Skip to main content
Topic: Maintenance item - Shock top bushings (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic
Maintenance item - Shock top bushings
Yahoo Message Number: 119345
There have been past issues with the driver's front shock bushings on Fords with Bilstein shocks.
The top nut is located where it is almost impossible to get a wrench on it to tighten it. It is  difficult to even touch the bushing, much less see it. A flashlight and a small dental-type of inspection mirror is useful for this inspection.
 A few weeks ago, we where driving up I-5 when we hit a section of rough road that caused the LD to start rocking violently side to side, something we have never experienced.
The next day I started inspecting the suspension, trying to figure out what the problem was.
I found the driver's side top shock bushing to be torn in half. Bilstein uses an unusual hour-glass shaped bushing, something I do not have immediate access to.
I replaced the bushing with the stock shock bushings the LD originally came with. Checking the rest of the shocks, front and rear, I found all the top bushings to be loose. Checking the Bilstein website, I found that Bilstein calls for 19 foot/pounds(ft/lbs) of torque for the nut securing the top.
It is impossible to use a torque wrench on the top nuts but I have a good feel for what about 20 ft/lbs feel like. I was surprised to see such a high value since I was taught years ago to tighten the nut until the bushings compress and spread but not to over compress them. I would estimate I had been tightening them to around 10-12 ft/lbs.
I ended up replacing both of the Bilstein front top bushings with the stock bushings and torquing the front and rear bushings to approximately 20 ft/lbs. The difference in ride stability was amazing.
 If your LD doesn't seem as stable as it once was or is bouncing more than usual, tighten or have our mechanic tighten the top shock bushings.
BTW, to estimate 19 ft/lbs, it will take 35-40 pounds of pressure on a wrench where the center of effort is about 6 inches from the center of the nut.
Hope this makes sense.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Re: Maintenance item - Shock top bushings
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 119362
Larry,

I might be able to find the top nut on the shock in a pit. I might even get close to 20 ft/lbs. But no way could I contort my body to accomplish this. Send diagram showing how an old man who is 6'4" could do this.
 It sounds like this is a deal that might not be done correctly by even a "expert".

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: Maintenance item - Shock top bushings
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 119365
"It sounds like this is a deal that might not be done correctly by even a "expert".

Don
 I think part of the problem with the Bilstein bushings falling apart on the driver's side front wheel is the inability of LD to properly tighten the top nut.
The Factory shocks are probably installed before the cab is positioned on the frame, allowing proper torquing. I know from first hand experience how hard it is to get to the nut, heck, I can barely touch it with one finger. If it wouldn't weaken the mount, I would torch out an access hole.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)