Skip to main content
Topic: Replacement of Screws on edge panels (Read 33 times) previous topic - next topic
Replacement of Screws on edge panels
Yahoo Message Number: 125829
If I'm going to replace the rusty screws on all of the edge panels (not sure what the proper name is for these -- that hold the sides to the top, etc), should I add a small amount of caulking to the threads prior to screw insertion to try to seal out water in addition to a thin layer of caulk on top of each screw (the ones on the roof will be eventually covered also with Eternabond).. Just thought I'd ask to see what others have done..

-- Rick

Re: Replacement of Screws on edge panels
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 125832
"should I add a small amount of caulking to the threads prior to screw insertion to try to seal out water'

Rick
 A dab of polyurethane, in each hole, is a good idea. Sealant on the outside should not be necessary and looks messy.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 125834
I have had quite a bit of experience with rusty screws on both Born Free and Lazy Daze Class C's.
 I strongly suggest that you do a trial removal of a few screws that show some rust about their heads for the purpose of finding out how much of the screw is actually rusty.
 If their is rust 'down there' on the threads of the screws, water is getting into the area inside the metal 'skins'.

It is most probably that this water incursion is not just leaking

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 125885

On Oct 8, 2011, at 12:07 PM, Larry wrote:

A dab of polyurethane, in each hole, is a good idea. Sealant on the outside should not be necessary and looks messy.
Thanks Larry.. Sounds reasonable!

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 125888

On Oct 8, 2011, at 1:17 PM, mylazydaze wrote:

I strongly suggest that you do a trial removal of a few screws that show some rust about their heads for the purpose of finding out how much of the screw is actually rusty.
 If their is rust 'down there' on the threads of the screws, water is getting into the area inside the metal 'skins'.
 It is most probably that this water incursion is not just leaking in around the screw head, but is leaking in along the joint seam itself.
 In other words, just replacing the screws with sealant-dipped stainless screws is NOT going to resolve the problem of structural wood getting wet and eventually rotting!
I've only seen some of the screws after removal from a few areas but only one from the drivers side end cap on the rear and it was completely rusty which is why I'd like to replace all of them as most on the end caps are rusty at least on the surface as the paint has come off over the years.  I'm assuming that it's a really bad idea to remove the actual end caps as I gather they're not easy to reinstall.. While I'd love to see whats hiding, that does not sound like a weekend project by any means and I may find that I can't get it back together if it's holding the top/side together as I believe it is on this vintage of an LD ('85) since my end caps are either solid aluminum or fiberglass for the curved pieces -- NO ABS.

In general when looking at all of the end cap seams that are vertical or otherwise, most exhibit the same issue which is the paint is fairly flaky where the cap meets the side (or roof) and bare metal can be seen which is not particularly appealing visually.

While the re-seaming on the roof with Eternabond ought to solve the roof to cap seams (also with new screws covered in light poly sealant),  I'm concerned about what to do with the adjacent side to end cap seams on the vertical sides as I'm not going to install Eternabond on those seams.

Is it possible for water to wick up on any of these seams to infiltrate anywhere?  I'd think that if it were a non-moving structure the answer would be no, but with the possibility of moving at high speeds, water may run sideways and could be a problem in that sort of place I would think.

Should I consider using a light-tan (or paintable) polyurethane sealant on these seams with some effort towards keeping the sealant as hidden as possible (for visual appeal more than anything)?

Also, I'm assuming on these edges I'd want to scrape away as much old caulking (and flaky paint) as possible and clean well with mineral spirits or similar prior to application of the Poly?  If it was feasible to remove the end caps I'd remove them, strip all paint off and repaint, reassemble.. But I don't think that's in the cards or feasible..

P.S.  I did search the message archives for "end cap seal" and about 99% of the hits I got were for the newer ABS style issues which mine does not have -- all aluminum or fiberglass so it wasn't completely helpful from that angle..
Perhaps people didn't have that much trouble with end caps on the older rigs?

In the end, I'm just trying to prevent further water problems and keep the rig dry inside - I realize I'm probably not going to replace all damaged plywood/structural wood but will do what I can without removing side panels and whatnot.

I can tell you that I can see water issues where the older style electric cord comes in under the dinette -- good thing LD uses the newer marinco connectors there now -- I'll be retrofitting ours shortly with one... that ought to keep the plywood flooring protected better than the old style did.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 125909
To: Rick, Nellie & All,

I believe your 1985 LD has end caps mfg out of aluminum.
 I also believe the full length rust on the screw you have found is caused by water that has gotten into the wood joint structure from somewhere else than around the screw.  That is why I mentioned the interior air pressure test to show just where there is a passage between the inside and the outside of your LD.  Until you find where those are, you cannot seal those passages and you cannot stop water damage to the wood structure of your LD.  (What you could do is to lift up the cab-over mattress and see if there is any sign of water or  water damage along the lower edges of the cab-over.  If there is, you almost assuredly have wood structure damage inside the sidewalls of your cab-over.  Even if you cannot see water or signs that it has been wet, that rusty screw indicates there is probably some wood structure damage inside the cab-over wall. The only way to remedy this is to find out where the water is coming

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 125911
On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 18:13:43 -0000, mylazydaze wrote: "  I believe your 1985 LD has end caps mfg out of aluminum."

Correct -- all straight end-caps are aluminum but all curved pieces appear to be fiberglass -- the very top corner on the passenger side of ours was hit and has a dent in the fiberglass that will need to be repaired.
 "  I also believe the full length rust on the screw you have found is caused by water that has gotten into the wood joint structure from somewhere else than around the screw. That is why I mentioned the interior air pressure test to show just where there is a passage between the inside and the outside of your LD.
[ ... ]"

That was my thought as well although I'm not sure how these rigs were made way back when -- did they install the original screws with caulking on the threads or cover the screw heads with clear caulk? Who knows -- probably a moot point now.  While I'm not convinced ALL of the screws are rusty, some amount of them are.  Also, the cab-over bunk does not show any signs of water damage that is obvious and after removing the passenger side sliding window that seems to be confirmed -- the wood was in very good shape.  However, I took the flange off the bathroom ceiling vent yesterday since the vent doesn't work and the wood up there appears to be at least somewhat damaged due to water (or venting) issues.  We'll be replacing that with a new Fantastic Fan once I can repair the wood damage (if deemed necessary).
I'll look into the pressure test as well.
 "  There are some people on this BB who have removed and reinstalled their aluminum end caps. Would someone who has done so please advise Rick and Nellie?"
 Yes please!! I'd love to hear the pros-n-cons of doing this!  It sounds like the big issue with this is that once a corner is removed, that the structure wants to "relax" and then its much harder to get it back tight again so the holes line up, etc..
 "  If I had a LD with Aluminum End Caps on which there was no sign of wood damage, I would use Ultrabond tape to seal the wood and the [ ... ]"

All of the older 80's rigs used #8 screws that are either 1" long or 1 1/2" long.  I confirmed that with Steve at the factory last week.  He said the underneath cab-over bed surfaces (above the cab but on the bottom of the bed) take the shorter 1" screws -- if you use the long ones you'll have screws popping up through and into the bed area.  The rest of the sides use the 1.5" screws.  He also suggested not using stainless steel since their heads snap off since they're not as strong.  I'm personally using GRK Fasteners Pan head screws since they're covered with a coating called Climatek which consists of 6 layers of coating to protect it from the elements.
They seem like a better screw to use for this sort of thing in lieu of using your average pan head screw from the local home center.
I will keep the up-sizing suggestion in the back of my head should I find a hole that doesn't want to hold.
 "  There is a point where another LD would be a better and much less costly approach." Agreed. I am certainly now much better versed on what to look for in a used LD than I was a month ago.. I know what to look for on the windows, end-caps and roof seals among others aside from chassis issues..

" One other suggestion: Windows on a 1985 LD should have been inspected yearly and at least every five to ten years, removed and re-conditioned as necessary, then re-installed with a new seal.
Whenever there is any separation of window frame joints, that has to be either repaired correctly or a new window and frame installed. To not do so is to invite wood structure water damage. If wood damage has occurred, a new window installation would be a waste of money if the wood damage is not first corrected."

Agreed.. I'll be calling Nagco Glass in Pomona today to find out if they'll sell me any of the glazing/seal material that surrounds the glass on these windows. If I'm going to remove them from the RV, I might as well spend the extra bit of time to do the window properly to ensure no leaks as much as I can.. These old windows are super easy to remove with the old caulking but a pain in the rear once I've re-sealed them with the 3M 5200 caulking which sticks like a banshee and is a pain to remove once it's set.

-- Rick

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 125917
"I would use Ultrabond tape to seal the wood and the sidewall to horizontal surfaces joint"

Don

Do you have a link for Ultrabond tape? Not at all familiar with it and could not find it on Google.
Did you mean Eternabond tape?
 While removing all the rounded caps would be a big job, taping the corners with Eternabond tape would stop all leakage.  It could be difficult to remove the caps without damaging them.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 125920
On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 21:02:09 -0000, Larry wrote: "  While removing all the rounded caps would be a big job, taping the corners with Eternabond tape would stop all leakage. It could be difficult to remove the caps without damaging them."

Larry.. I'm not following what you're talking about in the last sentence.. Why would it be difficult to remove the end caps? Are the screws not the only thing that holds them in place on the mid 80's LD's?  I gather some of the newer models use some sort of 3M tape stuff in addition to screws but I'm not sure about the older models as there's not much written up about them..

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 125922
"I'm not following what you're talking about in the last sentence.. Why would it be difficult to remove the end caps?

Rick

Because they are glued down with sealant, as well as screwed down.
If the sealant is still good, it will fight you when trying to remove the caps. The aluminum can bend.
Just be careful.

Larry
2001 MB

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 125924
"I'd love to hear the pros-n-cons of doing this! It sounds like the big issue with this is that once a corner is removed, that the structure wants to "relax" and then its much harder to get it back tight again so the holes line up, etc"

Rick
 Do the corners one section at a time and never let it sag. The cabover is the difficult part since so much weight is cantilevered.
If necessary, build framing under the sides of the cabover, to support it, while working on it.
I have seen LDs with so much sag, from rot, that the cab door would hit the overhead when opening.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/5137484469/in/set-72157627748377117> With a floor jack and some 2X4s, a sagging cab can be held leveled (or pre-loaded slightly above level) while repairs are being made.
The corner caps, on a fiberglass cabover nose, are structural, take the screws out and the nose will pull apart.
This area--http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/5344858725/in/set-72157625671994909> The rest of the verticle end caps are seams covers and can be removed to seal the seams beneath. The wood under the caps has a Factory under-coating that has usually flaked off on older rigs.
 While you are at it, seal the horizonal seams in the sheet aluminum siding, they can leak too.
When finished, consider pressure testing the coach to make sure all the leaks are sealed.
 If water and rot gets into the front framing, you can end up with this.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157627748377117/>

Larry
2001 MB

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 125927
" While removing all the rounded caps would be a big job, taping the corners with Eternabond tape would stop all leakage. It could be difficult to remove the caps without damaging them."
 I have fought some of these glued pieces.  It is not all that bad in my case. Seems to be more poly where it forms a seem with another piece.  I am just worried that you might really be opening can of worms here.  Even if you install a larger screw, it might still not bight depending on the wood.  This happened to me on the escape hatch.  Some of the screws on the south end of the hatch did not grab good even though larger.  A few days later and just walking around the top, they started to lift up.  I need to still address this before I put the eternabond on.
 Can you just scrape and clean where the edging meets that flat panels and put a thin bead of 3M 5200 there?  I do not want to remove all my caps so this is my plan on the rest of the rig.

Ramon