Skip to main content
Topic: Winter storage AGM battery question (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
Winter storage AGM battery question
Yahoo Message Number: 126215
I live in northern NM mountains, where winter temp in the teens are common, and on occasions, sub zero. In the past, I kept my '01 TK at home, winterized, and AGM batteries disconnected.
At 2 or 3 week intervals, hook to shore power for a day or two. (Has new 45amp 4 stage convertor) This  winter I plan to store the LD inside a friends warehouse in town, as a couple of trips are planned for a week  or so during the winter.  Snow and ice can be a problem getting the LD out , and there are 3 miles of dirt road, so in town is  a great option for protection and travel flexibility.

I am not able to leave the LD hooked to shore power  permanently, but can go in and hook up for about 6 hrs periodically. Would 6 hrs hooked up every week or  ten days maintain a  safe level of  charge on the AGM's?  Batteries would be disconnected  so as to minimize draw .  LD will be winterized as  the warehouse is not heated.
Thanks for any recommendations.  Wayne

Re: Winter storage AGM battery question
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 126216
Hi Wayne,
 Your batteries can go months in cold weather without requiring charging, losing only 1% of their charge per month in at 35 deg F and lower, so you don't need to charge it so long or so often.

Eric Greenwell
2005 Jayco 24SS

Re: Winter storage AGM battery question
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 126221

From: Eric Greenwell To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 6:20 PM Subject: Re: [LD] Winter storage  AGM battery question

Hi Wayne,
 Your batteries can go months in cold weather without requiring charging, losing only 1% of their charge per month in at 35 deg F and lower, so you don't need to charge it so long or so often.

Eric Greenwell
 Thanks Eric: Since  getting shore power to the LD in the warehouse in which it will  be stored for the winter is  somewhat of a hassle, and I would have to occupy myself in town to disconnect I will just not bother.  As I mentioned, a couple of trips are  planned during the winter  (AZ or S.TX to warm up) so  the LD will not be in storage for the entire winter. Wayne Brock

NM Mountains
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 126243
Hi Wayne,
 Whereabouts do you live?  We have a lot up in the mountains at Pendaries RV Park near Las Vegas, NM.  We've been here since May, but will be leaving next week to head back to Texas for the winter.  We just had our first snow yesterday -- about 4", but today is gorgeous -- sunny and beautiful.  We just love NM.  My latest blog post shows yesterday's snow.

Chris 2004 30'TB http://chrisandfrank.blogspot.com/

Winter storage, AGM battery question
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 126228
Wayne,
 If your AGM batteries are fully charged when you put your rig into storage, they will NOT freeze. Period.  There is nothing to drain the batteries if you disconnect them. AGM and the Mothership says, that our rig, stored here in Alaska for 6-7 months, will not freeze if disconnected and is fully charged. There is nothing to drain the batteries if they are disconnected.
No re-charging like the water based batteries of old.  You will do fine.

Melinda 27'MB

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
2011 Mid Bath