Skip to main content
Topic: Ford Transit Vans to be built in KCMO (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Ford Transit Vans to be built in KCMO
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 125943
Should we forward to Steve?  ;)

Interesting, I have mixed feelings right now.

Ramon

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 125947
"Interesting, I have mixed feelings right now."

Ramon

A couple interesting quotes from the article.
 "We have also learned that Ford filed trademark applications for T-250, T-450, and T-550 this past week, a strong indication that these will be the names used for the Transit."
 Assuming Ford will keep the same general GVW ratings that are associated with the E and F-series 250, 450 and 550, the new Transit will be a heavy duty chassis with plenty of cargo capacity, something that is sorely missing in the Sprinter chassis. A 550 chassis would make 30'+ RVs more practical for full timers.
 "The spokesman added that Ford "fully recognizes that today's E-Series customers in North America have differing needs from Transit buyers in Europe, Asia, and other markets."
 Americans, as a whole, are bigger people than Europeans and our roads are wider so a bigger, wider cab may be offered.  This would accommodate the wide-body coaches that most RV builder produce today.
The wider chassis would also be used for the cutaway's primary customer, the delivery van.
Since the Transit is already a well develop chassis, it is designed for modern turbo-diesels. I would imagine most Transits built today are diesel.
Once they Americanize it with a automatic transmission, it might make a great replacement for the E450.

I'm going to miss the Twin-I-Beams.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 125949
Wiki has some info too, even a European version motorhome 2000-2006.  It interesting that some of the earlier version looked kind of like Sprinters.
 Would definitely need a bigger engine.  You know my feelings on diesel.. I would welcome one.

The future for LD is going to be interesting.

Ramon

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 125953
Thanks..interesting info.
I see they will make a manual trans with diesel eingine.
Does this mean this new Van would replace the current Ford Van?

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 125956
steve goodman  wrote: Does this mean this new Van would replace the current Ford Van? --- Yes; see message #125826.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 125969
I wonder if Ford will go with a SMG type of manual trans as an option.  Up side, better mpg.
Down side (at first) tuning the trans so it is smooth enough to replace an automatic for this type (rv) of use.
Unknown: length of service (auto trans last a log time with little service).
John
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Manual transmission in Ford Vans
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 125979
I wonder if Ford will go with a SMG type of manual trans as an option.
In my business, before I retired I drove many Ford E350 maxi vans with manual tranies. You have to order from the factory, I guess it is an option. There is a wait. The shifter was on the floor rather than the steering column. It takes a while for there to be a smooth shift between 2nd and 3nd, but once you get your groove in, no problem. Also no problem with the transmission itself over the lifetime of the vehicle. In our case about 5 years.
We lived in the mountains and did carry cargo, hence the 1 ton van. I hope the new vans will come with a manual. However LD, if they use them might opt for the automatic.
Beverly '07 TK Brownian Motion