Skip to main content
Topic: Anyone tried re-veneering or wall-papering over the factory paneling (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
Anyone tried re-veneering or wall-papering over the factory paneling
Yahoo Message Number: 125502
Ok.. Perhaps off in left field but I'm going to ask anyway.. :-)

I'm not a huge fan of the odd wood pattern in our '85 LD -- it's too dark and can't be matched for the spots that need some work due to dryrot or bugs (or both).  I've got at least one spot on the rear wall that is in need of replacement and I was thinking about putting in a different material altogether (not trying to match LD's pattern of semi-distressed wood).  After looking at their pattern up close yesterday it made me wonder if it's even a veneer at all or is it wall-paper on the surface.. Anyone know?  Seems like it might be easier to put in whatever wood replacement floats my boat and apply wall-paper?

Another, possibly more expensive option would be to re-veneer the existing wood panels with a type of sheeting found locally that we like.. I believe a local place here in the LA area carries 4x8 sheets of it based on a recent visit but would need to double-check first.  That sounds doable as well since those sheets are easy to cut and apply with a form of glue but would need prep-work afterwards (staining/finishing with poly sealant).

I suspect I'm not the first to try this on their LD but wasn't able to find much when having Google search the archives.

Thx!

-- Rick

Re: Anyone tried re-veneering or wall-papering over the factory pane
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 125504
Nevermind.. I see my Google search of this list didn't do a good job -- a search directly from the list produced much better results.. Will peruse the results further..

Re: Anyone tried re-veneering or wall-papering over the factory pane
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 125505
Rick

The paneling has a printed coating and is not true veneer.
Many have painted the paneling in their older LDs to brighten the interior.
Use a primer made for plastics.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)