Skip to main content
Topic: Ford Escape (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
Ford Escape
Yahoo Message Number: 125663
I am thinking about using a Ford Escape as a "Toad" and I am wondering if anybody else in this group has done so. It would be the all wheel drive 6 cyl XLT 2007 model. Dale.

Re: Ford Escape
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 125677
Dale: Not sure about the '07 but I do know that some more recent models have had transmission problems towing. We are towing an Escape Hybrid with no issues but the reason we selected the hybrid was that there were no reported problems towing the hybrid.
 I'd check with Ford before pressing on. Last thing I read was that the problem was caused by too much transmission fluid and that the remedy was to lower the fluid level.

I really wanted the V6 but opted for the hybrid to avoid problems. Happy with the hybrid at this point. A bit slow on the take off but once speed is to cruising level, it performs well with between 27 and 30 mpg.

Bob  SE 5

__

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 125845
I am thinking about using a Ford Escape as a "Toad" and I am wondering if anybody else in this group has done so. It would be the all wheel drive 6 cyl XLT 2007 model.
Dale.

Dale
 What transmission??? If it's the standard I believe you're okay. But, I had the same thing in mind for my 2002 Escape with auto trans and was told in no uncertain terms that the ONLY way I could take it along was to put it on a flat bed trailer. Not even a dolly would work. That's why I'm now towing a Honda CRV.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Towing the: Ford Escape
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 125849
No sure my last answer made the list as it showed up as "spam" on my message board.  We have the Ford Escape Hybrid, which tows with no problems.  I wanted the V6; however, there were reported problems with the transmissions failing if they were towed.   I believe that Ford found the problem - too much transmission fluid.

Check your owners manual on your '07 and then call Ford to get their take on whether you can tow.  Also take a look at the towing guides from the motor home magazines.  The last one I saw gave an okay to tow the Escapes but there were restrictions on the 4cy and the 6's - pertained to speed and hours.

Bob

From: lejest2003 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com Sent: Saturday, October 8, 2011 6:03 PM Subject: [LD] Re: Ford Escape

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 125852
Steve, Thanks Steve. I coulddn't get a straight answer from anybody about towing the automatic so I've more or less given up on that idea for that reason. Even Ford dealers weren't giving me any straight info or written committment that was

Re: Towing the: Ford Escape
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 125853
Bob, I think I've given up on the V6 auto 2007 Ford Escape as a toad. I've read consumer complaints about the tranny and I don't need those kinds of expenses. I'll continue to tow my old reliable wrangler. Less comfort but less headaches.
Dale.

From: Robert Quinn To: "lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com" Sent: Saturday, October 8, 2011 8:28 PM Subject: [LD] Towing the: Ford Escape

No sure my last answer made the list as it showed up as "spam" on my message board.  We have the Ford Escape Hybrid, which tows with no problems.  I wanted the V6; however, there were reported problems with the transmissions failing if they were towed.   I believe that Ford found the problem - too much transmission fluid.

Check your owners manual on your '07 and then call Ford to get their take on whether you can tow.  Also take a look at the towing guides from the motor home magazines.  The last one I saw gave an okay to tow the Escapes but there were restrictions on the 4cy and the 6's - pertained to speed and hours.

Bob

From: lejest2003 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com Sent: Saturday, October 8, 2011 6:03 PM Subject: [LD] Re: Ford Escape

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 125902
"Who told you that it couldn't be towed, if you don't mind me asking?"

Dale.
Dale
 When I bought my Escape in 2002 I had no idea that one day I might want to tow it. I was at that time towing a 30' travel trailer with a Ford E350 Club Wagon. It wasn't until 2004 when I sold the TT and bought the LD that I thought, "Gee, maybe I can use the Escape for a Toad."
 Wrong... I took it to a local shop which specializes in towing set-ups. They had a discussion between themselves as to whether it could be towed. They made a call to 'Remco' and was told absolutely NOT, only on a flatbed, not even a dolly. Something to do with the part time/full time 4wd transmission. Still later the GS Motorhome Dingy Towing Guide also said the auto trans Escape was not towable. Perhaps newer models have changed, I don't know about that.
 I took it at face value and bought a 2002 Honda Civic. I still have the Escape, my D-I-L is driving it.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!