Skip to main content
Topic: End Cap damage (Read 13 times) previous topic - next topic
End Cap damage
Yahoo Message Number: 125976
Dear Rick. Good luck with the termite company damage. To prevail, you would  need solid proof that they were responsible. As far as welding goes, it is  almost impossible to weld anything this thin, especially aluminum. Just the  removal would be difficult.
The natural tendency is to repair the end cap 'as good as  new', but as old as your rig is, a cosmetic repair would be best. See if you can  determine if there is any actual damage to the wood frame underneath. If it is  OK, and the damage is cosmetic, then Bondo would be best. A few stainless screws  sticking out, driven into the wood framework, would provide an anchor for the  Bondo. It would be easy to fill, shape, and paint. It should stick well to the  bare aluminum, and would be passable. The paint could be matched (brush  on), and the decals could be replaced with painted on stripes. The decals on my  12 year old rig are starting to go, and I plan to replace them in a simpler  style with spray paint. I doubt if many people would even notice that the vinyl  decals were gone. Hope this was helpful. RonB and 'Bluebelle' a '99  TKB.
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Re: End Cap damage
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 125977
Rick

I have to agree with Ramon and Ron.
Straighten it the best you can and glue the inside and Bondo the outside.
The cap is mostly cosmetic, not structural.
You may be able to TIG weld but why chance it?
 The newer, plastic end caps may be usable if your repairs do not work out. Another quick call to the Factory should answer that and also how much a new piece will be.
 Guess this a a good lesson to all to photo the exterior before taking it in for work.
I try to do this when renting cars and always let the agent see me doing it.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)