Skip to main content
Topic: Magnets (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Magnets
Yahoo Message Number: 127254
Andy:
 The comment about magnets set off a thought chain.  I have tried velcro to secure sunscreen cloth to the rear window of my '02MB.  As might be expected, heat just melted the glue off.  I even tried using some hot glue to stick the velcro on, but still no luck.  It would take two people but what about a magnet on the inside of the glass mating up with a magnet on the outside and on top of the cloth?

Re: Magnets
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 127255
Using magnets is a good idea, but you might be better off gluing some small steel washers to the window frame.  Then using magnets to pinch your cloth to the washers.

Just a thought.

-Victor

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 127257
I tried the small "craft magnets" mentioned previously, but the don't have much grip when separated by the thick panes of glass used by Lazy Daze. I think a moderate wind would probably be enough to blow away a sunscreen held on this way.
 I think Victor's idea of washers on the outside of the window frames is more likely to succeed, but that brings us back to the question of an adhesive that will stay put in outdoor weather conditions.
 My first suggestion would be 3M Exterior Mounting Tape (http://tinyurl.com/86fbgg8). It's similar or identical to 3M VHB, which is used to mount solar panels. You can sometimes find 3M Exterior Mounting Tape in auto-parts stores, because it's used to mount automotive trim. Or you can order it online using the link above. It's a super-durable, hard-gripping double-sided tape.
 I'd get some 1/2" or 3/4" steel washers, maybe paint them black so they wouldn't stand out, and mount them to the window frame (or perhaps to the coach's body just outside the window frame) using Exterior Mounting Tape. Then I'd sew neodymium magnets into small pockets in the sunscreen cloth, positioned to mate with the washers.
 Actually, I'd like to do this myself for my rig next summer. Where did you get the sunscreen cloth? Was it something like this: http://tinyurl.com/cvfvnfh>?

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 127258
I'd suggest Gorilla glue to stick steel onto glass.  Please make a couple trials before the real thing!
 Gorilla is honey-like to apply and expands to white foam.  Use some masking, and cut away excess as it hardens.  Parts must be held

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 127259

"I think Victor's idea of washers on the outside of the window frames is more likely to succeed, but that brings us back to the question of an adhesive that will stay put in outdoor weather conditions."
If I were doing this I would probably go to an automotive parts store and buy a small tube of the compound used to remount a rear-view mirror after it's fallen off the glass windshield. Or 5-min Epoxy might work also.
 Take that and four appropriately sized 'fender' washers (more surface area) and attach them to each corner of the window glass on the outside. Then proceed to mount the garden cloth using magnets.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 127260
Got it at Home Depot.  I think it comes in 30'rolls.  A bunch of us used this 6' wide to make awning sunscreens using screen welting to fit in the awning groove.  If I did this correctly, this link will take you to some pictures that include my sunscreen at Quartzsite 2010
 http://picasaweb.google.com/117053118476264241406/Quartzsite2011?feat=email&gsessionid=-n-18SsYBFQglnV2oED0OQ#

Magnets
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 127261
Use some masking, and cut away excess as it hardens.  Parts must be held in position for 8 hours or so, then holds in every condition I've seen to now.

John
I dunno. I would get tired after 3 or 4 hours ;-) Tom

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 127262
If you need some really strong magnets, try taking apart an old computer hard drive.. They're a great source for magnets and you will need to be careful with them because you can harm yourself with most of them if you pinch skin between them it will hurt quite a bit.  We had a secretary back in the mid 80's that had that happen to her when I took the magnets out of some old RK07 removable disk drives (from Digital Equipment if you recall that company)..   If you do use this approach on the LD, make sure you control the application to ensure you do NOT break your window as these magnets are very strong and if you haphazardly try to put the magnet in place it may jump out of your hand onto the window...

I've had these on fridges in the past and they stick VERY well! I am sure they WILL hold your window cover..

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 127270
Use some masking, and cut away excess as it hardens.  Parts must be held in position for 8 hours or so, then holds in every condition I've seen to now.

John

I dunno. I would get tired after 3 or 4 hours ;-) Tom
If my clamps don't fit, I usually use a piece of tape.
John