Skip to main content
Topic: RB Above stove cabinet (Read 14 times) previous topic - next topic
RB Above stove cabinet
Yahoo Message Number: 126520
For those with a Rear Bath model what have you done to improve the usefulness of the cabinet above the stove. I need some ideas as every time the wife reaches up to get something out of it, it hurts my hearing, if you know what I mean.
 We put a sliding drawer under the forward facing cabinet seat. We put two sliding shelves under the sink. We put a sliding shelf under the drawer under the refrigerator. I can think of nothing to improve the utility of the cabinet over the stove.
 Counter space and shelf space on the RB is terrible. "Must have been designed by a man" is the echo when my hearing returns.
Harry 2006 RB 26ft.
Harry 2006RB

Re: RB Above stove cabinet
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 126521

"...Counter space and shelf space on the RB is terrible. "Must have been designed by a man" is the echo when my hearing returns.
Harry 2006 RB 26ft."

Remember the RB was originally marketed as the "party plan" - I guess because of it's open layout and seating capacity.  It would follow that something had to give space-wise to accommodate the seating capacity and counter/shelf space appears to have been what suffered.  Actually, there is a lot of everyday living functionality designed into the RB.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 126523
"Counter space and shelf space on the RB is terrible. "Must have been designed by a man" is the echo when my hearing returns."

Harry
 Well, your wife is right (as always), it was designed by a man, Steve.
The RB uses the dinette table as part of the preparation area and that's just the way it is. Every floorplan has it advantages and disadvantages.
 As for the overhead storage, what is the problem, lack of shelves or is it too high up for your wife to reach.
My wife is very short and uses a folding step stool to access the high shelves.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/e-z-foldz-folding-step-stool/3807> You could reconfigure the shelves, if that is the problem.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 126542
Harry, if you have pictures of your modifications and what kind of drawers you used, I'd love to see them. I have a RB.

Andrea

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 126546
A custom cabinet maker did them as a favor to a friend, me. I paid him $300 and was grateful to get it done. I'll work on the pictures. Send me an email address. hbn7hj at aol dot com.
 No more bitchin' about the other inconvenient storage spaces but the one over the stove is a challenge. Try and store plates and glasses up there and at best you have to move something to get something. At worst you are wearing it when you open the door.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 126549
"Try and store plates and glasses up there and at best you have to move something to get something."
 I solved that problem by using spring-type doorstops as separators. They keep dishes from moving around, but easily bend out of the way when you want to remove something from the cupboard. Here's a photo:
 http://www.andybaird.com/travels/gertie/doorstops.jpg

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 126551
Quote from: Harry Bawcom"

For those with a Rear Bath model what have you done to improve the usefulness of the cabinet above the stove?

Hi Harry,
 Mine is a 2003 RB, and I use the above-the-stove-cabinet for all dry food; the small, perpendicular cabinet between the dinette and the couch is equipped with doubling wire racks that store all my table ware.  The cabinet above the stove is organized thusly:  little-used staples (flour, sugar, season packets) in containers on the narrow, upper shelf; tall stuff (olive oil, coffee, spaghetti in tall plastic containers with snap lids) in the left hand "submerged" section; and the main shelf is equipped with a circulating platter and a small wire shelf that doubles the space.
 If you were the same person wondering about RB counter space, some of my solutions over the years are:  removing the metal stove lid and replacing it with a wooden (Camping World) "cutting board" (that I use for prep only, not cutting!); keeping the left hand sink covered with whatever came with the rig; lifting the left-hand counter extension so it's level with the main counter; and I make constant use of the dinette table -- very handy, very large.  Behind the 7.5" area between the wall and sink/stove is where I keep a compact, narrow (IKEA) dish drainer, a container of tableware and a container of large cooking implements, a small fruit bowl, and of course, the requisite dish next to the door for keys and other "detritus" we all seem to collect!
 Have fun figuring it out -- try moving stuff around and see what works best.  Besides its fabulous layout, I think the RB model has plenty of efficient, usable space.

Lorna in Coarsegold http://uppity-woman.blogspot.com/
2003 RB

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 126578
Upon first glance at the [lack of] obvious counter space in our RB, I was appalled, but after a few trips, I have come to terms with the space available, enlarging it ad hoc as my needs dictate.
 Mostly I use two separate glass cutting boards that are about 20" in width by 12" deep.  Sometimes I have them both out, using one of the stove top, and one on the sink(s), or just one or the other.  They have provided all the space I need to cook full dinners just like I do at home.  They serve as cutting/prep areas, with the added feature of being impervious to heat, so I can set any hot pot down on them without worry.

I can't imagine cooking in that kitchen without these helpers.
 As for the cabinet above the stove, I don't put any foodstuffs in there (except coffee and cocoa mix on the left-hand side) because of the heat from the stove.  I use the right-hand part of this space for my eating, baking, and serving dishes, cups, glasses.
 For these dishes, I keep them all in a dishpan, and am able, by feel mostly, to easily retrieve the most commonly-used items in a fraction of a second.  The less-frequently-used ones are at the bottom of the stack, so I just pull the whole thing down to root for whatever I need.  It is fairly light because I use Corelle, and they are much lighter than say, stoneware, but not as light as Melamine.  Still, this is not a problem.
 If I need extra counter space, I pull out one of the drawers and plop a smaller cutting board on it, but this is a last resort, and works well ONLY if there is no one else in the coach at the time, if you get my drift!
 I seldom use the dinette table for meal prep as that is where my computer lives - and where we eat.  So when the computer goes away, it is replaced by place settings and diners!
 All in all, it isn't as bad as I'd first feared, and after the first couple of days in the rig, I can almost always remember where I put things!

Virtual hugs,

Judie (2005 RB) Not quite so grounded in Sierra Vista, Arizona

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 126587
I just posted this link on another thread, but thought I'd put it here also.  One of the things we've done in the over the stove cabinet is put a paper plate holder on the door.  This makes them very handy to access and uses an otherwise dead space.

Pictures can be seen here (scroll down)
 http://cholulared.com/AboutCholulaRed/Kitchen.html

This idea came from Mimi and Jonna originally.

Kate
 http://cholulared.blogspot.com http://www.cholulared.com

Living somewhere near the corner of no and where

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 126607
The paper plate holder idea, one of many  ideas "adopted" from Kate's blog, worked like a charm for the first four years  or so after we put it up.
This past trip, I couldn't get the bottom  piece to stop falling and donking me in the head every time I opened that  cabinet, so it is currently held in place with electrical tape and a piece of  toothpick (spouse has never been concerned with elegance, but he gets the job  done).  It makes replacing the plates a dite tedious, but that only happens  every couple of weeks.
 Another idea I tried to adopt is the tension curtain rod in  the shower, which I wanted to use to hang towels to dry.  Our LD is the 30  foot island bed, so one of its shower walls is at right angles to the outside  wall and the other is slanted, so where the shower wall meets the outside wall  is an acute angle.  Kate, how do you make the curtain rod stay up?  I  tried a silicone wedge, and some earthquake putty,  but couldn't get the  curtain rod to stay in place.  Suggestions?
 And while I'm posting, we just returned from an almost four  month trip (CA to ME and back), and had a few mechanical problems along the  way.  The Life with a Lazy Daze archives and the  LD Companion were both extremely helpful in our travails.   Many thanks to the folks who created both of them.
(How many calls do you  think Coach Net lets you have before they cancel your coverage?)
 It feels really strange after that long a trip to roam around  in our stationary home--everything is too far away!

Pat B., 30' LD IB, Piscataqua River

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Curtain rod in shower of 30'
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 126615
Another idea I tried to adopt is the tension curtain rod in  the shower, which I wanted to use to hang towels to dry.  Our LD is the 30  foot island bed, so one of its shower walls is at right angles to the outside  wall and the other is slanted, so where the shower wall meets the outside wall  is an acute angle.  Kate, how do you make the curtain rod stay up?  I  tried a silicone wedge, and some earthquake putty,  but couldn't get the  curtain rod to stay in place.  Suggestions?

Pat B., 30' LD IB, Piscataqua River

Pat, in our 30' we use a small accordion clothes drying rack that folds up when not in use and stays in the shower.  It's lightweight and holds much more than one tension curtain rod.  Something similar to this:    With the shower window open, things dry quickly.  I also installed a short closet rod from one side of the skylight frame to the other on which we hang coats when we travel or wet items on hangers when necessary.

Chris

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 126627
Chris,
 I appreciate the suggestion, but our shower serves as broom closet, laundry hamper, repository for the baseball bat, and the big dowel which holds the quilt  that insulates the cab from the house, and four gazillion Walmart baggies which  we reuse as trash bags, and a myriad of other things.  We boondock only  when desperate and use our shower as such only when the park's is seriously  bad.  There's so much stuff in there, a clothes dryer would probably sink  us amidship.

But thank you.

Pat B.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 126637
Chris,
 "...and the big dowel which holds the quilt  that insulates the cab from the house..." Pat B.

Pat, I can imagine, but can you tell me where you place the dowel, how you make it stay up, etc.

Chris

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 126639
The frame for the shower skylight is wood.   I asked  Todd to cut me a piece of the same rod they use in production, with brackets,  and screwed it into the wood skylight frame.  Everything looks original and  it is a great rod for hanging stuff on.    You could probably get  the same type of rod at Home Depot,  or a similar store.  Gale   2002 IB

G N Wilson
2008 Mid-Bath

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 126680
Hi, Chris,
 This is a whole lot more complicated sounding than it really is, but freshly back from a four month RV trip, my brains are kind of addled.  You  know that the front of the 30' has an entertainment center rather than a bed over the cab, and there's about a one inch carpeted ledge that runs around three  sides, about an inch below the tv and the four doors in the entertainment ctr.  (Ed Newton was fond of using this ledge to demonstrate how easy it is  to get up out of the passenger seat and back into the house.  Yes, I said,  if you have extraordinarily strong  fingers, are probably male, and are underweight by 25 pounds.)
 Anyway, the previous owner of our coach had a one inch wooden dowel cut about 1/4" less than the length between the two short ends of this ledge.
It's about 53.5 " long.  You put it in cockeyed and pull it down to  level.
There's a vertical rim between the entertainment ctr and the  house.  The pole sits nicely on the ledge between the cabinet doors and the  rim. Then we drape a quilt over the pole obtaining both privacy and  insulation from the cold (or hot) cab.  I don't have a clue how to  post a picture here, but I just went out and took one and will try to send it to  your email address.

Pat B.