Skip to main content
Topic: Flat Screen TV vs Original TV in 2002 26' (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
Flat Screen TV vs Original TV in 2002 26'
Yahoo Message Number: 117752
Hi all:
 My husband and I have a difference in opinion regarding replacing the original TV in our 2002 26' MB.
 He was going to automatically change it out because we have a flat screen from our 22' LD that he removed before selling.
 However, I did not like the fact the flat screen TV when mounted on an arm was hard to see at times. You have to have it tilted just right to see it from different angles clearly.   Now with the TV that is already in our 26' I noticed on a recent trip I could clearly see from any position and I really liked that.
 My husband said the flat screen is much lighter and uses less power. I have yet to be convinced that I want to replace it just for that reason. Also, we will have to mess around with the empty cabinet space left behind and what to do with it.
 Has anyone replaced their original TV and do you find the flat screen you have to mess around with it each time you sit down in a different position/space?

Not quite convinced in Oregon

Sherry

Re: Flat Screen TV vs Original TV in 2002 26'
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 117755
I bought a Vizio VX240M, 35 watts, and we can see good from any angle. As to the space
2000 TK
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 117756
It depends greatly on what type of flat screen TV you have.  Typically, a plasma TV will have a greater viewing angle than an LCD.  The downside to plasma is that it needs a darker room to view it in.  Newer LCD's have about the same viewing angle as plasma's.  The latest trend in TV's is an LCD screen with LED backlighting.  LCD's also consume less power than plasma's.

Put the flat screen in the same space as the CRT if it fits.  That takes care of the hole problem.

Dick

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 117760
On 10/25/2010 1:49 PM, ss.twilight wrote:

Has anyone replaced their original TV and do you find the flat screen you have to mess around with it each time you sit down in a different position/space?

Not all flat screen TVs have that problem.  We had one in our camper with that problem...couldn't see the picture unless you were looking just about straight on.  We replaced it with a better flat screen TV that doesn't have that problem.  That's not the reason we replaced it though...we went from SD programming to HD programming, and while the TV that came in the camper was an HD TV, it didn't have an HDMI port, making it much more difficult to hookup (and beyond our limited electronic capabilities to figure out).

You need to go to a Best Buy or other store that sells lots of flat screen TVs and walk around the TVs viewing them from all angles to find one that doesn't have that problem.

Linda Hylton http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 117761
I replaced the original TV in my 2003 with a 22" Vizio Razor LED.  In runs directly on 12v and consumes ~25 watts.  I power it with a cable from Radio Shack that plugs into the existing 12v outlet.
 This model was carried at my local Sams Club, which gave me a chance to look at it from different angles.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod1150028&navAction=

I mounted the TV on this arm: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032H6IA4/ref=wms_ohs_product

The TV itself it too big to fit flush in the old opening without blocking the cabinet door next to it.  For storage or while traveling, I rotate it 90 degrees, rest the edge on the bottom of the old tv cabinet, and secure it with 2" wide velcro luggage straps from Home Depot (screwed to each side of the cabinet).
 The swivel arm gives plenty of options for viewing angles.  We have no problems sitting or laying in bed, from the couch on either side (or both at the same time).
 Behind the TV, I have a WDTV media player which also runs on 12v and consumes about 6 watts.  I can have a few movies on a thumb drive, or hundreds on a portable hard drive.
 http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-WDTV-Media-Player/dp/tech-data/B003O85A96/ref=de_a_smtd

The 22" LED TV is much larger and nicer to watch than the original TV.  It also consumes less power.  I made minimal modifications to the TV cabinet and none to the original wiring.  If needed, I could return the original TV to the coach and no one would know the difference.

Rich '03 MB

--- In lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com, "ss.twilight"
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2003 MB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 117800
Thanks everyone for your advise on the TV it gives us some very good ideas!!!!!!!

Sherry 2002 26' MB