Skip to main content
Topic: Flashlights (off topic) (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Flashlights (off topic)
Yahoo Message Number: 127347
I see that Meritline once again offers the Cree zooming LED flashlight for $8.99, or $7.98 apiece in a two-pack:
 http://www.meritline.com/adjustable-zoom-led-flashlight---p-35630.aspx

My friends and I have been using these for over a year, and they are by far the best and brightest pocket-sized flashlight I've found (and believe me, I've tried a lot!). The zoom lens gives you a choice between a broad, very even circle of illumination--perfect for walking at night, with no distracting hotspots--and an incredibly bright spot beam that will light up distant objects... or anything in between. regardless of zoom position, the light is brilliant.
 Battery life is excellent, and construction is extremely sturdy. I can't say enough good things about these flashlights. (No, I don't get a kickback from Meritline! ;-) After years of trying various LED flashlights, I've stopped buying anything else; I just buy these. I have one in the right pocket of every coat and jacket I own, one clipped to the ceiling of my overcab bed (I use a broom clip), one in each vehicle, plus a spare or two.
 They'd make great stocking stuffers, needless to say. :-) I recommend buying at least a two-pack, and I'm betting that once you see how good these are, you'll want more.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: Flashlights (off topic)
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 127348
Thanks for the heads-up Andy!  I just ordered (3) two packs..
One for the LD, a few for the kids and some hand-outs for my mother and sister-in law!  I can't complain about the price and got free shipping (ground) too..

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 127355
If you are a flashlight connoisseur, the Fenix TK35 is an amazing flashlight. It has a beam like a car headlight yet is lightweight and fits nicely in the hand - - it is not a little pocket flashlight though and it costs almost $100 (check Amazon).
It uses either two rechargeable Lithium Ion 18650 batteries or 4 CR123s. I recommend the 18650s, but be sure to get the ones with the 'circuit board' charge/short protector built in - - two of the batteries and charger will run about $25.
Fenix makes excellent quality lights, though they are more expensive than the ones by the checkout line.
 I've been carrying a little Fenix LD01 for years* (uses 1 AAA battery and puts out 77 lumens ' more than an old double D Mag-light) ' $39 or so. *actually, their older model that preceded the LD01.

bumper

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 127360
I am definitely one of the flashlight connoisseurs.  I have flashlights of every kind and description all over the house, and a couple in each vehicle.
That doesn't include the lanterns of up to 1-million CP.
 The best bang for the buck I have found is the 3-pack of Techlite Cree XPE LED flashlights at Costco for $19.99.  These are beautiful little flashlights with 150 lumens.  They use three AAA cells.  They seem to last about a year in the kind of use I give them.  I have a very expensive SureFire that is nowhere near as bright as these Cree's.  It is supposed to be good for tactical use (blinding), but it is only 80 lumens.

Dick

I've been carrying a little Fenix LD01 for years* (uses 1 AAA battery and puts out 77 lumens - more than an old double D Mag-light) - $39 or so.
*actually, their older model that preceded the LD01.

bumper

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 127361
I am definitely one of the flashlight connoisseurs.
Me too. Had four, ordered another four. Now I can toss all the others.
Thanks for the reminder Mr. Baird.

They light up a lot of dark space on wide focus and are blinding on narrow focus. That may interest those that tape a light to a weapon.

Our best to you. Merry Christmas.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 127363
"Is the one on Amazon with the same name for $2.99 the same one?"
 Amazon carries a lot of flashlights, and you didn't provide a link, so I don't know which $2.99 flashlight you mean... but the short answer is "no"--this flashlight on Amazon is the one I'm talking about:

http://tinyurl.com/7fknsqh
 Amazon sells it for $17.98 plus shipping--more than twice Meritline's price. This is one case where Amazon is NOT the place to go. :-)

Andy Baird

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 127367
I recently purchased this cree flashlight on ebay for $7.  What I liked about it, it only requires one AA battery.
The brightest flashlight I have ever owned.
300 lumens I think?

Was shipped directly from China, arrived

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 127369
"I recently purchased this cree flashlight on ebay for $7."
 As it happens, I have one of that model. Pro: it's nearly as bright as the 3-cell CREE model that I recently recommended. Cons: it's also nearly as big as the 3-cell flashlight, but it has only one-third the battery life.
 In short, it's a good flashlight, but given a choice, I'd pick the 3-cell version. It's not much bigger, and its batteries last *much* longer.

Andy Baird

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 127371
How much longer battery life Andy?  Twice? I have always disliked those "3 AAA side by side" flashlights.  But that just me...

Re: Flashlights
Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 127373
For those of you who don't want super bright lights and perhaps just want to get to the bathroom and don't want to deal with the flashing mode we use the 3 LED flashlights from Dollar Tree that cost $1 and run on 3 AAA batteries. They are plastic. I don't like aluminum flashlights as they are cold and if you should need to hold them with your teeth that sucks too.. These are comfortable in your hand and have a simple button on/off switch.
 Aside from that I like the LED flashlights that go on a band on your forehead. We each carry a single bright LED light on our key chains also.

Michelle Ress

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 127374
"How much longer battery life Andy?"
 Whoops! I misread your post, Steve--thought you said AA rather than AAA. (I should have known better, since I have that same flashlight clipped to the shelf next to my desk!) I was wrong; the 3-cell (AAA) CREE flashlight has only about 40%-50% longer battery life than the 1-cell (AA) version you bought.
 As I said, they're both good flashlights, and (I tested them just now) about equally bright. One's a little smaller and a little less expensive; the other has slightly longer battery life. You won't go wrong with either one. :-)

Andy
Andy Baird

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 127493
Just to let you know we received the flashlights yesterday from Meritline which I believe imports them from China and repackages them somewhere here in the states and then sends them to your house.  Anyway, received ours just in time for stocking stuffers for the kids and whatnot.. All have worked great and are SUPER bright with just the right amount of heft to them for their small size.  I'll be adding one into the LD as a permanent light for it.. Thanks again for the heads-up and Merry Christmas all!

-- Rick

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 127496
Santa just brought me the best flashlight I've ever seen.. It's a "Pelican Rechargeable 7060 LED". Lithium ion battery (3.7v, 2200 mAh, wieght 10.4 oz., 160 lumens, 254 meters affective range and made in the USA). These are the flashlights that the L.A.P.D. are using. Extremely light weight and durable! Thank you Santa.
Dale.

__

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 127502
Before buying the Pelican, 160 lumens and about $125 including batteries, you might also want to check out the Fenix TK 35 . . . at 820 lumens and $95. Even after buying two 1860 LiPo batteries and charger, $25, the Fenix absolutely smokes for a hand held, while the Pelican is more suitable if a weapon mounted light is needed . .  though a Streamlight TLR is better for rail mounting.

bumper

bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 127504
Bumper, I did check it out. While it is impressive, there were things I didn't like. The Fenix is made from aluminum which is not good for working around electronics, and is cold to the touch and cold/slippery in wet situations. I also prefer the Lithium-ion with charger set up.
Also the prices I saw for the Fenix were in the $110.00 range w/o bateries and charger. Not that the Pelican is cheap but Santa did the buying.
Dale.

__

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 127505
wrote: The Fenix is made from aluminum which is not good for working around electronics...
--- Please explain why? Thanks...

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 127506
wrote: The Fenix is made from aluminum which is not good for working around electronics...
--- Please explain why? Thanks...
Likely because it is conductive and represents a shorting risk if it is accidentally touched or dropped onto a live circuit.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 127507
"Likely because it is conductive and represents a shorting risk if it is accidentally touched or dropped onto a live circuit."

Art
BINGO!
 Art is correct! It's like going in to work on your batteries with a metal box/open end wrench. You'd better know where both ends are at the same time or you will be in for a big surprise.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 127520
Dale and all,
 Well, not exactly! Though the Fenix and many other lights are made from aluminum, most all of them are anodized or 'hard anodized' (a thicker and even more durable anodizing treatment). Anodized aluminum is an aluminum oxide surface layer, and aluminum oxide is an electrical insulator, unlike the conductive parent metal beneath. So unless working around voltages high enough to arc through the anodized layer, not likely in an LD, or unless the anodize layer is penetrated, not very easy during normal use, such a flashlight is not a good conductor at all. (When anodizing aluminum, an ohm meter is often used to 'test' the surface to see if it's anodized.)
 This is not to say one would want to throw their flashlight inside their TV and rattle it around, or lay the light on top the battery bank and go for a drive. But seriously, considering how these lights are used, an accidental short is not an issue with a small anodized aluminum flashlight.
 Yes, aluminum feels may feel cold initially, however it does warm to the hand quickly as it's thin. The Fenix TK35 shape, with the batteries side-by-side, feels comfortable and natural in the hand and is light weight. The body has fine circumferential grooves and ridges as well as a slightly larger ridge on the tail cap, If you greased down your hand and hit it with a fire hose you'd still have the light when you were done!
 One thing to be aware of when using any device that uses LiPo batteries is to be sure to use the batteries with the built in 'PC' or protective printed circuit board -  this to protect from fire to to overcharge or shorting. This feature will be noted in the 18650 battery description. Also, charge batteries in a fire-safe location. The risk may be small (the same type batteries are used in lap tops etc), but it's still worth considering.

bumper

bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 127524
Bumper, From where I come from: all metal still conducts electricity, cold metal is still cold and flashlights are a place for batteries to go and die. I'll still keep my 6 battery Mag-Lite to take walks on summer nights for warding off stray animals though.