Skip to main content
Topic: Fluorescent tubes, anyone? (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic
Fluorescent tubes, anyone?
Yahoo Message Number: 126301
I just replaced my fluorescent lights with LED's.  That means I have 8 fluorescent tubes that are up for grabs.
 If you want any tubes, they are available from me in southern NM, either in person or, if you work out packing and shipping, anywhere you want.  I checked with the USPS and they would prefer not to handle the tubes - risk of breakage, and mercury compounds.  It therefore will have to be FedEx or UPS.  The cost of shipping makes it probably not worth while but if you are in the area and want the tubes, you can't beat free.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Fluorescent tubes, anyone?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 126302
If you want any tubes, they are available from me in southern NM, either in person or, if you work out packing and shipping, anywhere you want.  I checked with the USPS and they would prefer not to handle the tubes - risk of breakage, and mercury compounds.  It therefore will have to be FedEx or UPS.  The cost of shipping makes it probably not worth while but if you are in the area and want the tubes, you can't beat free.

Ken F in NM
Ken, what brand fluorescent-replacement LEDs did you use?

I used some Jirahs on one fixture, but they are pricy and three are needed to get more light than the fluorescents. I am looking for alternatives for my other fluorescent lamp fixtures.

Tom

Re: Fluorescent tubes, anyone?
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 126308
I used Jirah units, JC-42-FL-T, http://www.jirahled.com/index.php?md=products.  They have strips with two rows of LED's, and I put two units per fixture, or 4 total rows of LED's.  To me, they seem to provide more light than the fluorescents did.
 I agree that they are expensive, but they are very easy to install and I had seen them on another rig and liked them.

Ken F in NM

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
'08 MB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 126310
I used Jirah units, JC-42-FL-T, http://www.jirahled.com/index.php?md=products.  They have strips with two rows of LED's, and I put two units per fixture, or 4 total rows of LED's.  To me, they seem to provide more light than the fluorescents did.
Ken, how do you find the color temperature?  These appear to be be fairly cool (6400K).  I'd be more interested if they made a 4500K version.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 126311
Thanks Steve, but that link didn't show any fluorescent bulb replacement LED strips. That is what we are talking about.
Tom

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 126326
"I am looking for alternatives for my other fluorescent lamp fixtures."

For 4 months I've been using one Starlights Revolution T8-18 LED as a replacement for both fluorescent tubes in a fixture.  The amount of light strikes me as just right, and I really like the quality of the light.  The data sheet lists the color temperature as 4500K; I measure 4000K.

However, the T8-18 does produce some electromagnetic interference (EMI), also called radio frequency interference (RFI), in my VHF weather radio.  If I'm listening to a weather broadcast and then turn on the lamp, I can hear the background hiss increase.  I can still hear the broadcast, so it's not a big problem.  I can't see any TV interference on broadcast or cable.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 126333
I think it is pertinent for anyone considering upgrading from linear fluorescent bulbs to LED strips to note the vast difference in radiation patterns between them - which might create more lighting issues than they solve. Fluorescent tubes radiate in 360 degrees in the orthogonal plane, and have a wide dispersion pattern in the linear plane. LEDs have a dispersion pattern of 60 to 150 degrees, depending on lensing, and most LED strips appear to be lens-less. Compared to the fluorescents they replace, this means LED strips will look very bright directly underneath, but with very little peripheral illumination.
 LD installs its fluorescent fixtures mostly intending to provide area illumination, rather than spot work or reading illumination. For instance, the fluorescent under the kitchen cabinet allows not only work in the kitchen, but enough light to illuminate the drawers across the aisle. The warm-white LED strip light I put in parallel to it provides a comfortable counter worklight, but nothing to see what is in those drawers at night.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 126336
"...Fluorescent tubes radiate in 360 degrees in the orthogonal plane, and have a wide dispersion pattern in the linear plane..."

Steve

Well, Steve, I always learn something from your posts and today it was "orthogonal plane".  It took a trip to Google, but now I know.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 126341
"Thanks Steve, but that link didn't show any fluorescent bulb replacement LED strips. That is what we are talking about."

Beg to differ with you Tom, try the second page. It's called the

Revolution T8-18

Steve

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 126342
Yep. I found it yesterday shortly after I sent the email off.
Thanks for the alternative. Still expensive though.
Tom

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 126348
While working inside a cabinet with the (on) fluorescent fixture below, I found that there was a lot of heat radiating from the fixture coming into the cabinet interior where there was food stored. I then realized that while dry camping, this heat has to be supplied by the coach batteries. We dry camp a lot in our 27' RB. LED replacement was a solution to the high battery drain. Over a year ago  I installed the Jirah LED light strips (at the time they were single row 18" LED strips). For the four fixtures under the cabinets I installed one strip facing straight down where the fluorescent tubes used to be. I then installed a third strip on the 45 degree edge (closest to the outer wall) near where the plastic cover snaps in place. These LED's are aimed toward the coach interior at the 45 degree angle. There is more than enough light all across the interior to function adequately in drawers and lower cabinets. This angled installation was not necessary on the ceiling fixture. Now that Jirah has doubled the LEDs on the strips for the same price ($60) the light level should be better. One of the double LED row strips could still be installed at the 45 degree edge giving even more across the interior lighting than I now have. After traveling more than 25,000-miles since the total LED interior light replacement in May, '10, (see "Coachman's Enhancements ----- photo album) and doing a LOT of dry camping, I have had great service from the LED lights. Battery drainage has been minimal with the LEDs. The $$$$ spent was quite worthwhile for us.
Mike
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Re: Fluorescent tubes, anyone? another way
Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 126349
On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 22:50:06 -0400, mikecoachman31 wrote:

After traveling more than 25,000-miles since the total LED interior light replacement in May, '10, and doing a LOT of dry camping, I have had great service from the LED lights. Battery drainage has been minimal with the LEDs. The $$$$ spent was quite worthwhile for us.
Good report Mike. Just one thing. Since you guys travel the back roads away from city light pollution, you should spend more time at night outside star gazing. This will reduce battery drain even more. You will not need TV either. Just a thought.

No ipod, ipad, iphone, kindle, electric step, mattress topper, sat dish or BBQ.
Just barely getting by.

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 126352
No ipod, ipad, iphone, kindle, electric step, mattress topper, sat dish or BBQ.
Just barely getting by.

Cheers, Don
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 126353
Don, Star gazing is one of many reasons we will mostly be found in the outback. No noise, no light, no cell service, no TV signal (no satellite signal under the National Forest trees), no internet, oh my, what more can one ask for? Just the way it is down here in the bottom of the Rio Grande River Gorge (near Pilar, NM) as the fall colors start hitting the ground. You an almost read a book by the light from the Milky Way stars.
Best to you, Mike
Good report Mike. Just one thing. Since you guys travel the back roads away from city light pollution, you should spend more time at night outside star gazing. This will reduce battery drain even more. You will not need TV either. Just a thought.
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 126357
I measured a fluorescent fixture with 2 tubes.  50 centimeters away, looking straight at the diffuser, I measured 700 lux.  At the same distance, looking at the long side of the fixture (90 degrees off axis), I got 110 lux.

With a similar fixture, with both fluorescent tubes replaced by one Starlights Revolution T8-18, I got 560 and 62 lux, respectively.

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 126370
Hi there, latljus,
 Just a friendly suggestion: this is a friendly group that likes to use names on our posts.  You've made some great posts - t'would be nice to have your name (first name at least) to go with them.

Ted H.

: Fluorescent tubes, anyone?
Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 126312
Yes, I agree that two Jirah JC-42-FL-T  strips provide approximately the same quantity of light as two fluorescent bulbs, but at my age I need a little more than that for reading so I need three Jirah LED strips per fixture. I am satisfied with the Jirahs, but not with the $90 per fixture.
Tom

Re: : Fluorescent tubes, anyone?
Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 126313
"Tom Johnston"  wrote: "...at my age I need a little more than that for reading.." --- I'm with you; I'm thinking of using my LED headlamp as a reading light! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 126334
Tom,

I'm with you regarding trying to read with these  old eyes!   I wanted a light that I can get fairly close to what I'm reading as well as aim it anywhere I like.  I ended up making my own, adapting a brass wall reading lamp by adding a length of brass goose-neck tubing to it.
Here is a link http://wxtoad.com/index.asp?page=LD/goose.htm>   to the project.

Ted H.
@ Bluewater SP, NM

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 126347
Nice work, Ted! The brass really looks good.

Another possibility: IKEA's Jansjö LED lamp:
 http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658/

It uses a single LED with a color temperature indistinguishable from a halogen lamp. Excellent reading or keyboarding light. Power consumption is less than a tenth of an amp. Only one drawback: it requires 120 VAC, and I haven't found a way to adapt it to 12 VDC. But if you you can live with that, it's a great bargain for less than ten bucks. I bought three. :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 126351
   I'm with you regarding trying to read with these  old eyes!   I wanted a light that I can get fairly close to what I'm reading as well as aim it anywhere I like.  I ended up making my own, adapting a brass wall reading lamp by adding a length of brass goose-neck tubing to it.
Here is a link http://wxtoad.com/index.asp?page=LD/goose.htm>   to the project.
To replace the function of a 1383 bulb, rather than the Jirah, here is an alternative:
 http://led4rv.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=250

This bulb uses about half the current and is a single chip emitter with a lens, and probably more light output. Despite listed as 'warm-white', I do find the color to be whiter, but very pleasant and bright for reading. Older LD that have the incandescent fixture with bullet lamps instead of the fluorescents under cabinet will find these fit the bullets perfectly. For the center fixture, consider a pair of these:
 http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=449

They produce a bright, warm light that will fill the space as well as the original bulbs with a fraction of the current draw.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 126354
Andy,
 That's a neat little light you referenced at Ikea - too bad the specs don't mention the bulb size/type.  If you can find a bulb number, I would think you should be able to find a replacement 12V bulb for it.

Ted H.
@ Bluewater SP, NM The Ultimate US Public Campgrounds Project
http://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com>

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 126355
I'd bet that one of these LED light bulb replacements could be put in the square incandescent fixtures in our '85 -- like the one in the shower, bathroom and a few other places in the rig.. Anyone using LED replacements in these non-flourescent fixtures and find the color incandescent-esque?