Skip to main content
Topic: 1991 rear window roller shade (Read 12 times) previous topic - next topic
1991 rear window roller shade
Yahoo Message Number: 117771
Anybody ever had to fix these?
 My rear shade won't pop back up well anymore.  It makes a broken spring kind of sound now.  Pardon the dumb questions but do these work on springs?  It's hard to see up in there and I'd like to know more before I start messing around.  Anybody know haw to fix this?

Thanks in advance for any help -

Re: 1991 rear window roller shade
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 117773
"do these work on springs?"
 Yup, just like any roller blind. Take it to a Home Depot or Lowe's and they should be able to either sell you repair parts or cut a new shade to the necessary size.
 You'll have to remove the valances to get it out, of course... but you might just find that you enjoy the brighter interior and enhanced view from the windows enough that you won't want to put them back on. ;-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: 1991 rear window roller shade
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 117776
Anybody ever had to fix these?
 My rear shade won't pop back up well anymore.  It makes a broken spring kind of sound now.
Before you rip out the valence check a couple of things:  1)  When you roll the shade up, if you let it go too soon it will "unwind" an extra turn or two.  After a while the spring inside the shade roller gets unwound and needs to be rewound.  2) The roller will release off of one end bracket (it "stabs" into a hole in the other bracket).  Roll the blind up and then check for the slotted bracket (usually it's at the left side, but not always).  Turn the roller gently until the "nib" of the roller hits the open part of the bracket and lift that end out of the bracket; then the other end will release by pulling slightly to the side away from the other (unslotted) bracket.  3) Take a pair of pliers and wind up the spring by turning the flat end of the roller (the one that fits the slotted bracket).  It might take about ten turns or more--you can feel the tension build up if the spring is o.k.  4)  Put the shade back in the brackets by fitting the "nib" end in the round holed bracket first, then turn the flat "nib" end until it re-engages in the slotted bracket.  If the tension doesn't build up in the spring, then you have to go get a new roller onto which you can restaple the original shade from your rig.  Good Luck.  John Boles