Skip to main content
Topic: Refrigerator Inspections? (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
Refrigerator Inspections?
Yahoo Message Number: 119417
As I was standing at the RV shop and waiting to get the bill from getting my furnace and oven fixed, I noticed a list of their general prices and under that were prices for yearly refrigerator and air conditioner inspections. Do you think it is necessary to do this? In 35 years of RVing, we've never done that but I tend to baby DD.

Judy Wms.
Blue '07 RB "Dog Daze" White '09 Scion "Puppy Daze" And all the fur kids

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Refrigerator Inspections?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 119419
"I noticed a list of their general prices and under that were prices for yearly refrigerator and air conditioner inspections"

Judy
 The service usually consist of cleaning the A/C filters and exterior coil fins and checking the output temperature.
The refrigerator's coils and, occasionally, the refrigerators burner jet are cleaned. This is all stuff a handy person can do on their own. It is also a good idea to check the refrigerators electrical connections and give them a light coating of dielectric grease.
A good source of maintenance information is Bob Livingston's  RV maintenance book.
http://www.amazon.com/RV-Repair-Maintenance-Manual-Expanded/dp/0934798702>

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Re: Refrigerator Inspections?
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 119430
On 1/4/2011 4:45 PM, Judy Williams wrote:

Do you think it is necessary to do this?

Certainly, if you have a new rig with a new refrigerator, the warranty that comes with the refrigerator states that in order for them to honor the warranty should anything go wrong, you must have had an annual inspection.  So in this case, yes, it's worth it.
 Considering how many fires have been started because of refrigerators, I'd say it's probably a good idea, anyway.

Linda Hylton http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Refrigerator inspections
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 119429
Judy
 The service usually consist of cleaning the A/C filters and exterior coil fins and checking the output temperature.
The refrigerator' s coils and, occasionally, the refrigerators burner jet are cleaned. This is all stuff a handy person can do on their own. It is also a good idea to check the refrigerators electrical connections and give them a light coating of dielectric grease.
A good source of maintenance information is Bob Livingston's RV maintenance book.
http://www.amazon com/RV-Repair- Maintenance- Manual-Expanded/ dp/0934798702>

Larry ...........................................................................
 Thanks Larry, I am not sure about doing this myself but I do have Bob's book and if it were not at the bottom of a compartment I would have probably thought of it myself (out of sight--out of mind). I will give it a shot and read that part. It sure beats paying those awful prices that RV places charge.

Judy Wms.
Blue '07 RB "Dog Daze" White '09 Scion "Puppy Daze" And all the fur kids

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Refrigerator inspections
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 119431
Larry.....I do not have Bob's book and I would like to know where I find the A/C filters and exterior coil fins and output temp???   I did open my exterior door on my 1991 Seabreeze and vacuumed  every inch I could get to and wiped off anything dusty and my refer works fine. Do I now go under refer by removing a drawer below it or? ? ? ?  I never heard of dielectric grease. Do I get it at Ace or an RV dealer? Do I apply it over the electrical fittings which have a plastic cap that kinda covers most of the fittings?   Thanks

Dennis W- Ft Mohave, AZ

__

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 119433
"I would like to know where I find the A/C filters and exterior coil fins and output temp??? I never heard of dielectric grease. Do I apply it over the electrical fittings which have a plastic cap that kinda covers most of the fittings?"

Dennis
 The A/C's coil fins are located under the roof-top A/C cover, which needs to be removed. Under the cover, I vacuum out any loose dirt and leaves and then use compressed air to blow the coil/fin assembly out. They also get plugged with dirt and leaves.
The A/C's filters (usually two) are located inside the rig and snap into the interior A/C's plastic fixture. The A/C's owner's manual should have the details.
I use a small instant-read thermometer to check the output temp. It should read in the mid to low 40s. when the unit is running, depending on the ambient temperature
 Use compressed air to blow the refrigerator's cooling coils, which are accessed from the refrigerator's exterior access door.
If the refrigerator has lost some of its cooling capacity, the burner assembly may need blowing out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwJ8Mmu_oLY> Every couple of years, depending on how much usage the rig gets , the gas jet needs cleaning but I recommend having someone do it who is experienced doing this. It takes a very small wrench to remove the jet. Soak in rubbing alcohol and then use an old toothbrush to clean it. Never use a wire to poke out a jet, it will damage it.
 If your refrigerator has had Dometic's recall done, you will find everything hidden behind a second sheet metal cover which also needs to be removed. Be very careful removing and reinstalling the screws. The sheet metal is very thin and the screw holes strip-out very easily.
 Dieletric grease in similar to silicone grease and it available in auto parts and marine stores. It is also known as 'tune-up' grease.
http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-22058-Dielectric-Tune-up-Grease/dp/B000AL8VD2> To use, remove the push-on electrical plugs, one at a time, and lightly butter up the contact surfaces and then replace. It's purpose is to prevent corrosion, on the plugs, helping to maintain a good, low-resistance electrical connection.
Bob's RV book is a great source of information on all of the appliances in your LD, get one if you can.

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 119436
"Larry.....I do not have Bob's book and I would like to know..."
 Larry is very generous with his help in this group... but rather than ask him to retype information that's readily available in print, why not simply buy Bob Livingston's book? Here's a link:

http://tinyurl.com/np42yg

It's worth every penny, believe me! :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 119438
"Larry"  wrote: ....a bunch of really good stuff about blowing out AC fins and coils, and coating plugs with dialectic grease, and blowing out the burner jet! I do have (and refer to frequently) Livingston's manual, but  Larry's straightforward "guide" is really handy; thanks! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home