Skip to main content
Topic: CO false alarm (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
CO false alarm
Yahoo Message Number: 117851
In our 2008 FD, we have a Costar CO alarm. Today was the third time I've found the alarm going off, but I don't have anything on that could produce CO. Just to be sure that I'm not missing something, here is the situation:
 The coach is inside our storage building, plugged in with the reefer on AC. The propane bottle valve is in the closed position. I put a new battery in the alarm in August after I heard a low battery beep. Since then it has given false (I think) alarms three times, all under different circumstances. One of the times was when we were dry camping and the reefer was on propane. Each time, I have removed the battery, and then reinstalled it and the alarm does not go off again for weeks. I don't trust this thing, but it says on the cover that it is good until 2015.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Re: CO false alarm
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 117852
In our 2008 FD, we have a Costar CO alarm. Today was the third time I've found the alarm going off, but I don't have anything on that could produce CO. Just to be sure that I'm not missing something, here is the situation:
Larry, they have warranty for 5 years according to their site.  Get in touch.
http://www.qginc.com/

Joe Hamm

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 117855
New CO alarms are available of Lowes, HD, etc., for under $20. Were it mine, I'd simply replace it. If the new alarm also goes off, they you surely have a problem that needs to be identified.

Ed

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 117856
Thanks. I do plan to buy another CO detector tomorrow. I used a friend's brand new one when this happened while we were camping. His did not go off, but neither did mine after the first event. I seem to remember spiders causing false alarms with our fire alarm in the house many moons ago. I hate spiders! I think I'll also try gently blowing some compressed air through this one.
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 117857
Could be bad battery contact. I would check for signs of deposits or corrosion on the battery contacts in the unit, and clean both those contacts and the battery terminals with propanol. If there is contact damage, then burnish with a pen eraser first.
 Our detector is mounted near the head of the bunk, where one of our cats passes it closely when jumping down. It beeps in dry weather just after he passes by - probably static discharge.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 117866
Our CO alarm has gone off three times in the past few years for no apparent reason--all at rather high altitudes.  Resetting didn't seem to solve the problem.    I replaced batteries and unit went back to normal.  However,  we also bought two backups at Ace Hardware just to be sure.  Put them in the space above the door.  All seem to be working now and no recent alarms.