Skip to main content
Topic: How much is 5GB? (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
How much is 5GB?
Yahoo Message Number: 118433
How much is 5GB? [Giga-Bytes] It's not that much. We have been using a Verizon modem for three years to access the Internet. Starting this August, we have been bumping up to our 5GB allotment every month.
Maybe they have improved their methods of tallying usage? Anywho, you sure don't want to exceed your allotment as excess charges are serious money.

To have a "ruler" to see how we are doing I made a table that shows where we should be at the end of each week in the billing cycle.

First, a little arithmetic.

5GB is 5120MB (5 * 1024) 5120MB is 5,242,880KB (5120 * 1024)

Well that sure looks like a big number.

Divide it by 30 days and your average daily usage is a paltry 174,765KB or 1,223,338KB or a week. Call it 1.2KB

So usage at end of first week should be around 1.2KB, second week -
2.3, third week - 3.45 and the fourth week - 4.5. This leaves a little
 cushion for the last few days of a billing cycle.

More and more news sites start up a short video automatically. This burns bandwidth. Some sites automatically refresh the page every few minutes, this also burns bandwidth. Some pages never complete loading.
Watch for the icon your browser uses to indicate page is still loading and manually stop the load if necessary.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: How much is 5GB?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 118435
On Nov 20, 2010, at 3:31 PM, Don Malpas wrote:

Hope this helps someone out there.
It helps me, Don. A lot.

Thank you!!!

Martha

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 118445
On 11/20/2010 2:31 PM, Don Malpas wrote:

How much is 5GB?

So what have you been doing differently?

We've been using a Verizon USB modem for several years now and have never gone over the 5GB per month allotment.  That's with both of us online...downloading email, surfing, reading several RV forums.  Neither of us download large files such as video or audio and we don't watch TV.
 If you are consistently going over 5GB per month, and you're out of your two-year contract with Verizon, you might want to consider going with Millenicom:  http://www.millenicom.com/
 They have several different plans, including a 10GB per month plan at $59.99 which uses the Verizon network.

Linda Hylton http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 118447
Linda I couldn't find what carrier they used except on the unlimited plans which were Sprint.
Is the modem they use the key to the carrier..
Thanks Garry

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 118452
On 11/20/2010 5:17 PM, Garry Foster wrote:

I couldn't find what carrier they used except on the unlimited plans which were Sprint.

As I said in my previous post, they use Verizon (except, as you noted, for the BYOD plan).

You can always contact them to verify.

Linda Hylton http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton