Skip to main content
Topic: Travel with LD in teen temperatures (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Travel with LD in teen temperatures
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 118396
Shortly after getting Enterprise, it sat for a month in January in NJ.  We had several significant snowfalls (several inches, enough to require shoveling) and had a week of temps in the teens with a few days below zero.  My tanks were fine.  I left cabinet doors and access panels open to maximize air circulation.  The only problem I had was that the drain pipes to the gate valves froze and I was unable to dump my tanks.
 Some relevant information - I have a 2008 midbath, so my walls, floor and roof are foam insulated.  I kept it at about 70 inside.  My tanks are NOT insulated.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 118398
All the important stuff, fresh water, plumbing and so forth is inside the coach. The only possible exception to that is the shower dra

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 118482
Someone will add info if this statement is not correct, but the heated tape wraps, I believe, will keep the valve gates and surrounding holding tank pipes from freezing, but to keep the tanks themselves from freezing, you will need to add something like this product:

http://www.ultraheat.com/shop/Tank_Heaters--AMModel_3600_Tank_Heater.html>

http://www.ehow.com/how_2097799_cold-weather-camp-rv.html>

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 118486
FYI...I found two real nice 5 gal gas cans and was wondering how to take one along with me, but when I asked for members opinions, I was advised NOT to carry them

Attaching propane and gas cans to bumpers
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 118489
"FYI...I found two real nice 5 gal gas cans and was wondering how to take one along with me, but when I asked for members opinions, I was advised NOT to carry them in any carriers attached to the bumpers in the event someone hit me or I backed into something. Would this principal also apply to propane tanks? "

Dennis W. Ft Mohave, AZ

Yes.

Chris __ From: teresadhill
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Mon, November 22, 2010 7:57:39 AM
 Subject: [LD] Re: Travel with LD in teen temperatures

Dave, when we were in Breckenridge (Tiger Run CG) last Christmas, we saw that a lot of the long-termers had a large separate propane tank attached to an Extend-A-Stay. A truck likely refilled on-site, making it convenient.
 Having a second (and detached) propane tank, however small, would give you a backup as well, even if you have to run it off in your toad to refill. In fact, you could have a few extra tanks, if you wanted.
 Sherry, we had no problem with the water tank, but our grey and black tanks froze solid in Colorado and could not be emptied until they thawed, which was not until Houston! Others (Kate & Terry) have devised heated tape wraps to help, which I highly advise.
 Reflectix from Home Depot, carefully cut (in advance) to fit all windows saved us.

Also, make sure a heavy blanket closes off the cab from the coach area.

Lots more advice for winter camping here:

Links > Improvements > Winter Travel Tips

http://tinyurl.com/29vxrz6

Hope that helps, Tessa in (warm) TX

get cold much sooner than my tanks! :)

-Dave '06 MB, Indianapolis

wondering if there would be a problem with water tanks?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 118497
"I found two real nice 5 gal gas cans and was wondering how to take one along with me."
 I have to ask: why? Unless you have a really old rig, your Lazy Daze has a 50-gallon gas tank that's good for at least 450 miles. I'm pretty confident that there's no place in the continental US where you can drive 450 miles without encountering a gas station. So why would you need to carry extra gas in a can?
 OK, maybe your rig has no generator, so you're carrying around a little Honda. Since it's not practical to siphon gas from the vehicle's tank, you might need a small gas can in that situation. But mounted on the bumper? Why not just mount a Claymore mine there? ;-)
 "I was advised NOT to carry them in any carriers attached to the bumpers in the event someone hit me or I backed into something. Would this principal also apply to propane tanks?"
 Is propane flammable? Well, then, I sure as heck wouldn't carry it on my bumper. Again, there's already a sizable propane tank safely mounted under your rig. My advice: learn to live with what you have. It works for most of us. :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 118517
"teresadhill"  wrote: Ciao's got a 26 gallon tank at most and goes half that distance between fillups.
--- Really!?  I don't recall just when Ford changed the fuel tank capacity of the cab chassis to 55 gallons, but I thought that all cab chassis and vans prior to whenever that was had at least a 35-gallon fuel tank...???  You certainly know your own rig; I'm just surprised that the fuel capacity is only 26 gallons.  ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Re: Travel with LD in Hawaii
Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 118518
Quote from: teresadhill"

Shoot, I'm hereby offering *GOLD STAR* to the first person who takes their LD to Hawaii!  (heehee!)
 How about a paper star for me and a gold one for Ladybug? ? ? ?  She's been to all 50 states but not with us ;-) I don't have the heart to remove the completed map on her door because she earned it! The original owner had her shipped to Hawaii so he could put it on the map. He sure did pamper her.
 Karen - trying not to count the days before we hit the road again.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 118519
"I'm just surprised that the fuel capacity is only 26 gallons."
 Gertie (1985 22' twin/king) had an optional 50-gallon tank, but the standard tank that year was 35 gallons. but that was a Chevy chassis... maybe 25 gallons was standard on early (sorry, Tessa ;-) Ford Econoline chassis?
 Tessa does make some good points, though I still have to say that carrying gas in extra containers scares me--and it's legally prohibited on some major highways I've traveled.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 118520
Welllll, maybe those fumes are getting to me and Ciao's fuel tank is larger than my memory serves.  I have a sneaking suspicion that Joan knows more than I do about my rig...  :)

I will look it up

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 118521
"teresadhill"  wrote: usually if Joan says it, it is. I am smart enough to know who is smarter! ---- Uhhhh....hardly! When I hit 50% on the "didn't screw up" meter, it's a good day! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 118711
I thought I'd report on our winter thanksgiving trip. We took our 22' 1989 multiplan up to my in-laws (only an hour away) for the weekend and parked it in the driveway. We kept it winterized, but plugged it in. We saw a high of 27 degrees and Thanksgiving night saw a low of 5 F. But mostly it was around 15-20. We stayed warm. Here is what we did: We have the foil blankets (they look like bubble wrap) that we've cut for all the windows and keep those up as soon as the sun goes down. For the sun facing windows they come off as soon as there is sun on the windows. Since we were plugged in, we had an oil filled radiator that we kept in the middle of the coach at night and then ther furnace would supplement that occasionally. A definite is the large blanket tucked under the bunk and draped over the cab. With this setup we had no trouble keeping it around 72 in the evenings and mornings and around 65 while we slept. BTW we have a 2 1/2 old daughter that slept fine, in fact we put her in the bunk with us the first night but she got too warm and slept the other nights on the dinette. We kept it winterized (lines blown out, antiifreeze in the traps) and used bottled water and then used the bathroom in the house when needed. As for using the toilet in the motorhome, when we winter camp like this we use the toilet only for #1 and we 'flush' with windshield washing (blue) fluid. No solids going in.
Lessons learned: 1)We need a different cab blanket; one that completely seals off the cab. The one we have is about 2" short and you can feel the cold air rushing in on your feet. 2)We don't have any insulation in the ceiling vents. One of those things we've been meaning to do, but havent got to it. 3)more throw rugs for the vinyl floors (very cold on bare feet).
Sorry for the long post, but let me also say, we replaced the thermostat with a digital one, from the original bimetal one. WOW! It is amazing how much more even the temperatures are. No more setting it at 65 and feeling temperatures of 55 to 75. Amazing! I was thinking about putting more of that foil insulating blanket under the bunk matress, it seems like it would help radiate any heat back into the cab and keep some of the cold out. What do you think, anyone done something like this? and did it make a difference?

Jared Utah