Skip to main content
Topic: Kindle Updates (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Kindle Updates
Yahoo Message Number: 126762
Andy...
Now that the new Kindles are here, can you give us any updated information based on your experience.  I am leaning towards the Kindle Touch as my main E-Reader.  Any comments comparing the basic Kindle to the Touch and Fire?  Andd with or without ads! Many thank in advance!  David

Re: Kindle Updates
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 126765
David, I'm not Andy, but when we were on a trip last summer, my sister-in law had an IPad she was using as an e-reader, while we were using our basic Kindles.  She found the following problems with the IPad compared to the Kindles:
1. Hard to read in bright light.
2. Short battery life.
 I assume the Kindle Fire would have the same problems.  At the end of the boat trip, she had decided to get a e-paper technology Kindle.
HTH.

Barry .... Any comments comparing the basic Kindle to the Touch and Fire? Andd with or without ads! Many thank in advance! David

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 126768
"Now that the new Kindles are here, can you give us any updated information based on your experience. I am leaning towards the Kindle Touch as my main E-Reader. Any comments comparing the basic Kindle to the Touch and Fire?"
 I'm working on an extensive article about ereaders, but it'll be a few days before I can finish it. Here's my opinion in a nutshell: the $99 Kindle Touch is the sweet spot in the new Amazon product line, and I believe the best overall choice among ereaders on today's market.
 I already have the new $79 low-end Kindle, and while it's not bad, I find the controls--including the crucial page-turning buttons--annoyingly small. I believe the extra thirty bucks for the Touch will be money well spent. (I'll know better when I get mine--it's supposed to ship tomorrow.)
 I recommend buying the less expensive "with special offers" (ads) version. The ads only appear on the screensaver and in a small banner at the bottom of the menu page--never when you're reading a book!--so they're not really annoying. And if you do decide later on that you'd rather live without them, you can pay the extra thirty or forty bucks and have them removed. In other words, buying the less expensive "with special offers" version doesn't lock you into viewing ads forever... so it makes sense to do so, and see how you like it.
 The $199 Kindle Fire tablet is in a different category from the E-ink-based b&w Kindles just mentioned. It's more than twice as heavy as the other Kindles, and has a battery life measured in hours rather than weeks. Text isn't as sharp, either. If your primary desire is for an ereader, the Fire isn't the best choice.
 As a tablet computer, it has one big selling point: low cost. But once you get past that, it's slow, feature-poor (no volume control buttons? Come on!), offers a very limited selection of applications compared to an iPad or even a generic Android tablet... and its small screen makes it only marginally suitable for web browsing and reading magazines. I have no doubt that Amazon will sell a lot of these just based on the company's marketing clout and the low pricetag, but given its limitations and its "Jack of all trades, but master of none" character, it's hard to recommend at this point.
 I do have a Kindle Fire on order--in fact, it has already been delivered to my mail forwarding service in Livingston, TX, but it'll be a week or so before I get to a stable location and can have it sent to me--so the above comments are based on extensive reading of reviews, watching videos, and talking with a friend who has one. If my opinions change once I've had time to get familiar with it, I'll let you know. :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 126771
"She found the following problems with the IPad compared to the Kindles: 1. Hard to read in bright light. 2. Short battery life. I assume the Kindle Fire would have the same problems."
 Yup. That's the nature of backlit LCD screens: they use lots of power, and they're not good in sunlight. And those things apply equally to the iPad and the Kindle Fire--neither one is an ideal ereader... unless maybe you do a lot of reading in bed. But in that situation, you can add an inexpensive book light to an E-ink-based Kindle:

http://tinyurl.com/7pwwsx4

Andy Baird

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 126773
Andy...thanks so much for your prompt answer and great review!  Happy Holidays as I have just chosen my Xmas present...The Kindle Touch with cover and light.  Yahoo!

__ From: Andy Baird andybaird@...>
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2011 10:10 AM
 Subject: [LD] Re: Kindle Updates

"Now that the new Kindles are here, can you give us any updated information based on your experience. I am leaning towards the Kindle Touch as my main E-Reader. Any comments comparing the basic Kindle to the Touch and Fire?"
 I'm working on an extensive article about ereaders, but it'll be a few days before I can finish it. Here's my opinion in a nutshell: the $99 Kindle Touch is the sweet spot in the new Amazon product line, and I believe the best overall choice among ereaders on today's market.
 I already have the new $79 low-end Kindle, and while it's not bad, I find the controls--including the crucial page-turning buttons--annoyingly small. I believe the extra thirty bucks for the Touch will be money well spent. (I'll know better when I get mine--it's supposed to ship tomorrow.)
 I recommend buying the less expensive "with special offers" (ads) version. The ads only appear on the screensaver and in a small banner at the bottom of the menu page--never when you're reading a book!--so they're not really annoying. And if you do decide later on that you'd rather live without them, you can pay the extra thirty or forty bucks and have them removed. In other words, buying the less expensive "with special offers" version doesn't lock you into viewing ads forever... so it makes sense to do so, and see how you like it.
 The $199 Kindle Fire tablet is in a different category from the E-ink-based b&w Kindles just mentioned. It's more than twice as heavy as the other Kindles, and has a battery life measured in hours rather than weeks. Text isn't as sharp, either. If your primary desire is for an ereader, the Fire isn't the best choice.
 As a tablet computer, it has one big selling point: low cost. But once you get past that, it's slow, feature-poor (no volume control buttons? Come on!), offers a very limited selection of applications compared to an iPad or even a generic Android tablet... and its small screen makes it only marginally suitable for web browsing and reading magazines. I have no doubt that Amazon will sell a lot of these just based on the company's marketing clout and the low pricetag, but given its limitations and its "Jack of all trades, but master of none" character, it's hard to recommend at this point.
 I do have a Kindle Fire on order--in fact, it has already been delivered to my mail forwarding service in Livingston, TX, but it'll be a week or so before I get to a stable location and can have it sent to me--so the above comments are based on extensive reading of reviews, watching videos, and talking with a friend who has one. If my opinions change once I've had time to get familiar with it, I'll let you know. :-)

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 126776
I own both a Kindle Fire and a 3G e-ink version.  I use both, at different times.

For long reading sessions, especially
2003 MB

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 126778
Andy wrote...

For a really in depth review of the new Kindle Fire Tablet, I found a really great article that goes into extreme detail. It agrees with what Andy said above!

Check it out...
 http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/11/11/20/amazons_new_kindle_fire_tablet_an_in_depth_review.html

Ed 94' 26.5' MidBath Red Lazy Daze named "

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 126784
Interesting article. One point.
An Amazon $200 Fire makes no pretense of being a $500 iPad. Two very different animals. Like trying to compare an iPad to a computer.
A Fire is a superb Amazon sales tool. Its sole purpose in life is to sell Amazon books, Amazon music, Amazon movies, Amazon apps, on & on & on. That's why Amazon sells them below manufacturing cost.
 My wife has all the toys. An iPad I, Kindle reader and as of last week, a Fire. Her e-book reader of choice is either the iPad or Fire because the back lighted displays suit her best. Then again, she does her reading indoors; not in bright sunlight where the Kindle wins hands down. Short battery life of the Fire/iPad is not an issue at home, or in an RV. Simply plug it in. They draw next to nothing in amperage. For her, WiFi is no issue either. We have a wireless router we simply move from home to RV & back as needed. No need for 3G.
 When she wants to do e-mail, Facebook, or whatever she uses the iPad because the screen is much larger; makes for easier navigating.

One woman's opinion as relayed by me.
 My opinion? I don't see much added value from the Fire. Between the iPad and Kindle I thought the bases were pretty much covered. Then again, I don't recall being asked for my opinion.  ;-)

Ed

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 126787
How do you connect to the Internet?  I have never seen a wireless router that could do that unless it had a direct connection to cable or a DSL line.

Dick

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 126788
How do you connect to the Internet?  I have never seen a wireless router that could do that unless it had a direct connection to cable or a DSL line.
Devices like Mifi or Cradlepoint routers can provide cellular to wifi data service in an RV.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 126789
The people on a kindle list that I am on just love their new Kindle Fire Tablet. I am not tempted because I love my kindle and my Sony eReader and I already have a ASUS Tablet that I also love and that does what the other two don't do. But those people on the list don't have a tablet and that's mostly what the Fire is. They watch movies and check emails and occasionally download books. But I bet they go back to the Kindle to do the most of their reading. It will be interesting to see if they continue to love that Fire.
Denise

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 126791
Thanks Art I am familiar with the Verizon Mifi, but did not know about the Cradlepoint routers.  I would call these devices mobile hotspots or mobile modems.  To me, a wireless router is an entirely different animal.  Thanks for the info.

Dick
 [mailto:lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of older_fossil Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2011 3:20 PM
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Subject: [LD] Re: Kindle Updates

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 126792
We've had a Cradlepoint router in our motor home for years.  A Verizon modem provides the input to it.  Using it right now.
 We also have a Droid X phone. It plus PDAnet software can deliver the Internet to a computer.  Even via Bluetooth.  And no "jail breaking" needed with Droids (in contrast to iPhones).
 I'm waiting for someone to figure out how to have a Droid deliver Internet to a Cradlepoint....

best, paul
 *"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." Steve Jobs*
 Devices like Mifi or Cradlepoint routers can provide cellular to wifi data

service in an RV.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 126793
"I would call [the Cradlepoint routers] mobile hotspots or mobile modems."
 The Cradlepoint routers don't include any modem capability. You must plug in your own 3G or 4G aircard, cell modem, or cell phone; the Cradlepoint device then makes that connection available via Wi-Fi. Basically this is just like from plugging a DSL or cable modem into a conventional Wi-Fi router; the only difference is that the Cradlepoint routers are compatible with cell phone equipment.

Andy Baird

wireless routers
Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 126794
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 16:08:40 -0700, "W6CCD" w6ccd@...> wrote:

To me, a wireless router is an entirely different animal.
In addition to accepting a CAT5 cable, the Cradlepoint and Kyocera wireless routers also accept a USB cell modem. You just plug it in, and the router establishes a connection and broadcasts a wi-fi signal.
We have used it at home and on the road for four years, the last two years with Millenicom which uses the Verizon network but for the same price has four times the Verizon limit - 20 GB. It's an essential piece of gear for us.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 126795
As a practical matter,  inside an LD, is there an advantage for the cradlepoint over a cellphone hotspot?

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 126796
Fire. A few comments from a user.
Unlike the iPad, the Fire can run Adobe Flash Player so it can view movies & TV shows that cannot be viewed on an iPad.
The Fire comes with a few installed apps. Not surprisingly, one of the apps. takes you directly to the Amazon store. These pre-installed apps. cannot be deleted. Surprise, surprise. Again, reinforcing that the Fire is basically an Amazon marketing tool.
Sync. A really neat feature is the ability to sync. books between different Amazon devices. If Carol is reading a book on her Kindle then picks up the Fire to continue the book, the Fire takes her just where she left off on the Kindle. Cool.
The built in browser really is nice.  Tabs, attractive appearance, very readable. Has all of the major features of the other browsers.
If you're reading a book and an e-mail comes in, you'll be notified by a sound and you simply read the e-mail on the Fire.
At this time, the selection of apps. is very limited. Nothing like for Apple or Android.
 If you are an Amazon Prime customer, you have access to 3,215 free movies & TV shows. Now these are not your current blockbusters but a decent selection nonetheless. (Be careful here. Videos can burn through your monthly internet data allowance real quick) Plus once a month you can borrow a book to read; no charge. Plus there are 5,463 free books you can read.  FYI. You can also read/view these on your computer; no need for a Fire to use Amazon Prime. A laptop will do just fine. That plus $79 a year.

ed

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 126797
Does your smart phone have a port to direct connect a cell phone booster & roof mounted antenna?  These items can prove very useful

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 126798
"As a practical matter, inside an LD, is there an advantage for the cradlepoint over a cellphone hotspot?"

Several.

1. A Cradlepoint router lets you switch from 3G to 4G, or switch providers (say, AT&T to Verizon), without replacing your whole outfit. Just plug in the new phone, USB cell modem or aircard.

2. It has much better Wi-Fi range than a cell phone-based hotspot, because it has multiple antennas (most Cradlepoint models) and can be connected to an external Wi-Fi antenna for even greater range.

3. It's more versatile, offering input connections via USB, Ethernet, card slot, etc.

4. The better Cradlepoint models can do "load balancing," where if you have two USB modems (yes, I know people who do!), it will share data between them in order to make the best use of both, and make the resulting high-capacity connection available to all your devices within Wi-Fi range.

5. It doesn't tie up your phone.

6. It doesn't run down your phone's batteries, or require you to tether the phone to a power cord.

There are probably other reasons that I'm not thinking of right now, but those should be enough to give you the idea.

Andy Baird

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 126800
"Unlike the iPad, the Fire can run Adobe Flash Player..."
 Which Adobe announced last week that they're stopping development of. Mobile Flash is now officially dead; Adobe says its future efforts will be devoted to HTML5. (Sorry, couldn't resist pointing this out. ;-)

Andy Baird

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 126802
I use a Wilson Booster and a cradle with my cell phone.
If I understand what you are saying, the cradle point has an advantage

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 126806
The antenna plugs directly into the USB modem and the USB modem is inserted into the Cradlepoint router.
 We have a Panatech UML290 USB modem (Verizon) and it has an antenna port.
In fact, it has two antenna ports...one for 3G and one for 4G.

Linda Hylton http://earl-linda.blogspot.com
Linda Hylton

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 126835
Andy said:  "I believe the extra thirty bucks for the Touch will be money well spent. (I'll know better when I get mine--it's supposed to ship tomorrow.)"

Andy: Did you buy the wifi or the 3G version of the Kindle Touch?