Skip to main content
Topic: Let me rephrase my Question, what do you think of the Droid at Walma (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Let me rephrase my Question, what do you think of the Droid at Walma
Yahoo Message Number: 126407
I did not want to get too technical.  Wouldn't understand it anyway.
And did not want to get in an argument between the Iphone and the Droid.
And I guess they are kinda the same thing??

I see Straight Talk thru Walmart has  a Droid.
Cost of the phone is $150.
Unlimited usage is $45/ month.

Was thinking about giving it a try and upgrade from my Tracfone.
Any comments?

Thanks again... Steve

Re: Let me rephrase my Question, what do you think of the Droid at W
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 126408

Any comments?
It depends on what you want to use your phone for.  If all you want is to make voice phone calls, I don't see any reason to upgrade.  But smartphones like iPhones and Droids open up a VERY large new world of capability, but with a very large accompanying learning curve.  The new smartphones are basically very small computers with cell phone circuitry inside.  Thus they can do some of the things typical computers can do besides making voice phone calls.  If you are not all that comfortable learning new capabilities on a regular computer, you might want to rethink getting into a smartphone.
 BTW/ iPhones are proprietary and only made by Apple. Droid is marketing shorthand for "Android" which is the software developed by Google and made available to other manufacturers to use for phones, tablets, etc.  Several companies make "Droid" phones, and it seems like new ones are released almost daily.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 126409

Any comments?
 It depends on what you want to use your phone for.  If all you want is to make voice phone calls, I don't see any reason to upgrade.  But smartphones like iPhones and Droids open up a VERY large new world of capability, but with a very large accompanying learning curve.  The new smartphones are basically very small computers with cell phone circuitry inside.  Thus they can do some of the things typical computers can do besides making voice phone calls.  If you are not all that comfortable learning new capabilities on a regular computer, you might want to rethink getting into a smartphone.
 BTW/ iPhones are proprietary and only made by Apple. Droid is marketing shorthand for "Android" which is the software developed by Google and made available to other manufacturers to use for phones, tablets, etc.  Several companies make "Droid" phones, and it seems like new ones are released almost daily.

Art
Thanks Art... I just thought it would fun to try.
I see all these people with there heads turned down, staring at their phones.  Nobody talks to anybody these days... just stare at their phones. HAHA.
And Guess I want to "keep up with the Jones's" and see what its all about.
And thought $45/ month seemed reasonable for unlimited usage.
Am I crazy or not?

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 126410
I see all these people with there heads turned down, staring at their phones.  Nobody talks to anybody these days... just stare at their phones. HAHA.
Am I crazy or not?
If you haven't seen it, here is a short marketing video on what I think is the phone you are looking at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTNV3Vny6Bo

If you get one, I'd recommend finding a friend with a Droid phone and getting a thorough walk through.  Then play with the phone to get familiar with it's operation before you really need to use it.  They tend not to come with separate instruction manuals, and finding the help information on the phone itself may not be obvious to a novice.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 126411

Am I crazy or not?

If you haven't seen it, here is a short marketing video on what I think is the phone you are looking at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTNV3Vny6Bo

If you get one, I'd recommend finding a friend with a Droid phone and getting a thorough walk through.  Then play with the phone to get familiar with it's operation before you really need to use it.  They tend not to come with separate instruction manuals, and finding the help information on the phone itself may not be obvious to a novice.

Art
Yup, thats the one.
Seems like a good deal to me.
And the video looks real good to.
Do you think it would a navigational application too, instead of having to buy a separate unit? Thanks again Art.
Steve

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 126412
My Droid has a fantastic turn-by-turn satellite-driven  Nav app.  You can even enter a destination by voice.  Of course, Droid has had voice input for email, etc, for some time. I believe you will find this app already on your Droid.

best, paul
 *"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." Steve Jobs*
 Do you think it would a navigational application too, instead of having to

buy a separate unit?
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 126413
At 10:15 AM 11/5/2011, you wrote:

Do you think it would a navigational application too, instead of having to buy a separate unit?
I have a Motorola Droid and downloaded a GPS type app which has been a godsend. And it was FREE!

I personally love my Droid phone and bless the day I made the leap from a regular phone to a smart phone. There is a bit of a learning curve, but it is not insurmountable. If you can learn to use standard computer programs, you'll pick up Droid apps very quickly. And there are literally thousands of free apps, and most are $10 or less if you do have to pay for them. I also use my phone as an e-book reader and it works great. I visit my local library and download books whenever I feel the urge...again, free.

$45 a month for unlimited voice seems reasonable, but if you do go the Droid route, you will inevitably be downloading apps, photos, etc., and occasionally at least visiting the 'Net. Find out what data charges are. Whether you think you need a plan for data now or not, if you love this phone, you will need data. :-)

Sonsie

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 126467
I have an iPhone 4 and 2 (3) Android phones (Motorola Droid & MyTouch 4G & [3G]).  I much prefer the Android phones!
 I only got the Verizon iPhone based on Andy's info about using it as a mobile hotspot with unlimited data for the laptop.  And I'm keeping it for that reason.
 The iPhone GPS does not talk to you out loud like the Androids do.  A talking GPS is essential as fas as I'm concerned.  You shouldn't have to be looking at your iPhone and reading directions when you're driving - that's just crazy.  Not everyone has a co-pilot.  My dog doesn't know how to read yet.
 I still prefer having a separate GPS (Garmin).  Otherwise you'll use up your cell phone's battery by using it for a GPS for any length of time.  The phone's okay for short trips.  Sometimes I've even used a combination of the Garmin's & Droid's GPS, if one or the other gets too confused (it happens).
 Also, I love the "speech to text" feature on my Droid.  Works really well if you speak clearly and slowly.  But gotta proofread it before sending.  Wear your reading glasses!

Love all that techie stuff, Lisa '88 Toyota Dolphin, 4cyl Lazy Daze wanna-get

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 126469
We just keep our Droid X plugged in to 12v while it's GPSing

Plus, a Droid with PDAnet is a great hotspot for our Laptop ("unlimited"). No rooting needed with Droid.

best, paul
 *"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." Steve Jobs*
 I still prefer having a separate GPS (Garmin). Otherwise you'll use up your

cell phone's battery by using it for a GPS for any length of time.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 126473
"The iPhone GPS does not talk to you out loud like the Androids do. A talking GPS is essential as fas as I'm concerned."
 I agree. In that respect, Android gives you a more usable GPS app built into the phone. On the other hand, both the Apple and Android GPS apps get their data from the internet "on the fly", so if you lose your cell signal, you can have problems.
 Now, the apps do cache data for your current route, so brief interruptions don't mean the screen goes blank. ;-) But if you change your plans or a detour forces you off-route, there has to be a cell tower nearby or you won't be able to get new map data. In my humble opinion, that's a critical flaw in both Apple's and Android's built-in mapping apps.

That's why I use the "Garmin USA" iPhone/iPad app:
 http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/garmin-u.s.a./id435490305?mt=8

It turns an iPhone or iPad into a Nüvi--and as with a Nüvi, the entire US/Canada database (about 1.6 GB of data) is included, so no cell phone connection is ever needed to display maps, no matter where you are. Yes, it costs money, but it's worth it to have all the maps on your phone, not out in the cloud somewhere.
 But if you want a cheap talking GPS app for the iPhone/iPad, Garmin has one of those too:
 http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/garmin-streetpilot-ondemand/id440326367?mt=8

Garmin's "StreetPilot OnDemand" app is only 99 cents, because it downloads its maps on the fly, just like the Droid GPS app. I don't recommend either for serious navigation on the road. "Cloud-based" applications are all the rage right now, but it's well to bear in mind that clouds blow away. You can't count on them to be there when you need them.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 126475
Hmm?  My iPhone's gps system DOES give directions verbally ...

Sent from Helen's iPhone

Re: iPhone as GPS
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 126479
"My iPhone's gps system DOES give directions verbally"
 I should have been more precise. As shipped, the iPhone comes with Maps, an Apple application that gets its data on the fly (from Google Maps). It can create routes for you, but unless I'm overlooking something, it can't give turn-by-turn verbal directions. Even with Apple's VoiceOver speech-assisted interface turned on, it doesn't speak directions.
 Third-party GPS apps such as the Garmin USA app I mentioned, or the popular Navigon app, do give spoken directions... but we were talking about what comes with the phone when you buy it.

Which GPS app were you referring to, Helen?

Andy Baird

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 126481
On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 20:18:20 -0000, Andy Baird wrote: "  I should have been more precise. As shipped, the iPhone comes with Maps, an Apple application that gets its data on the fly (from Google Maps). It can create routes for you, but unless I'm overlooking something, it can't give turn-by-turn verbal directions. Even with Apple's VoiceOver speech-assisted interface turned on, it doesn't speak directions."

By the way-- IF you've got an iPhone and want to use it for navigation purposes, I stumbled across an app for free called Waze which works really well in my limited experience so far-- it will give turn-by-turn directions, provide re-routing around traffic and you the user provide information back to help other "wazers" when roads slow down -- I was driving through Culver City the other day using Waze and it tried to steer me away from a traffic jam near a construction site but I ignored it..
So, it noticed I was going slow through this one section of road and a dialog box popped up asking if I was in traffic..
Pretty slick feature if you ask me.. All for Free!!

Anyway, as with any GPS app they're not always the smartest things out there and will occasionally take you the not so direct path from point A to B but this one is free and has all the bells-n-whistles that the $50 programs cost for the iPhone but without the expense..

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 126482
At 10:21 PM 11/7/2011, you wrote:

I still prefer having a separate GPS (Garmin). Otherwise you'll use up your cell phone's battery by using it for a GPS for any length of time. The phone's okay for short trips. Sometimes I've even used a combination of the Garmin's & Droid's GPS, if one or the other gets too confused (it happens).
When I use my Android in GPS mode, I keep it plugged in to the car's charging outlet. Otherwise, as you say, it eats up battery power like crazy. Still worth far more than what I paid for it (nothing).

Sonsie

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 126483
Hi Andy,
 I have VZ Navigator.  Turn-by-turn directions, traffic, and will re-route around jams if you've told it to do so.
It's included in my plan, so I use it...plus - it gives more advance warning verbally of an upcoming turn, which I like over Garmin (I love my Garmin, don't get me wrong....)

Helen

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 126485
"I have VZ Navigator. It's included in my plan..."
 Verizon may be bundling VZ Navigator with a "value-added" feature package, but you're paying extra every month for it, one way or another. For example, if you bought VZ Navigator by itself, it would cost $4.99 per month. That's fine if you really wanted the other features in that extra-cost bundle, but paying by the month for GPS capability that only works when you're near a cell tower is not an attractive proposition for most of us.

Andy Baird

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 126492
At 03:32 PM 11/8/2011, you wrote:

Verizon may be bundling VZ Navigator with a "value-added" feature package, but you're paying extra every month for it, one way or another. For example, if you bought VZ Navigator by itself, it would cost $4.99 per month. That's fine if you really wanted the other features in that extra-cost bundle, but paying by the month for GPS capability that only works when you're near a cell tower is not an attractive proposition for most of us.
I have both VZ Navigator and a program by Google Maps. When I use the GPS system, it asks me which to use for that destination. I always pick Google; I had no idea that VZN cost me any extra, but I don't like it as well as Google. If I am paying extra for it, it must be hidden deep in some bundled service package that I'm not even aware of. I pay extra for unlimited data, and $5 a month for something like 250 text messages, and that's all the extras I am aware of.

The Google app works like a charm, does talk me through the route, and recalculates on the fly if I take a wrong turn or decide to go another way. If I were seriously using the program for cross-country navigation on an LD trip, I would be a lot more picky. But I use it to find local destinations and have been very pleased with this free app.

Sonsie

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 126495
Same with me. I don't pay any more for the Navigator. I think it kind of works through Google Maps. I do a search through the app called Places or I use GasBuddy or I  Google something and can get the Google Maps and ask for directions and the Navigator comes on.
 I am usually the navigator and what works best for the driver is if I find something on my Droid and then look it up on the Garmin. Sometimes the Garmin doesn't have it so I enter the address into the Garmin from the Droid search. The Garmin is easier for my Driver to hear and understand. So we use a combination of the Droid and Garmin for great success.
 The Droid can tell me where the cheapest gas is and give me directions to it. Having that GasBuddy app saves us a lot of money. The AllStays RV and Camping App and the Passport American App and Googling for RPI helps us find camping places. The AllStays shows me Walmarts, RV parks, State and National Parks, dump spots, RV repair, Propane, and a lot more.
 Having the Droid and Garmin combination has made a much happier Driver and Navigator!

Denise

=======