Skip to main content
Topic: Update to a 30 foot Wave 3 install (Read 27 times) previous topic - next topic
Update to a 30 foot Wave 3 install
Yahoo Message Number: 127289
All, We have finished and checked the propane installation in our coach. After much discussion bordering on frustration at times, it was decided to locate the quick disconnect in the fire extinguisher alcove. This required moving the extinguisher  loser to the entry door. But it remains in the alcove.
The propane line makes some bends but runs under the drawer and into the chase under the floor. The propane line for the fridge runs through it as well as the battery wires. The second chase carries water.
 We decided to put the valve under the sink for easiest access. I could have used the propane splice under the fridge. But a valve under the drawers would not have been easy to get to.
I then teed off the line between fridge and furnace under the sink.  Dropped in the valve assembly and connected up the heater line.
We leak tested. Had two slow leaks that I was able to clearup ran fridge. Heater and stove all working.
Connected the flexible hose and fired up the Wave3.
 Ran the heater withe the entry door open. As a test and extra precaution. Heater threw up a wonderful wall of heat the cold did not overcome.
 Weather here getting colder. Coach back in storage for a few days. Really happy with outcome this far. I'll try posting pictures here.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Lydia.
Lydia.
Current: 2020 JLUR w 15’ Squaredrop
Former: 2006 30IB Anniversary Edition

Re: Update to a 30 foot Wave 3 install
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 127291
"...I'll try posting pictures here."

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Lydia.

Please do.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 127298
Chris,
 Pictures are up in the Bella LaGoSee album. The new medicine cabinet mod is there too.

Again, thanks everybody! Lydia and Robin
Lydia.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 127304
Have a quick question.  I have been following this thread and haven't seen an answer, so here goes.  I just ordered a WAVE 3 from Amazon for my MB and was thinking about hooking it up to a separate propane tank (portable) rather than hooking it up to the main tank, putting the tank in the cab area behind a heavy quilt and putting the heater by the dinette.  Is the a dumb, dangerous idea, or will it work?  I want to be able to use the WAVE other than in the MB as well.

Thanks.

__ From: Kate K kate@...>
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Monday, December 12, 2011 10:08 PM
 Subject: [LD] Re: Update to a 30 foot Wave 3 install

Pictures are up in the Bella LaGoSee album. The new medicine cabinet mod is there too.

Hey Guys, very nice job on the installation.

Kate http://cholulared.blogspot.com http://www.cholulared.com

Living somewhere near the corner of no and where

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 127308
"I just ordered a WAVE 3 from Amazon for my MB and was thinking about hooking it up to a separate propane tank (portable) rather than hooking it up to the main tank, putting the tank in the cab area behind a heavy quilt and putting the heater by the dinette."
 My two cents worth: using a portable propane tank in your living quarters is too risky for my taste, and I'm pretty sure that Olympian, the Wave3's maker, would tell you not to do it.
 With a separate tank and heater, this would be a clumsy arrangement anyway. If you want a portable catalytic heater for use outside the coach, why not buy one of the one-piece Coleman models designed for the purpose?

http://tinyurl.com/dyrqnsq

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 127321
Chris,

Nice photos and a great looking medicine cabinet.  Did you post details about how that came about?

Chris

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 127323
Photos are nice - where did the rack
20 + MH's since 1977 incl...
Past
FMC, 2x GMC's, Foretravel, 2x LD
Present
1996 LD RB under restoration, my project to keep me off the streets.

Medicine cabinet
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 127324
" Nice photos and a great looking medicine cabinet.  Did you post details about how that came about?"

Chris, No we didn't post how that happened. Mainly we struggled for a year trying various cheapo options on how to handle all the typical bathroom stuff and our heat issues in the desert. Stuff melted, even toothbrush bristles fuse together. It made sense to alleviate the heat, UV damage and sand blasting by getting a garage.  Another long story! ;-)

Anyway....
 When we were down at the factory we noticed LD started putting in medicine cabinets and shortening the width of the mirror. We asked how much an LD cabinet would cost. Todd told us...
After gathering our chins off the floor from the shock, we decided to pursue a medicine cabinet solution elsewhere. After looking at all the options in others albums and blogs, we thought we would do something similar. The thing we kept trying to find was something lighter than a wooden cabinet.
Glad we were persistent. Found this cabinet at IKEA. The thing is stainless steel has a real mirror like finish and the legs that support it were in the kitchen department. 8" long.
 We loved everything about it. Weight, solid door latching (keyed), reversible door mounting, ready made anti-contents spill ledges on each shelf, door storage, depth and COST. It was a no brainer for us.
 Also the mounting holes provided in the cabinet lined up just peachy with the framing and kitchen cabinets on the other side of the wall. Good supports for the cabinet without altering the LD cabinet above as a crutch. We debated not using the legs, but got to liking it that way so we left them. We used Extreme heat mounting tape rather than screws for the legs. It is found at Home Depot.
 Then we reused the original mirror and cut it down for a $5 cut fee. We left a very small gap between the mirror and the cabinet. There were some mirror mount holes left, but putty took care of those.
 IKEA does make a white version.  Here are the links to the items we used.
 http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/24586510/#/40012497

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20049538/

regards, Lydia
Lydia.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 127325
"River_Rd"  wrote:

Photos are nice - where did the rack in the galley come from ? Dave W
Dave,
 We bought this some time ago in the Improvementscatalog.com. Its not available from them any more. My purchase history calls it 350533 / CLEANING SUPPLIES STORAGE RACK 1
 I googled it and found it at skymall. And it so happens to list improvements and the 350533 part number on the ad. Perhaps they still have it. And its cheaper there than what we paid for it.

http://tinyurl.com/6wjlssa
 We did add a piece of metal in the lower right hand corner to hold the spice cans. That metal was at IKEA.It was a bright shiny stainless steel place mat.

Lydia
Lydia.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 127326
Thanks Lydia !

Dave W
20 + MH's since 1977 incl...
Past
FMC, 2x GMC's, Foretravel, 2x LD
Present
1996 LD RB under restoration, my project to keep me off the streets.

Re: Medicine cabinet
Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 127331

" Nice photos and a great looking medicine cabinet.  Did you post details about how that came about?"

Chris, No we didn't post how that happened. Mainly we struggled for a year trying various cheapo options on how to handle all the typical bathroom stuff and our heat issues in the desert. Stuff melted, even toothbrush bristles fuse together. It made sense to alleviate the heat, UV damage and sand blasting by getting a garage.  Another long story! ;-)

Anyway....
 When we were down at the factory we noticed LD started putting in medicine cabinets and shortening the width of the mirror. We asked how much an LD cabinet would cost. Todd told us...
After gathering our chins off the floor from the shock, we decided to pursue a medicine cabinet solution elsewhere. After looking at all the options in others albums and blogs, we thought we would do something similar. The thing we kept trying to find was something lighter than a wooden cabinet.
Glad we were persistent. Found this cabinet at IKEA. The thing is stainless steel has a real mirror like finish and the legs that support it were in the kitchen department. 8" long.
 We loved everything about it. Weight, solid door latching (keyed), reversible door mounting, ready made anti-contents spill ledges on each shelf, door storage, depth and COST. It was a no brainer for us.
 Also the mounting holes provided in the cabinet lined up just peachy with the framing and kitchen cabinets on the other side of the wall. Good supports for the cabinet without altering the LD cabinet above as a crutch. We debated not using the legs, but got to liking it that way so we left them. We used Extreme heat mounting tape rather than screws for the legs. It is found at Home Depot.
 Then we reused the original mirror and cut it down for a $5 cut fee. We left a very small gap between the mirror and the cabinet. There were some mirror mount holes left, but putty took care of those.
 IKEA does make a white version.  Here are the links to the items we used.
 http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/24586510/#/40012497

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20049538/

regards, Lydia
Lydia, I have a couple of questions about your medicine cabinet installation.  Would you please contact me off line? chorst_2000 at yahoo.com

Chris