks once I'd done that, I recall now that I had a simpler method.  I remember now that I just marked the point on the dipstick where the bottom of the opening is when the dipstick is resting on the top of the cell.  I just fill the cell till the electrolyte level is halfway between the end of the stick and the mark, just like the LD manual recommends.  It's easier to mark the point where the dipstick comes up to the bottom of the cell opening, and it also keeps the mark from being immersed in the electrolyte (which can make it fade -- also Sharpie ink might possibly be bad for the electrolyte, although I doubt it!).

Mike

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]