Skip to main content
Topic: Adding flat panel TV, and what new battery monitor now (Read 13 times) previous topic - next topic
Adding flat panel TV, and what new battery monitor now
Yahoo Message Number: 127359
I used to have my OLD 13in ac/dc TV in the bedrm of the 30ft. IB, I'd like to replace it with a flat panel..either plasma or LED or LCD.
There is a drop down shelf the old one fit on so i am assuming a 19in flat panel will mount there nicely.
 Question I have is how much power does a flat panel ac/dc TV use compared to an old tube TV? Again i would *assume* less. Having a hard time finding such info while researching various brands on line.
 My old one works great, but 13in is awfully small now that I'm older...grin.
 My linksys 10 died while the rig was sitting at Sanderson Ford waiting for repairs...so am in need of a replacement, and would like some suggestions from those who know what's out there now...a lot of changes since I bought that one!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

Re: Adding flat panel TV, and what new battery monitor now
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 127365
Question I have is how much power does a flat panel ac/dc TV use compared to an old tube TV? Again i would *assume* less. Having a hard time finding such info while researching various brands on line.
I don't think plasma models come smaller than 42", and they are power hogs. LCD models are either fluorescent lit or LED lit. If they don't specify, it is fluorescent, and those draw more power than LEDs. E.g., our first tv was an ac/dc 9" CRT (tube), and it drew about 5 Amps at 12V. We replaced that with a 13" LCD model, and that drew about 3.5 Amps. After the switch to digital signals, and once I got tired of fiddling with a separate analog/digital converter box, we got a 22" LED edge-lit HDTV model, and that draws about 2 Amps from 12V.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 127366
Look for models that use an outboard wall wart or brick type of power supply.  Generally not very desirable for home use, so they are becoming harder to find. But the outboard power supplies are usually 12-14 volts, and the TV can be powered directly by the coach battery, rather than requiring an inverter.
 If you are not comfortable cutting the connector off the power cord and substituting a compatible plug, get some help. It is not difficult, but it can be expensive if you get it wrong.

I have a 22" Vizio, that was nearly a drop

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 127372
I'm looking for a TV exactly like you describe. Replacing my present TV would likely be more cost effective way to reduce the battery drain than adding a solar panel, and easier. What model do you have, and what would you suggest that might be even better? I have space for a 24" unit.

Eric
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 127375
I'm looking for a TV exactly like you describe. Replacing my present TV would likely be more cost effective way to reduce the battery drain than adding a solar panel, and easier. What model do you have, and what would you suggest that might be even better? I have space for a 24" unit.
Unfortunately, models that run on 12V powered by an external 'brick' do not actually specify 12VDC operation, and when you call the manufacturer, they will just tell you that it has not been tested that way. Therefore the best recommendation will come from someone who has actually tried a particular model, such as someone on this group. So, I can tell you about the 22" Vizio model we have, which I purchased due to recommendations from our group members, but it may not apply to any similar 24" models. Ours is a Vizio model M220MV. I use a 12V cord from Radio Shack, and it works fine. I DID need to upgrade the firmware to correct an aspect ratio problem that sometimes occurred, easy to do on-line, but otherwise no problems. It has a very wide viewing angle, which works well in our FL location.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 127376
I am using the Vizio M220MV also.  They are no longer offered by the manufacturer, but are readily available refurbished from a variety of sources. Google is your friend.
 I am curious though, What does the wide viewing angle have to do with your location

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 127377
wrote: models that run on 12V powered by an external 'brick' do not actually specify 12VDC operation..
--- I want a *little* portable that sits of the pull-up shelf in the rear of the TK when in use; no big screens, no built-ins, no "wires".  Does anyone use an "only 12VDC" TV like this one?
 http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt-digital-tvdvd-combo-133-inch-flat-panel-p-9796.html

Comments? Suggestions?

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 127378
That unit looks like it is the same as the Naxa 13 inch model. Naxa makes both smaller and larger units. I replaced our 2007 TV with a Naxa 22 inch model with DVD about two months ago and to date we are very happy with it. It comes with both a 120 volt converter and a 12 volt (cigarette lighter) plug. I think all Naxa models are 12 volt. I would suggest looking at their web site also.

Good Luck! Jay

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 127379
"I am curious though, What does the wide viewing angle have to do with your location in Florida? "

Dave
 Steve will enjoy the same wide viewing angle, no matter if he is in Florida or at home in California, while relaxing in his 22' Front Lounge LD.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 127380
For what it's worth.

The TV on my '08 LD died a premature death.
It is a Jensen , Model JE1907DC  I bought the exact unit, re-manufactured, delivered to my house for $129.00!!
 http://www.asaelectronics.com/jensen-remanufactured-19-lcd-tv.html

The holes are already drilled in the back of the TV to mount on the arm supplied by LD.

Need any more details, send me a PM.

ed

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 127381
jayforrest@...> wrote:

That unit looks like it is the same as the Naxa 13 inch model.
--- Yes, AFAIK, the Skyworth and the Naxa 13" 12v are essentially the same TV, but the specs (that I read on roadtrucker.com) claims that the Skyworth offers a slightly higher resolution. I have no idea whether this is snake oil. ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 127386
"My linksys 10 died while the rig was sitting at Sanderson Ford waiting for repairs...so am in need of a replacement"

Your old Xantex Link-10 has been updated with the LinkLITE and LinkPRO models. They are still the standard. Most LDers use the LinkLITE.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=11151&partNumber=10087690&langId=-1>
http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-84-2030-00-LinkLITE-Battery-Monitor/dp/B001FBIR08> Assuming the wiring isn't  bad, it would be a quick change out because the old and new should be interchangeable.

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 127387
I am curious though, What does the wide viewing angle have to do with your location in Florida?
See, Dave, as far as I am concerned, FL should officially mean ONLY a Lazy Daze Front Lounge, and the USPS should probably be forced to pay royalties for using that moniker for some silly state.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 127388
I want a *little* portable that sits of the pull-up shelf in the rear of the TK when in use; no big screens, no built-ins, no "wires".  Does anyone use an "only 12VDC" TV like this one?
 http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt-digital-tvdvd-combo-133-inch-flat-panel-p-9796.html

Comments? Suggestions?

Joan
Joan, what I notice is that the native resolution does not match any TV formats - in fact, it seems to be a laptop screen with native pc resolution. I would buy only with a personal recommendation or return privileges. Many laptops have a very narrow viewing angle horizontally, since they are intended for 'personal' use.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 127392
Here's some info from roadtrucker on the tvs they sell: http://www.roadtrucker.com/product-info.htm#Which_LCD_TV_is_Best

I bought a 13" Skyworth from them in Oct 2010: http://www.roadtrucker.com/electronics-4.htm#Skyworth_13_AC_DC_Color_12_Volt_TV_DVD

It fits nicely in the overhead cupboard when not in use. I only use it occasionally. It does have a dvd player.

The tv works fine. The sound is okay and the picture is good.
 The DVD works mostly okay. The discs sometimes need help being fed into the player (I use a plastic spoon or another disc to give it a nudge). A few times when I tried to fast forward or skip to next section, the command wasn't correctly interpreted and it either stopped altogether or moved to the next episode or some other incorrect action (I've forgotten exactly what it did those few times it went weird on me - it's been a long time since I've used the fast forward or skip to next section buttons). A friend of mine has the same tv and said she had a problem with the remote control for the dvd. I'm not sure what the problem was exactly. For these reasons, I probably wouldn't recommend this unit for dvd use, though for me personally, it's not been a big deal.
 I DO recommend buying from roadtrucker.com. When I was looking, they had the most useful information and when I emailed with questions a couple times, they were very responsive, informative and personable.

As always, YMMV.
Nancy '98 FL

wrote:

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 127393
wrote: The DVD works mostly okay. The discs sometimes need help being fed into the player (I use a plastic spoon or another disc to give it a nudge).
--- Thanks for all the details, Nancy! I have plenty of plastic spoons! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 127394
My 2 cents: My Jensen Model JE1907DC died a couple weeks ago. It could not boot past the splash screen when it was turned on. My rig is a 2007 RB delivered

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 127395
Jensen TVs seem to be much more expensive than comparable Vizio, Samsung, etc. What makes them worth the extra money?

Eric
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 127397
"Jensen TVs seem to be much more expensive than comparable Vizio, Samsung, etc. What makes them worth the extra money?"
 I like that the Jensens are made for RVs and Marine use. The specs and testing are really good. The mothership has trusted them for years. I got $100.00 off the price and free shipping. I knew the TV would likely fit my arm extension already

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 127398
Jensen TVs seem to be much more expensive than comparable Vizio, Samsung, etc. What makes them worth the extra money?

Eric
Eric, I like the operamting range of the Jensen.  Low end down to 9 volts.  Had other tv,s that would shutdown when batteries were slightly low.  Not with the Jensen.  Hard to get this info from other manufactures.
Joe Hamm 2003 MB

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 127401

Eric
Since they are designed and certified to work from a 12V automotive system, purchasers don't have to experiment without factory support to get them to work. They are probably no more expensive to make, but Jensen likely will have a much higher return rate to absorb due to damage from installation or running issues. Performance and quality likely are not part of the equation.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

... what new battery monitor now
Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 127400
Thanks larry...as i remember, when i put the old Linksys in, folks had already gone over to those models. Since it's been almost two years, and considering how fast things seem to change, especially with the solar stuff--[I see where my solar panels and the HPV22B are now gone the way of the DOdo bird]..figured it would be wise to ask first!

Is there a consensus on which is best for  practical every day use, no need for a lot of bells and whistles as I don'[t "get" electronics anyway...grin..?? It was the main reason i went with the unit I did, even knowing it was being discontinues when i got it. The replacement of choice was still getting hashed out then.

Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "CHERRYOTTE" our litte red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

Re: ... what new battery monitor now
Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 127402
Thanks larry...as i remember, when i put the old Linksys in, folks had already gone over to those models. Since it's been almost two years, and considering how fast things seem to change, especially with the solar stuff--[I see where my solar panels and the HPV22B are now gone the way of the DOdo bird]..figured it would be wise to ask first!
In what way did the Linksys fail? Is the display simply blank, or did someone diagnose the failure? Could be as simple as a blown fuse, or an accidental mis-wiring by the repair facility.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit