Skip to main content
Topic: scary story with a happy ending (OFF TOPIC) (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
scary story with a happy ending (OFF TOPIC)
Yahoo Message Number: 126547
Friends,
 There are many people on this list who have met my husband, Bernard Marks, including those who attended the 2010 and 2011 Balloon Fiesta.
 I'm writing to let you know that Bernie has been critically ill since October 15. He collapsed while painting in front of his gallery (Waxlander Fine Arts) during Santa Fe's annual "Canyon Road Paint Out" event. In our local hospital, he was diagnosed with a virulent, fast-spreading form of Encephalitis. This disease has a mortality rate between 25%-75%, depending on the promptness and accuracy of the diagnosis and treatment. Fortunately, Bernie received both quickly and accurately and has survived.
 He was taken by ambulance to the Univ. of NM Hospital's Trauma Center in Albuquerque, where he spent 3 weeks in the Neurological ICU and sub-acute wards. He came home last weekend and is now in the early stages of a recovery period that could last as long as a year.
 We are so lucky. Bernie appears likely to be among the tiny percentage of Encephalitis survivors who ultimately recover their full brain functionality and motor skills. He's already made what one of his doctors in ABQ called "the fastest and best recovery" that he'd ever seen in an Encephalitis patient. Not bad for a 72-year-old man.
 The long-term outlook is that we'll be back in our 2009 MB ("BluCon") in time to enjoy a great trip next summer. We look forward to seeing you all somewhere down the road!

Martha in Santa Fe

Re: scary story with a happy ending (OFF TOPIC)
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 126548
Oh, Martha, what a scare for you and Bernie.  I am thankful that he was caught in time and is well on the way to a recovery. Our thoughts and prayers go out to both of you.

Linda and John Larkspur, CO

__

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 126550
Holy smokes! I'm so glad Bernie came through the illness, and I wish him a speedy and full recovery.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 126552
Martha, how scary for you both -- and how fortunate Bernie is among that survivor percentage.   I'm glad to hear of Bernie's rapid recovery; that's surely a positive sign the remainder of his recuperation will proceed like greased lightening!  Well, at least lightening with 72 year old grease!!

Lorna

Coarsegold http://uppity-woman.blogspot.com//

2003 RB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 126555
Martha and Bernie,
 That is so very scary, however I am so happy he is on the road to recovery.  My thoughts and prayers are with you both. Looking forward to seeing you again on the road.

Jim Melvin

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 126556
Martha, So sorry for the scare and so happy to hear of his remarkable healing ongoing.

Andrea Eagles

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 126581
Martha & Bernie, My thoughts and prayers are with you you.  And the next time I am in SF I will look you up ! Betty Jean, Circus Wagon & "the girls"