Skip to main content
Topic: Loose Exterior Wall (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Loose Exterior Wall
Yahoo Message Number: 117931
Good evening,
 I noticed tonight that my exterior aluminum shell between the passengers side door and mid entry door below the window has become loose.  The seam has not separated but while pushing on it, there is "play".  I looked in the TV cable outlet and did not see any rot or water damage.  The site view from there is very limited.
 My thought was maybe buying a nice looking piece of aluminum trim and trying to tighten the "play" with self tapping screws.  Has anyone else had this happen to them?
 Are the exterior walls glued to the plywood?  It is unclear to me how the aluminum shell attaches...

Td 1989 26.5RB

Re: Loose Exterior Wall
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 117932
Are the exterior walls glued to the plywood?  It is unclear to me how the aluminum shell attaches...
The aluminum siding is not secured to the exterior wood paneling. It is 'clamped' to the framing where there are windows, door frames, or obvious screwed-on seams (such as the roof edge gusset, floorline seam, etc). This is necessary because the aluminum expands and contracts far more than the wood structure underneath.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 117933
"This is necessary because the aluminum expands and contracts far more than the wood structure underneath."

Steve
 Some of the exterior aluminum is bonded to thin plywood to increase its structural strength. LD uses a low VOC polyurethane glue in a machine that spreads the glue on one piece and then rolls and presses the plywood and sheet aluminum together. The high strength and flexibility of the glue overcome the differences in expansion.
I would imagine its still possible for a bond to break either in a small area or even a whole sheet. I know they have gone through several adhesives over the years due to changes in air pollution regulations. I would assume some adhesives did not work as well as others.
 In the photo below, showing the inside of a damaged cab over wall, you can see the bonded plywood or whats left of it.
The remaining plywood is firmly attached to the aluminum.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/5137483885/in/set-72157625292745084/> LD may use bonded aluminum only in high stress areas. The cab over certainly qualifies as a high stress area with so much cantilevered weight.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 117935
"...In the photo below, showing the inside of a damaged cab over wall, you can see the bonded plywood or whats left of it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/5137483885/in/set-72157625292745084/> LD may use bonded aluminum only in high stress areas. The cab over certainly qualifies as a high stress area with so much cantilevered weight."

Larry
Larry, those are awful photos!  What year LD is it?  How will you repair such invasive damage?

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 117937
"those are awful photos! What year LD is it? How will you repair such invasive damage?"

Chris

The LD is a twenty year old model that had several long term leaks.
 I cradled and jacked up the driver's side of the cab-over to get it aligned again (so the driver's door could be opened again without hitting) and then rebuilt the interior using a heavy steel cross-piece, plywood and lots of glue and screws.
It was challenge since the main structural pieces, that support the cab-over, were gone. On the driver's side, everything was eaten away. There was enough moisture and soil-like debris to grow mushrooms.
When the exterior screws, that connect the side wall to the front cap, were removed, a quarter inch wide gap appeared where the sealant had failed. The roof also leaked in the front corners, a problem that was recently cured with a total resealing.
Can't say it was fun job but it was very instructive to see how the framing is assemble from the inside.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 117939
"...In the photo below, showing the inside of a damaged cab over wall, you can see the bonded plywood or whats left of it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/5137483885/in/set-72157625292745084/>
A well cared for rig.
Parked and forgotten I would guess.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 117951
"those are awful photos! What year LD is it? How will you repair such invasive damage?"
 I am getting ready to do this on an 85.  I expect to find the same or similar amount of damage.  I'll get the process documented as well.  So far out bunk has not sagged to were the door rubs.

Ramon

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 121342
"Appreciate any feedback you can offer."

Hi Jenene and Bill, No doubt Larry will comment at some point..  he gets pretty busy.  He has been coaching me on my 85 bunk rebuild.  It is not for everyone.  Depending on how much damage is involved, you may want to have someone do it.  I am an engineer who loves to tinker, my father-in-law is retired and has become quite the carpenter.  He has a full wood workshop.
 We have been working on this as time permits.  At first I was trying to save certain items and not do more damage but as I got into it, I found there are no shortcuts..  meaning you have to take more apart than you thought. The inner walls are glued as well as nailed to the walls.  There is no saving any of it (wood/screw/paneling wise).  I managed to get the "wall paper" for lack of better terms off the walls to use as a template to make the new walls in the bunk area.
 When we bought this I crawled up in the bunk it was all wet and I was able to push my finger through many areas in the corners and under the windows.  I kind of knew what I was getting into as I have repaired other campers before.  I will say that you truly understand Lazy Daze "well built" reputation when you take one of these apart.
 Have a look as some of the pictures of mine.  The right corner was worse than the left but the whole thing in my eyes is a mess.  This will take many more hours to complete. I am taking and recording all measurements in case someone down the road needs them.  I have and will be making more sketches/drawings of this too.
 https://picasaweb.google.com/mrfixit454/BunkRebuild?authkey=Gv1sRgCPXn3MGI6O_d2gE&feat=directlink

My thinking is "Anything can be fixed with a little time and money!" Good luck Ramon

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 121363
Great pictures, Ramon.  I look forward to seeing photos of just how you go about repairing that damage.  Good luck!  -- Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 121367
"Great pictures, Ramon."
 I'll take 1/2 credit Jon...  the clear ones are from a great camera..  the blurry ones are from my cell phone.  I need to remember to bring my camera as well as tools when I work on the rig.  It sits at my in-laws house.

Ramon