Skip to main content
Topic: One more question about DISH TV (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
One more question about DISH TV
Yahoo Message Number: 117853
I've been seriously thinking about switching from DirecTV to Dish, and I think I have found all the past LD forum posts about it.
 One thing I haven't been able to determine, is which channels are on which satellite.  With DirecTV I don't have to move the dish, but then again, I can't get HD.  I need to know if this will be a showstopper for us or not.  Otherwise, the price looks great!

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks for your patience and advice!

Holly 2008 MB Hernando, FL

Re: One more question about DISH TV
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 117854
"I've been seriously thinking about switching from DirecTV to Dish, and I think I have found all the past LD forum posts about it.
 One thing I haven't been able to determine, is which channels are on which satellite.  With DirecTV I don't have to move the dish, but then again, I can't get HD.  I need to know if this will be a showstopper for us or not.  Otherwise, the price looks great!

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks for your patience and advice!"

Holly 2008 MB Hernando, FL
Holly, do you have a fixed on-the-roof sat antenna or a portable one you move around outside?

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 117863
On 10/29/2010 3:19 PM, hollyscott wrote:

One thing I haven't been able to determine, is which channels are on which satellite.

This should help:
 http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/dish119.html

This will give you the channels on Dish Network's 119 satellite (plus a lot more, so it will require some wading through), where the bulk of their SD programming is available.
 To find the channels on the 110 and the 129 satellites, just change the 119 in the above URL to 110 and then to 129.  If you want to subscribe to Dish Network's HD programming, you'll have to be able to "see" all 3 satellites.

Linda Hylton http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 117869
Holly,

I've been with DISH network for quite a few years.  We have the middle tier standard definition (SD) package with no premium channels.
At home we have a DISH 500 dish which receives from two satellites (110 and 119) simultaneously. All the basic cable SD stations that we get come from 119, while the local, spot-beamed channels are from 110.  When traveling we use either the roof-mounted dish or a small portable dish if trees are a problem.  Both can "see" only one satellite at a time, so we aim it to 119.  For local weather and news, we rely on the Winegard over-the-air antenna.

For a complete list of DISH channels and their corresponding satellites, click here http://dishuser.org/dishlist.php>  .

Toad '05 RB  NE-13 Charlton MA About to hit the road!!

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 117872
On 10/30/2010 6:06 AM, wxtoad wrote:

For a complete list of DISH channels and their corresponding satellites, click here  .

If you are talking about the "Downloadable Dish Network Channel Chart PDF Files," I get a "Oops, this link appears to be broken" for both the "Sorted by channel" and "Sorted by beam/transponder."

Linda Hylton

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 117876
For info on what channels are on Dish go here  SatelliteGuys. US_TheList
http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?search=dnsatsdn110?=true&sort =&order=&beamMap=E10_SB30.jpg>  - dnsatsdn110?=true

Thank you,

Paul

Paul A. Dixon, PC

Certified Public Accountant

2609 South Quebec Street, #11

Denver, CO 80231

Office:            303-333-3630

Fax:                303-496-7776

E-Mail:            paul@...>

E-Mail:            lucia@...>

Confidentiality Notice
 The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately.

IRS circular 230 Notice to Recipient:
 To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we are required to inform you that this correspondence is not intended or written to be used, nor is it permissible to be used, for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 117877
"The fixed one, Chris.  Glad not to haul the separate dish around too."

Regards, Holly
Then unless you replace the roof sat antenna, you still will not be able to get HD TV with Dish (I'm pretty sure).  I have the older Winegard manual sat antenna (2002) and recently replaced the TV with a Vizio HDTV and can get HD TV when using the batwing antenna, but not with the sat antenna - and we have DirecTV - because the antenna is a single LNB.  I believe you need a triple LNB antenna for HD TV.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 117879
If you are talking about the "Downloadable Dish Network Channel Chart

PDF Files," I get a "Oops, this link appears to be broken" for both the "Sorted by channel" and "Sorted by beam/transponder."

Linda, if you scroll down about 3 pages you will see the bold print
 words "Current Listing" and just below that are another set of the same

links that do work.

JC

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 117883
On 10/30/2010 10:14 AM, chorst_2000 wrote:

Then unless you replace the roof sat antenna, you still will not be able to get HD TV with Dish (I'm pretty sure).  I have the older Winegard manual sat antenna (2002) and recently replaced the TV with a Vizio HDTV and can get HD TV when using the batwing antenna, but not with the sat antenna - and we have DirecTV - because the antenna is a single LNB.  I believe you need a triple LNB antenna for HD TV.
Chris:

You are correct that you cannot receive HDTV on DirecTV with a single-LNB dish.  That's because DirecTV broadcasts their HD on the Ka band and that takes a special LNB.
 However, you CAN get HDTV with Dish Network and a single-LNB dish.  The only problem is that, if you want to watch the full complement of Dish Network's HDTV, you have to be able to "see" 3 satellites.  With a single-LNB dish, that means you'd have to readjust the dish each time you wanted to watch a program appearing on a different satellite...a real PITA.

Linda Hylton