Skip to main content
Topic: Has anybody thought of starting a "real" LD Web Site? (Read 17 times) previous topic - next topic
Re: pictures in posts
Reply #50
Yahoo Message Number: 125780
So, if that's the case, then would those people be able to figure out how to upload a photo to their computer and then include it in a post?  Seems to me that that would take just as much knowledge of "computerese" as uploading a picture to one of the numerous free picture posting sites and then including the URL here.

Linda Hylton http://earl-linda.blogspot.com
Linda Hylton

Reply #51
Yahoo Message Number: 125781
On Thu, 6 Oct 2011 08:43:15 -0400 (EDT), Betty Jean bettyjean92211@...> wrote:

I think "technically challenged" would be a better description.
Yes, it would be. While my choice of words could always stand improvement, it was not me describing users capabilities. I was just using poor words to express the feelings of someone else. As Andy noted yesterday, some of us just have not mastered uploading and linking. To those, I say it's time to learn. Ask your grand child how.
 It seems we will be able to post pictures in email, even tho I counted a lot more no's than yes's. Not good for those of us who download email. I am guessing that those who can not upload and link can not resize size pictures either.

No Cheers
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #52
Yahoo Message Number: 125782
Attachments :

"can you tell me where the setting is? I've just enabled "Attachments: Store on site (exclude from emails)"

Andy

That is how our Yahoo site is set up but it isn't easy to use.
    I just spent an hour trying to understand what how Yahoo groups now works with photos. With the changes that Yahoo has instituted in the last year or two, imbedding photos requires composing the message in an email program, adding the attachment(s) and the then mailing it to Yahoo forum.
    The attached photo will show as a thumbnail and will also show up in the "Attachment" file.

In other words, it is not really imbedded, since it shows up as a thumbnail that must be clicked to open. Not hugely different than clicking a link and a lot more work to set up.
    The only advantage I see is that an attached photo is stored on Yahoo's servers and not subject to a potentially disappearing personal photo site.

I have attached a photo to see how or if works on this site.

Larry
    Larry
    2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
    Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
    Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #53
    Yahoo Message Number: 125783
    It worked and now we have our first listing in "Attachments".
    Now, I do not know if attachments will show up in emails.
    Now if someone who reads the forum via email will jump in and let us know.

Larry
    2001 MB
    * Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #54
    Yahoo Message Number: 125784
    Oh,  BTW,  I had to send the message and attachment through my Yahoo mail account (under the name ) since it would not accept it from my Earthlink account, due (I'm assuming) to the different email address not matching my Yahoo account.

Larry
    2001 MB
    * Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #55
    Yahoo Message Number: 125785
    On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 20:07:14 -0000, Larry wrote: "  It worked and now we have our first listing in "Attachments".
    Now, I do not know if attachments will show up in emails.
    Now if someone who reads the forum via email will jump in and let us know."

I did not see any attachment in my email (a web-based email reader "roundcube") -- I believe what Yahoo is doing behind the scenes is providing a thumbnail version of the attached image and that is loaded from their servers to "view" so it doesn't appear to show up as an attachment -- hope that makes sense.  If you click on the inlined image then it will open the weblink taking you to view the attachment in full-size on their site.

-- Rick

Reply #56
    Yahoo Message Number: 125786
    It worked, and the image showed up in the website's message as a very small thumbnail (about 14KB) that can be clicked on to open a medium-sized (24KB) version. What did it look like to folks getting emails?
     As for inserting images into emailed posts--just drag and drop into the message. Yahoo resizes large images automatically, though I don't know the exact details.
     I do find it unfortunate that I can't do this via the website, and am required to use my Yahoo email address, which I never use. So having enabled the feature, I now find that for me, it's too cumbersome to use very often. Ironic. ;-)
     But let's let it run for a month or so and see what happens. We can always turn it off again if it turns out to be a nuisance. It looks as if it's not going to be a significant problem for bandwidth-limited users, at any rate.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
    Andy Baird
    2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
    Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #57
    Yahoo Message Number: 125787
    "I did not see any attachment in my email"

Rick
     That would keep the folks who are concerned about slow downloads or using too much bandwidth happy.
    It is more difficult for me to use since it requires using an email program, while I normally access the forum online.

All in all, it's a works OK considering how much we pay.

Larry
    2001 MB

Reply #58
    Yahoo Message Number: 125788
    Larry -- I receive messages as individual emails.  It appears that, rather attach the photo, Yahoo attached a link to the photo.  I've pasted below the last few lines of the email I received.  I did click the link and it sent my browser directly to the photo on the LD yahoo site.
    =========== I have attached a photo to see how or if works on this site.

Larry

Re: pictures in posts [1 Attachment]
    Reply #59
    Yahoo Message Number: 125789
    This is great it shows a very small picture of the LD you placed on the email and you have the option of clicking on it to show a full size picture.

From: Larry FromSoCal To: "lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com" Sent: Thursday, October 6, 2011 1:02 PM Subject: [LD] Re: pictures in posts [1 Attachment]

"can you tell me where the setting is? I've just enabled "Attachments: Store on site (exclude from emails)"

Andy

That is how our Yahoo site is set up but it isn't easy to use.
    I just spent an hour trying to understand what how Yahoo groups now works with photos. With the changes that Yahoo has instituted in the last year or two, imbedding photos requires composing the message in an email program, adding the attachment(s) and the then mailing it to Yahoo forum.
    The attached photo will show as a thumbnail and will also show up in the "Attachment" file.

In other words, it is not really imbedded, since it shows up as a thumbnail that must be clicked to open. Not hugely different than clicking a link and a lot more work to set up.
    The only advantage I see is that an attached photo is stored on Yahoo's servers and not subject to a potentially disappearing personal photo site.

I have attached a photo to see how or if works on this site.

Larry

Reply #63
    Yahoo Message Number: 125793
    On Thu, 6 Oct 2011 13:40:40 -0700 (PDT), George Peters wrote:

What about like this?
    Yup.. Came through OK for me -- much like having an embedded link of a photo in an email.. If you tell your email client to NOT load any external images you get nothing but if you do, then the image loads just fine..

-- Rick

Reply #64
    Yahoo Message Number: 125794
    Right click on any image on the web, copy image, paste in the body of the email.

What about like this?
    I"m replying from the website but don't see the photo in this reply even though it was in the original message which I gather was an email, right?  The photo may show up when I send this reply.

Chris
    Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #65
    Yahoo Message Number: 125795

Right click on any image on the web, copy image, paste in the body of the email.

What about like this?
     I"m replying from the website but don't see the photo in this reply even though it was in the original message which I gather was an email, right?  The photo may show up when I send this reply.

Chris
    Well, the photo did not show up in the reply, at least on the website.

Chris

Reply #66
    Yahoo Message Number: 125796

What about like this?

Chris
    Well, the photo did not show up in the reply, at least on the website.

Chris

Reply #68
    Yahoo Message Number: 125798
    I get the group by email, using what I think they call the "classic" format (i.e., not the "fully featured" format). George's picture came through as a 320 x 213 image, which appears in this reply as I compose it. Nothing happens if I click on his image.

Eric Greenwell
    2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #69
    Yahoo Message Number: 125801
    And when I received my message, George's image is not present. That's not necessarily a problem, as typically, I would delete images in the reply to avoid repeating them on a group. It might be the way I use "text only" for this group, and if I used html formatting, the image would appear.

Eric Greenwell
    2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #70
    Yahoo Message Number: 125802
    What about like this?
    First off, thanks to Andy for at least giving this a shot.  If it does not work or is not well liked, so be it.

That said, The way George pasted is how I have seen it on other yahoo forums.

Ramon

Reply #73
    Yahoo Message Number: 125806
    I read messages from this group via the digest format.

Larry, your thumbnail and link worked perfectly in the digest.

I didn't see any other pictures in the digest, though it sounded like some others tried.

I don't see the problem with giving folks the option.  If like Larry, they wish to embed, it seems to work fine.

If others would rather include a link to their personal photo server, works great too (sans thumbnail).

Options are good, so I say "let a thousand flowers bloom",

S-

Steve and Carol Crisp Thistle Dew Too -- currently letting a thousand flowers bloom around her in NH
    Steven & Carol Crisp -- 2000 26.5' Blue Mid-Bath named Thistle Dew Too
    Our RV Motto:  "No place to be ... and all day to get there"
    2024 Adventure: The Great Eclipse Escapade!  HI(Air),NV,AZ,NM,Mason,TX(Totality!) ...

Reply #74
    Yahoo Message Number: 125808
    I'm reading the digest new format at hotmail and no picture came through.
    There was a box but nothing