Skip to main content
Topic: Sealing vertical seams on '85 LD (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
Sealing vertical seams on '85 LD
Yahoo Message Number: 125542
Ok.. So I'm still doing my homework on upcoming chores on the new-to-us LD -- one that I noticed the other afternoon was a vertical seam on the drivers side just behind (and above) the drivers door area is a seam that connects the main panel to the front cab-over area -- it's about 8" long and is opened at this point -- I can easily slide a knife or other thin object into the opening.  It looks like it was once sealed with your average caulking but was wondering what others have sealed similar seams with -- is caulking such as 3M Marine 5200 sealant a good choice for such a seam?  Thx!

Re: Sealing vertical seams on '85 LD
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 125546
Rick
 3M 5200 is a good choice. Pry the gap open, clean, glue and add a screw or two.
 Use masking tape to cover the sheet metal, except the gap itself,  to eliminate getting poly where you do not want it.
Also check the Companion article on this.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 125550
On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 16:53:11 -0000, Larry wrote: "  3M 5200 is a good choice. Pry the gap open, clean, glue and add a screw or two."

Excellent!  I'll get some of that too!
 "  Use masking tape to cover the sheet metal, except the gap itself, to eliminate getting poly where you do not want it.
Also check the Companion article on this."
 Thanks!  By the way, the link you posted (the first one for flickering) was bad and didn't work for me.. I know what I'll be working on this weekend!

-- Rick

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 125551
I am thinking that your keystrokes would be reduced if you added your pictures on this and other topics to the  Companion.

Maybe how to do seams on a 1985 is not a hot topic, but there are others.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy