Skip to main content
Topic: Good Sam Rally in 2012 (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Good Sam Rally in 2012
Yahoo Message Number: 126047
We joined Good Sam and were thinking about going to one of their rallies in 2012.
 Looking for advice as to whether it is worth going, what types of things did you find worthwhile and which to avoid, how long should we stay to get the benefit, how was the camping etc etc.

Thanks, Michele Murphy 30' 2005 IB - Bruin Blue & Gold

Re: Good Sam Rally in 2012
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 126133
Forgot to answer the camping question...
 There is virtually a sea of RV's there as far as the eye can see at the Rally. Very interesting to say the least. But thye make sections of parking lots basically and most of these were graveled. You can choose to have electric or dry camp. They provided port-a-potties

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 126137
"Can I ask you how you like your 30' LD? We toured a couple this year and I loved the open feeling of them. For some reason I am having difficulty getting used to the closed in feeling of the dining area of our 26.5 MB it always feels dark to me."

Good Travels to you.

Sherry 2002 26.5 MB C TRL
Sherry
 I own a '04 30'IB. We took delivery in October 2004. Unfortunately my wife passed the following May. Wondering what should be done with that brand new LD was a prime consideration. Rather than sell it, I decided to use it. As a single person I suppose I could get by with something smaller but I am so used to it by now that downsizing is out of the question. Yes, I do a substantial amount of US Forest Service camping and have not had any trouble finding suitable campsites. The rig now has over 54K miles with virtually no trouble. One option that I chose when placing my order was the expanding dinette. Configured for two it's perfect for me. Should I have company on board it's a simple matter to expand it out to seat 4 or even 5 at the end of the table. No, it's not too much to handle, even my daughter drives it. She'll probably take over the drivers seat when I hang up my hat.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 126148
"I know the CCC issues...and did you find that this has been a problem for you?"

Sherry
Sherry
 Although my last weight check shows the LD to be several hundred pounds under GVWR I know I'm carrying stuff that could just as well be left behind. And as far as space is concerned, I have areas that I've yet to fill. Personally, and I know others will squawk, I believe that the GVWR is very conservative.
 Another item you might want to consider is Island Bed vs Twin Beds. I know several folks who own both types and each owner has their own valid reasons for their choices. Personally, after having owned SOB with twins I couldn't wait to have an Island Bed. My Boston Terrier now fills the position of 'bed warmer'. ;-)

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Re: Pull-out dinette in 30'
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 126159
Steve:
 I too love the dinette option in the 30' and that would be the way I would go if we decided to take the plunge. Selling and buying again just gets my head spinning not to mention the pocket book. But I truely fell in love with the sense of openness(is that a word?)those rigs had.  I know the CCC issues...and did you find that this has been a problem for you?
 I know reading other posts that one has to think long and hard and not make a snap decision so I will be trying to think of ways to make the front area of our MB less confining feeling.

Thanks so much for the input.

Sherry
Sherry, we have the same floorplan Steve has in our 30''02 IB.  The 2-person dinette works great and can be expanded when needed.  We travel part time and have only expanded the dinette a handful of times when entertaining for meals.  Although the '02 dinette could not be made into a bed (I believe it can in later models), I managed to adapt ours so it will and have used that area as a bed 3-4 times over 9+ years.  Notwithstanding the forgoing, I (we) miss having chairs to sit in to read or watch TV.  I find the couch uncomfortable (for me) for long periods of reading or TV-watching. If using the couch for TV-watching, I usually lie down with several pillows raising my head.  Also, with the chairs, I believe there is a little more moving around space in the lounge area when the dinette is stowed.  So, were I to buy another 30', I would probably get the chairs instead of the pull-out dinette - and would probably get a couple of smaller wall-hugger recliners to replace the factory chairs.  I have a couple of photos of the dinette expanded and closed.  Email me off line and I will send them if you wish.

Chris Horst Arvada, CO
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 126169
Quote from: chorst_2000"

So, were I to buy another 30', I would probably get the chairs instead of the pull-out dinette - and would probably get a couple of smaller wall-hugger recliners to replace the factory chairs.  I have a couple of photos of the dinette expanded and closed.  Email me off line and I will send them if you wish.

Chris Horst Arvada, CO

Chris,
 We would like to add chairs like this but have yet to find anything that would fit. Have you discovered something that would work?

Jim C.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 126170

So, were I to buy another 30', I would probably get the chairs instead of the pull-out dinette - and would probably get a couple of smaller wall-hugger recliners to replace the factory chairs.  I have a couple of photos of the dinette expanded and closed.  Email me off line and I will send them if you wish.

Chris Horst Arvada, CO

Chris,
 We would like to add chairs like this but have yet to find anything that would fit. Have you discovered something that would work?

Jim C.

Jim, I have not searched because we have no place for them in our floorplan.  Googling RV recliners and/or wall-hugger recliners is a starting point.  The Euro-recliners would be a good choice IMO.    Were I to buy recliners, I would have to sit in them first.  And in a 30', they would have to be compatible with the retractable dinette I would assume.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 126274
Chris:
 That info was truely helpful. I did get some good ideas as to how to brighten up the front area. We travel with 4 grandkids at times so it is something we have to think about.

Happy traveling.

Sherry 2002 26.5 MB RC TRTL