Skip to main content
Topic: Toastation post by Andy Baird... (Read 16 times) previous topic - next topic
Toastation post by Andy Baird...
Yahoo Message Number: 119223
We noticed with interest Andy- your posting of 12/17 re:The Hamilton Beach "Toastation" top feed twin toaster & side tray oven..How well it fit on the dinette etc. Just wondering after some useage by now what are your opinions/experiences on this appliance..?? Most customer reviews online are positive, however, a few are negative but can be solved by your suggestion to place the silicone rubber baking sheet on the top & turning the unit upside down over the sink or waste  container to rid the crumbs..!! Has anyone else purchased this unit & have any comments..?? We have a gift card to make use of & are thinking of adding this to our Rear Kitchen '06 - 27 ft Lazy Daze.."Footloose" !! Gene & Sally

Re: Toastation post by Andy Baird...
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 119226
Based on Andy's recommendation, I purchased it but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. As with all my small appliances, I'll keep it stored underneath until time to use it.

David Walker 2010 24FD Long Beach, CA

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 119234
As Andy mentioned, we have our Toastation under the table on our RB on a little shelf my husband made for the Toastation, some speakers, and various buckets of assorted detritus that I seem to need surrounding my work space.
 My husband uses the toaster feature at night for heating his midnight snack (midrats), but I usually bring the Toastation out to sit on top of the table when I use it.  It stays plugged in all the time, so it is easy to use in either position

It works great for toasting English muffins, both for his snack at night, and for toasting a bunch of 'em for Eggs Benedict, and for melted cheese sandwiches.  I haven't used it for much more than that yet.  The inside is not really big enough to do any "ovening", but the small treats are very tasty.

I know I will find other uses for it as time goes on.

Virtual hugs,

Judie (2005 RB) Expecting a sunny day in Verde Valley

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 119236
Could you post a photo of the shelf and perhaps show how it was installed.  Sounds interesting.
Thanks, Donna K 2011 TB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 119329
This device will not work for toast, but it sure will for main courses. Perhaps best used for the evening meal, depending on your driving habits. You don't need hookups or propane.
http://www.wisebread.com/cooking-great-meals-with-your-car-engine-the-heat-is-on http://www.wikihow.com/Cook-Food-on-Your-Car's-Engine http://supersoda.com/detail.php?id=00000000082
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 119338
"Manifold Destiny" - I love it, Don.   Now....can we get the coffee pot to fit

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 119346
"Manifold Destiny" - I love it, Don. Now....can we get the coffee pot to fit in the engine compartment as well?"

Ted

I'm available to make your dream come true .
What engine are you interested in? The V-10 has dual manifolds so a double oven is possible.
Think of the propane savings! I'm sure we can also include a toaster.

Who says there isn't enough tech in this forum?

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 119350
This device will not work for toast, but it sure will for main courses. Perhaps best used for the evening meal, depending on your driving habits. You don't need hookups or propane.
http://www.wisebread.com/cooking-great-meals-with-your-car-engine-the-heat-is-on http://www.wikihow.com/Cook-Food-on-Your-Car's-Engine http://supersoda.com/detail.php?id=00000000082
Ha!  Back in the Stone Age when I was in high school in Modesto (CA), a friend belonged to a foreign car club (he had a Citroen) that held gimmick rallies.  One of the challenges was to cook a meal between two check points.  A lot of messy engines on that one!  -- Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 119352
Even today, it is very common for snowmobilers to cook their lunches on the engine on the way to the lunch stop.

Dick

Re: Toastation post from Donna (LAZY DAISY), of Vaughn, WA
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 121506
Hi Judie,
 I was wondering what manufacturer makes the Toastation you have? Or any brands that others might be aware of, other than Hamilton Beach?

Thanks, Donna and Jim 26.5' RB LD 1997 Lazy Daizy, Vaughn, WA

Re: Toastation
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 121510
"I was wondering what manufacturer makes the Toastation you have? Or any brands that others might be aware of, other than Hamilton Beach?"
 Toastation is a Hamilton Beach product, and as far as I know, nobody else makes anything like it. I spent years looking for a toaster oven small enough to fit comfortably in my Lazy Daze. This is the only one that has a 7" front-to-back depth, plus the convertible oven/toaster capability:

http://tinyurl.com/3kcz5fj

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 121512
On 4/2/2011 7:49 AM, Andy Baird wrote:

Toastation is a Hamilton Beach product, and as far as I know, nobody else makes anything like it. I spent years looking for a toaster oven small enough to fit comfortably in my Lazy Daze. This is the only one that has a 7" front-to-back depth, plus the convertible oven/toaster capability:

Andy, how wide is the toaster slot?  We're trying to find one with slots big enough to handle a slice of bread without *squashing* it side to side.  Most toasters have slots that are 5" wide...the bread we usually buy is around 5.25" in width, so for a toaster that has one big slot, we'd need a slot of at least 10.5".  Maybe a piece of Wonderbread might fit in most toasters, but not the bread we buy! ;-)

Linda Hylton http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Linda Hylton

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 121513
Quote from: Earl & Linda Hylton

"Andy, how wide is the toaster slot?  We're trying to find one with slots big enough..."

Linda Hylton

Not Andy here Linda
 Just measured mine and found the slot (singular) measures 10 3/8" X 1 3/8" at the widest dimension. However that shrinks to 10" X 1 1/4" inside due to the way it's constructed. There is a wire grid which moves inward to support the bread slice in the center. The overall footprint is 15½ X 8". Hope this helps.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 121516
On 4/2/2011 10:21 AM, lejest2003 wrote:

However that shrinks to 10" X 1 1/4" inside due to the way it's constructed.

If that 10" is the maximum width to fit two pieces of bread, then it, too, is too small.  We'll keep looking.

Thanks for the info.

Linda Hylton

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 121518
On 4/2/2011 10:21 AM, lejest2003 wrote: However that shrinks to 10" X 1 1/4" inside due to the way it's constructed.

"If that 10" is the maximum width to fit two pieces of bread, then it, too, is too small.  We'll keep looking."
Linda Hylton

Linda
 You could just trim the crust off of one or more sides and make it work. Don't know of any other device like this one, outside of a straight toaster. I've retired my four slice now that I have the Toastation.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 121522
"How wide is the toaster slot?"

1.5" x10". It'll take two bagels or English muffins, and it has no problem with a wide slice of home-baked or "artisan" bread.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 121523
"You could just trim the crust off..."

Oh, no--that's the best part! :-)

Andy Baird
Andy Baird

Re: Toastation post from Donna (LAZY DAISY), of Vaughn, WA
Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 121528
The Toastation is manufactured by Hamilton Beach.  I don't have any personal experience with a similar product, although there are a couple of possibilities at Amazon, including one that will accommodate four slices of bread at a time, but is somewhat larger overall.

Virtual hugs,

Judie (2005 RB) Not quite so grounded in Sierra Vista, Arizona

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 121530
Of course, if you want the ideal RVing toaster--one that combines multiple functions in a single unit--then you might want to consider this 2-slice toaster with built-in FM radio:

http://tinyurl.com/3ghg242
 ... or this deluxe version with digital FM/AM tuner and MP3 player input:

http://tinyurl.com/5tkjvfd
 And for you Disney enthusiasts, there's this one, which burns Mickey Mouse's picture onto every slice of toast:

http://tinyurl.com/3l4ge6s

(I'll bet Kate has one already. ;-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird

Toastation posts Summary
Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 121542
For those with short memories (from Dec 2010):
 The Toastation is manufactured by Hamilton Beach. There is a two-slice version, discussed here, as well as a larger four-slice model. The two-slice model sells for about $40 and the four-slice version is around $68.
 The slot (singular) measures 10 3/8" X 1 3/8" at the widest dimension. However that shrinks to 10" X 1 1/4" inside due to the way it's constructed. There is a wire grid which moves inward to support the bread slice in the center. The overall footprint is 15½ X 8". It's a combination popup toaster and toaster oven that's only *seven inches* from front to back--little more than half the depth of most toaster ovens. Yet it has a 6" x 9" baking tray that can hold two individual pizzas, and a 1.5" wide toaster slot on top that can accommodate anything from two slices of bread to a split bagel. (A lever selects between oven and popup toaster modes.) Andy measured a Toastation with a ruler before and it's definitely 7" deep at the bottom, tapering to 6" at the top. (Those sizes don't include the oven door's handle, which protrudes about 1.75".)
 As for its cord: it's short: only two feet. It's just the right length to reach the outlets above the counter without a lot of slack to deal with. But if you had it in a different location, you might need to use an extension cord. It draws 1,300 watts--less than the microwave oven, but not by much--so you'd need a heavy-duty extension cord. Any hardware store will sell you a 6' heavy-duty extension cord that's sized for safe use with air conditioners and other power-hungry items like the Toastation..
 It'll take two bagels or English muffins, and it has no problem with a wide slice of home-baked or "artisan" bread.

I gotta share
Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 121543
I promise, only one email about this.
The two bumps on the left side of the Observatory are people.
This is a frame from a video where they can be seen walking around.
The Observatory is more than 8 miles from  the point where the camera was located.
Governments have been able to do this kind of photography for years,  but Milspec setups start at $75,000.00 I can build better setups than the one that took this video for a little over $500.00 in parts.

Re: I gotta share
Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 121544
On 4/3/2011 4:42 AM, George Peters wrote:

This is a frame from a video where they can be seen walking around.

George, this Group strips all non-text items from posts, so if you were trying to attach a picture to your post, it won't (and didn't) come through.
 You're best bet is to go to the Group's main website and add it to the Photos section on the left-hand side of the page.  Or, if you have one of the numerous free photo-sharing accounts, upload it over there and then give us the URL.

Linda Hylton

Re: Toastation posts Summary
Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 121547
For those with short memories (from Dec 2010):
 The Toastation is manufactured by Hamilton Beach. There is a two-slice version, discussed here, as well as a larger four-slice model. The two-slice model sells for about $40 and the four-slice version is around $68.
 The slot (singular) measures 10 3/8" X 1 3/8" at the widest dimension. However that shrinks to 10" X 1 1/4" inside due to the way it's constructed. There is a wire grid which moves inward to support the bread slice in the center. The overall footprint is 15½ X 8". It's a combination popup toaster and toaster oven that's only *seven inches* from front to back--little more than half the depth of most toaster ovens. Yet it has a 6" x 9" baking tray that can hold two individual pizzas, and a 1.5" wide toaster slot on top that can accommodate anything from two slices of bread to a split bagel. (A lever selects between oven and popup toaster modes.) Andy measured a Toastation with a ruler before and it's definitely 7" deep at the bottom, tapering to 6" at the top. (Those sizes don't include the oven door's handle, which protrudes about 1.75".)
 As for its cord: it's short: only two feet. It's just the right length to reach the outlets above the counter without a lot of slack to deal with. But if you had it in a different location, you might need to use an extension cord. It draws 1,300 watts--less than the microwave oven, but not by much--so you'd need a heavy-duty extension cord. Any hardware store will sell you a 6' heavy-duty extension cord that's sized for safe use with air conditioners and other power-hungry items like the Toastation..
 It'll take two bagels or English muffins, and it has no problem with a wide slice of home-baked or "artisan" bread.

And now folks, this Toastation summary in now immortalized in the Lazy Daze Companion - thanks to Ted.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB