Skip to main content
Topic: What's the difference between the RV-30S and HPV-22B Solar Controlle (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic
What's the difference between the RV-30S and HPV-22B Solar Controlle
Yahoo Message Number: 127212
My 2003ML has the RV-30S solar controller. I keep reading that everyone else has the HPV-22B. What's the difference and should I be concerned about mine? I will appreciate your response.
 Question: Is it ok to send pictures with email or should they be posted to a web alblum? Bill

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: What's the difference between the RV-30S and HPV-22B Solar Contr
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 127214
"My 2003ML has the RV-30S solar controller. I keep reading that everyone else has the HPV-22B. What's the difference and should I be concerned about mine?"

Bill
Bill

Hurry - Hurry - Read all about it!
 http://www.heliotrope-pv.com/index.html

Heliotrope is a division of AM Solar. Take a look at the Heliotrope site and you'll find your answers.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 127215
lejest2003  wrote: Heliotrope is a division of AM Solar. Take a look at the Heliotrope site and you'll find your answers.
--- The HPV22B is no longer manufactured:
 http://www.heliotrope-pv.com/hpv22b.html

AM Solar's current line of charge controllers:
 http://www.amsolar.com/home/amr/smartlist_14/charge_controllers.html 
Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 127217
"My 2003ML has the RV-30S solar controller. I keep reading that everyone else has the HPV-22B. What's the difference and should I be concerned about mine?"
 Yes. The RV-30 is a crude device that wastes a lot of power. Substituting an MPPT (maximum power point tracking) controller such as the HPV-22 (if you can find one) or the SBV 2000E or SB 2512ix controllers that AM Solar is now selling will significantly increase the amount of charging amps you get from your panel(s).
 It's not that the MPPT controllers make power out of thin air... they just don't throw it away by the handful the way the RV-30 does. The result, based on my measurements, is anywhere from 15% to 30% more juice from the same panels. This isn't a cheap upgrade, but it's a very beneficial one.
 "Is it ok to send pictures with email or should they be posted to a web alblum?"
 Photos and other attachments are stripped off by Yahoo, so they won't show up here. (We experimented with allowing them, but it caused more problems than it was worth.) So post them to an album, either here or on a free service such as Flickr, Picasa, or SnapFish.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 127220
Yes. The RV-30 is a crude device that wastes a lot of power. Substituting an MPPT (maximum power point tracking) controller such as the HPV-22 (if you can find one) or the SBV 2000E or SB 2512ix controllers that AM Solar is now selling will significantly increase the amount of charging amps you get from your panel(s).
Andy's point is valid, but calling the RV-30 'crude' is overstating its relation to MPPT controllers. It IS an intelligent, pulse-width-modulation (PWM) precision controller, and I would only consider upgrading to an MPPT controller if yours currently produces slightly too little charging for your needs. If, however, your batteries are pretty much staying fully charged now, and you don't anticipate needing a bit more in the future, upgrading would be a waste of money.
 The charge controller I used previously was of a type called a 'shunt controller'. It was 'dumb', crude, and took a long time time bring the batteries to a true full charge. Either a smart PWM controller like yours OR an MPPT model would significantly improve my situation, and the difference in price is small - so I chose an MPPT model. An upgrade in your case would not deliver nearly the same results as mine.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 127224
Steve, Andy, Thank you. It's never good to find out the one you have is discontinued but it's good to know it's been superceded by a better unit. My RV-30 seems to work fine but I do watch the batteries to make sure they aren't overcharging.  If it stops charging or starts to prove inadequate, I'll upgrade. For now, I'll let it be.
Thank you again, Bill