Skip to main content
Topic: Anybody do dog field trials in their Lazy Daze? (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Anybody do dog field trials in their Lazy Daze?
Yahoo Message Number: 118461
Just got our "new" 1997 26.5 mid bath.  One of the activites that I plan to do in it is attend and run dogs in "pointing breed field trials" here in the West.
 May be pulling a horse trailer in the next few years also, but not yet.
 Wonder if anyone else out there has done this type of activity and set up their rigs for things like crates and dog cleaning areas?

Really am looking forward to our maiden voyage on Thanksgiving.

Rod and Joanie Michaelson Walnut Creek, CA http://redbirddog.blogspot.com

Re: Anybody do dog field trials in their Lazy Daze?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 118462
Rod, I use mine to show dogs in all breed shows.  I have a x-pen carrier on front.  I have a FL so I took out the chairs and my crates go there.  I can fit four 400 without a problem.  I usually carry 200 or 300 crates.  I would think about replacing floor and get rid of carpet.  I have carpet but keep it covered in dirty area where muddy paws could be a problem. I carry tarps and x-pen mats in the rear cargo carrier.  If you have an exterior shower you can use that to hose off the dogs.
http://www.aladarbeagles.com/motorhome.html D

AlaDar Beagles
www.aladarbeagles.com

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 118500
Wonder if anyone else out there has done this type of activity and set up their rigs for things like crates and dog cleaning areas?

Really am looking forward to our maiden voyage on Thanksgiving.

Rod and Joanie Michaelson, After 35 years of breeding/showing/trialing we had to hang it up and ended up with 6 dogs. They are all with us now and we use the dinette area for their wire crate area. If you want to see actual pictures of how we do it, go to the photo section and look up "Dog Daze" pictures. I don't always explain things well so pictures tell it better.

Have fun on your maiden voyage!!

Judy Wms.
Blue "07 RB "Dog Daze" White '09 Scion "Puppy Daze" And all the fur kids

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 118504
-

After 35 years of breeding/showing/trialing we had to hang it up and ended up with 6 dogs. They are all with us now and we use the dinette area for their wire crate area. If you want to see actual pictures of how we do it, go to the photo section and look up "Dog Daze" pictures. I don't always explain things well so pictures tell it better.

Have fun on your maiden voyage!!

Judy,
Thanks for the link to the pictures of "Dog Daze."  The use of the space between where the dinning table fits sounds like a great spot.
 We just got yoga mats to put over the carpet to protect from paws. Three thin yoga maps covers most of the walking areas.
 Saw a post on installing an outside shower.  Might need to add this option some day soon.
 Keeping the rig clean out in a muddy field can be a challenge but worth it.

Rod Michaelson http://redbirddog.blogspot.com

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 118512
Rod,
 I also have used my MB for dog showing (Canaan Dogs).  Haven't done it in a couple of years though.  I would also use the dinette area to set up a couple of crates with the area below dedicated to supplies and the drawer below closest to the door would also be used for dog stuff.
In maximum dog configuration, I would also pull the cushion from one of the rear couches.  I could set up 3 300 wire crates there or 2 300 and a 400.  You could probably get 3 400's there, but I never had the need.  Under the crates, I used large bath mats, which protected the wood and helped keep crates from moving.  I would put my x-pens along the side of the other couch, on the floor, but standing up.  Oh, another good crate spot, is the very back between the couches.  I even traveled to a show with a litter of pups.  I had them set up in the dinette area.  I lined the whole area with 4 mil plastic, which worked very well to keep everything clean & dry.
 A must have is a large patio mat or astro-turf by the entrance.  This was my staging area to get dogs cleaned up before letting them in.
Along with x-pens, you need something to put along the LD, to prevent dogs going under to get out.  The best solution I have seen is plastic lattice cut to be just taller than the bottom of the RV.  I myself would use unused chairs or other items I had laying around.  As I would not leave them unsupervised outside, it didn't need to be escape proof.
 The hardest aspect of traveling with the dogs was their food.  I feed my dogs raw, which meant everything needed to be refrigerated.  I ended up having to always bring a cooler just for their food.  If  I only traveled with a couple dogs, then I would just buy small quantities of stuff every few days and keep it in the fridge.

Hope that helps.  Happy dog trails.

-Victor '91 MB Midsummer Canaan Dogs former President of the Israel Canaan Dog Club of America