Skip to main content
Topic: Gas valve operation (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Gas valve operation
Yahoo Message Number: 117972
Joe said  either direction.  > This is a multi turn valve, not a quarter turn valve, like I  think you were expecting. The multi turn valve, like a water valve on a hose bib  is closed when fully 'wound' clockwise, and fully open when 'wound' fully counterclockwise. Close the tank valve fully clockwise. When closed there will still be gas under pressure in the lines. Light a burner on the stove top to use  up the gas in the line. When the flame goes out, there will still be residual  gas in the lines, but not much.
I suspect your propane tank valve is working properly.
I  would buy a fitting to blank off the flare pipe fitting at the refrigerator. This will allow you to use other appliances while the refrigerator  is disconnected. Keep this fitting handy somewhere in case you ever need to do this again. I have one in the tool box that travels with the motorhome.
(haven't  used it yet) If you really need to change the valve on your tank, well I would  park in a remote location and use the vent to allow your gas to escape to atmosphere. Not very safe, and might take quite a while. (no sparks!) You have a 1983 multi plan. Do you have the Manchester frame mounted tank, or a removable, "just sits in an exterior compartment" tank? Hope this helped.  RonB and a '99 TKB named Bluebelle.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB