Skip to main content
Topic: California RV Show (Read 25 times) previous topic - next topic
California RV Show
Yahoo Message Number: 126039
Attachments :

We went to the CA RV show in Pomona today. There were quite of few RV's we liked.  For anyone going, LD is not in space 3403 lke the Show map indicates.  They are over north of 3002 (across from the Roadtreks).  Steve and Todd where there and they brought 3 rigs.  24,27, and 31.  It sure is nice walking fresh new ones after working for months on our old 85 Bunk rebuild.  Attached is a pic of their setup.

Ramon

Re: California RV Show
    Reply #1
    Yahoo Message Number: 126276
    We sat for an hour
    'O6 IB Anniversary Model
    Sue, My Copilot
    Carlie, our canine princess

Re: California RV Show/ LD changes for 2012
    Reply #3
    Yahoo Message Number: 126306
    Hello Ramon,

Did LD say what changes are coming for 2012?

Michael
    I talked with Steve & Todd while at the show...Steve told me there was not going to be much in the way of changes for the upcoming model year as he is happy with the changes they have made over the last few years.

Robert Britton

Hollister, California

Reply #4
    Yahoo Message Number: 126307
    wrote: Steve told me there was not going to be much in the way of changes for the upcoming model year as he is happy with the changes they have made over the last few years.
    --- Just a comment on "changes"...I was coming down 5 in northern CA a few weeks ago; an RV (towing) going the other way flashed its lights two or three times before I went by. I wondered why the person was flashing his/her lights; there wasn't any "road hazard" that I could see.  After the rig was well past, it dawned on me that the "flashing" RV was a new graphics, no painted overcab windows Lazy Daze; I just didn't recognize it as an LD. ;-)

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
    2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
    Yahoo Message Number: 126309
    "Hello Ramon,

Did LD say what changes are coming for 2012?

Michael"

Hi Michael, We did not discuss changes though we did discuss chassis.  When I asked Todd about the new T-series chassis, he did not think Ford was changing anytime soon for the US market.  He says they stay in touch with them.

Hope he is right for his sake.

Ramon

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #6
    Yahoo Message Number: 126325
    Call me old fashioned (my kids do), but back in the late 60's I bought a VW bug. One of the nice things, and played up by VW, was that the design didn't change every year - - a major change from the fins on, big chrome grills, fins off, change the grill again styling approach Detroit had at the time. LD had the same thing going for it, an advantage to my way of thinking. As long as you kept it clean and shiny, it looked brand new going down the road. And just like the 'cliquish' family of VW bug owners, LD owners had that too. I don't like the new swoopy, everyone else is doing it too, paint job approach. Bah Humbug (or whatever an old codger would say).

bumper

bumper
    "Yonder" '05 MB
    "WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #7
    Yahoo Message Number: 126328
    I prefer the original paint design too.  I don't want to have the same swoopy style as all the 'other brands'. I like that the LD is unique and I like that I can recognize one from a distance and give a wave if we cross paths.

Denise

Reply #8
    Yahoo Message Number: 126329
    I understand the old style, my wife and I also prefer for the same reasons, is an available option from the factory.

Reply #9
    Yahoo Message Number: 126332
    While I like to new design I do agree that keeping with the LD traditional design keeps us unique to RVing.
    I love that even when I am not driving Circus Wagon I recognize an LD no matter what the year.
    So everyone who may be traveling Hwy 99 someplace between Palm Desert & Sacramento, then on to Chico...............look for me !  I am leaving here on the 21st of November.
    Happy Turkey Bird Days to everyone! Betty Jean, Circus Wagon & "the girls" Patches & Mischef

Reply #10
    Yahoo Message Number: 126335
    wrote: "I don't like the new swoopy, everyone else is doing it too, paint job approach." --- I don't, either, but I suspect that those of us who prefer the "traditional" paint job are far fewer than those who don't; I remember that there were a lot of "love it" thread comments when LD presented the Fleetwood knock-off "swoops and swirls" graphics.

Truly a YMMV choice! ;-)

Joan
    2003 TK has a new home

Reply #11
    Yahoo Message Number: 126338
    I'm old fashioned too and couldn't agree more.  My want my LD to look like an LD and I want to be able to recognized one when I see coming toward me.  It makes me smile when I see one!

Dorothy Koko, Montgomery, AL
    2007 MB

Reply #13
    Yahoo Message Number: 126361
    • Todd (LD parts man extraordinare) shared that for past several months, 90%+ of all orders have been for NEW design; i.e. hardly any new buyers seem to appreciate the historic paint styling. Several of us talking w/him showed surprise!

Jack Brea, Ca / Chattanooga, TN
    Jack - Teal 2003 IB31
    Southeastern LD  #19 •• Southwestern LD  #14  ••
    LD Caravan  #2999

Reply #14
    Yahoo Message Number: 126363
    I'm not an LD owner, so I can offer some "outside" perspective: it's true the original trim design keeps older models looking newer, but it also makes the brand new models look several years old as soon as they leave the factory. Not everyone appreciates that instant aging, even though it's only
    2005 Jayco 24SS

Re: Shower window
    Reply #15
    Yahoo Message Number: 126364
    "...offer the shower window as an option instead of a non-deletable standard feature,..."

Eric
    Eric, I'm curious, what don't you like about the shower window?  Personally, I find it quite useful in our 30', mainly for air circulation when the shower is not in use.

Chris
    Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Shower window
    Reply #17
    Yahoo Message Number: 126367
    The only thing we use the shower window for in our TK is for passing in the non-potable-water-hose for black tank flushing, when at a dump station The rest of the time it lives with a foam insulation plug. But for that alone the window is worthwhile.
    Tom

Reply #18
    Yahoo Message Number: 126368
    We were told that is what the factory likes about it, too, but we've never flushed the tanks in our SOB in 14 years. Waiting till it's nearly full, then dumping after driving to a dump site seems to stir it up so it empties completely. We usually drive at least once a day - not much for sitting around the RV park - and we don't have a toad. For us it would be liability, but I know some people like it.
     What I don't understand is why the factory won't leave it off if the customer doesn't want it - seems like it would save them money.

Eric
    2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #19
    Yahoo Message Number: 126369
    of angular, offer the shower window as an option instead of a non-deletable standard feature, use a seamless roof, offer dinette seating for four in the 24' front lounge, get rid of the lumps and bumps in the couch and dinette cushions, a couch that is lower at the back than the front instead level, and really think about using something besides wood for the frame.
    I don't know of anyone who owns one who doesn't like the shower window - it lets in light and allows easy ventilation to de-humidify after a shower. It is also part of the superb ventilation you get from opening the vast total window area - a real plus compared to other brands. Also, unless the design has changed, our '83FL does seat four. There is a pedestal table stored in the hall closet that sets up in front of the couch. Pull up the chairs to seat four, or 'tee' in the fold-up table for even more table space. But, with only 2 aboard, the fold-up table alone is not as intrusive as a four-seater would be.
     Trouble is, to really appreciate the excellent ergonomics of the living space design of a LD, you kind of have to live with one for awhile. With other brands it often seems the more you spend time in them, the more dumb design issues you encounter.

Steve
    2004 FL
    2013 Honda Fit

Reply #20
    Yahoo Message Number: 126374
    Steve

With other brands it often seems the more you spend time in them, the more dumb design issues you encounter.

Steve
    Steve you sure have that right.....
    Garry

_,_._,___

Reply #21
    Yahoo Message Number: 126375
    A little household hint for that window and shower walls.  A friend who has a house keeping service uses car hard wax on the window and / or jet x.
    This helps to keep that window sparkling and shower doors, just apply it then each time the shower is used have a small squeegee or one of those yellow micro fiber towels on the window & walls.  Don't put it on the shower floor.
    Betty Jean, Circus Wagon & "The Girls"

Reply #22
    Yahoo Message Number: 126377
    Eric Greenwell  wrote: I'm not an LD owner, so I can offer some "outside" perspective: it's true the original trim design keeps older models looking newer, but it also makes the brand new models look several years old as soon as they leave the factory. Not everyone appreciates that instant aging, even though it's only in appearance.
    --- Exterior appearances are, of course, a matter of taste. One person might feel that the original paint job is "dated", but I prefer to think of it as "classic". IMO, the "stripes" are unique and timeless; the "new" (not "new" at all; various configurations of of swoops and swirls have been plastered on the sides of RVs for years) graphics are ordinary and commonplace.

As ever, YMMV.  ;-)

Joan (Who likes the shower window, is OK with wood framing, but also wishes that rear of the coach were straight up and down!)
    2003 TK has a new home

Reply #23
    Yahoo Message Number: 126378
    Joan, I agree with all you said here.............except after your signature, LOL The aerodynamics of the not straight back helps the air flow over the unit instead of buffeting as the straight back.
    I am certa

Reply #24
    Yahoo Message Number: 126379
    On 11/3/2011 10:47 PM, aq433 wrote:

Also, unless the design has changed, our '83FL does seat four. There is a pedestal table stored in the hall closet that sets up in front of the couch. Pull up the chairs to seat four, or 'tee' in the fold-up table for even more table space. But, with only 2 aboard, the fold-up table alone is not as intrusive as a four-seater would be.
    My wife does a lot of sewing on our trips, so a four person dinette table makes it easy to use her sewing machines and have all the "stuff" spread about, including the laptop. We've looked at the smaller table options, and they aren't as appealing. Our SOB has a four person dinette, and both dinette seats are empty (no tanks, pipes, etc), so they are major storage areas, and we'd miss that.

Trouble is, to really appreciate the excellent ergonomics of the living space design of a LD, you kind of have to live with one for awhile. With other brands it often seems the more you spend time in them, the more dumb design issues you encounter.
    We agree most manufacturers do only a fair job at best, and these days, the 26' and shorter Class C market is very poorly served, with almost all manufacturers having a permanent bed on the floor, which does not interest us at all. In 1997, when we bought our current unit, there were many more choices, but now, Lazy Daze is really the only one left with good floor plans.
     After 14 years and 170,000 miles, we are well acquainted with the issues on our motorhome, and frankly, we can't think of a better layout, nor have we seen a better layout (we'd have bought in a flash if we had), and we've been looking for fairly seriously for a replacement for at least five years - searching the web, going to RV shows, looking at other people's units. We have considered a larger unit, like the 27' MB, and even looked at Vista 26p Class A (also 27' long), but they are bigger than we need. We haven't ruled them out, but they aren't compelling.
     So, we are currently in the "drive it till drops" mode, still hoping we'll find something that is clearly better, and not just newer.

Eric
    2005 Jayco 24SS