Skip to main content
Topic: House electrical issue (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
House electrical issue
Yahoo Message Number: 126280
Went to run my generator yesterday after about 3+ weeks of the RV sitting. Hit the starter switch, and all that happened is the HPV-22B sat there and clicked (2 solar panels on roof). Genset never even turned slightly. Battery showed 12.7 volts, but obviously the amps weren't there to turn over the genset. Plugged the RV into shore power overnight, just to try an alternate charging mechanism. Battery shows 13.8 volts on the HPV this morning, but when attempting to start the genset, it tries to turn over but doesn't (only about a half second worth of movement)' and now the HPV beeps once when doing that.
 It appears that I've lost a battery (or 2), but I'm no expert. Thoughts?

Thanks so much!

--Dan & Ann 27 RB Monterey, CA
2002 Rear Bath

House electrical issue
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 126281
Hi Dan & Ann Do you have a multimeter? If not, you should get one. They are cheap and very handy at times. You need to measure the voltage across the battery bank, then across the individual 6 volt batteries.
Do this with the HVP-22B off, and shore power disconnected. It does sound like it could be a bad battery or two. If one of the two batteries is around 2 volts less than the other, then that battery has a dead cell.
Or drive to some place where batteries are sold and ask them to test the batteries. Wallmart does this. There is usually no charge for this service. Wallmart is a good place to get an inexpensive multimeter too :>) Tom

Went to run my generator yesterday after about 3+ weeks of the RV sitting.
Hit the starter switch, and all that happened is the HPV-22B sat there and clicked (2 solar panels on roof). Genset never even turned slightly. Battery showed 12.7 volts, but obviously the amps weren't there to turn over the genset. Plugged the RV into shore power overnight, just to try an alternate charging mechanism. Battery shows 13.8 volts on the HPV this morning, but when attempting to start the genset, it tries to turn over but doesn't (only about a half second worth of movement)' and now the HPV beeps once when doing that.
 It appears that I've lost a battery (or 2), but I'm no expert. Thoughts?

Re: House electrical issue
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 126282
Battery shows 13.8 volts on the HPV this morning, but when attempting to start the genset, it tries to turn over but doesn't (only about a half second worth of movement)' and now the HPV beeps once when doing that.�
Sounds like a bad connection, and since the solar controller beeps, I would check the connections right at the batteries. A connection most likely is loose or corroded and requires cleaning.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 126284
Hi Dan & Ann Do you have a multimeter? If not, you should get one. They are cheap and very handy at times. You need to measure the voltage across the battery bank, then across the individual 6 volt batteries.
Do this with the HVP-22B off, and shore power disconnected. It does sound like it could be a bad battery or two. If one of the two batteries is around 2 volts less than the other, then that battery has a dead cell.
Thanks, Tom. Took my meter and measured 13.3 across the bank, then 6.4 on left battery and 6.8 on the right.  Read 13.3 on the HPV when I turned it back on. Going to assure snug connections at the batteries per Steve's advice. Any other thoughts are appreciated, thank you!
2002 Rear Bath

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 126285
Sounds like a bad connection, and since the solar controller beeps, I would check the connections right at the batteries. A connection most likely is loose or corroded and requires cleaning.

Steve
Loosened and re-seated the battery connections, and bingo! She fired right up. Will do a thorough cleaning now. Thanks Steve & Tom for your help! --Dan
2002 Rear Bath