Skip to main content
Topic: Ciao Baby is back from Newfoundland & Labrador! (Read 11 times) previous topic - next topic
Ciao Baby is back from Newfoundland & Labrador!
Yahoo Message Number: 117738
Hey Dear Friends!

The kids and I are back from our summer adventure from Texas to Newfoundland and Labrador.  We had a marvelous time, of course, in Ciao Baby!  She did great with only an alternator replacement in KY and one flat tire.  That was my first flat tire!

Can you believe that those tires, which I bought on when I got Ciao in May 2007, had 60,000 miles of TERRIBLE roads, from 1000 miles of the dirt Dempster Highway to awful roads to Nicaragua and back - without one single flat?

That is, until I pulled off the road to let cars pass on the Cabot Trail headed to Highlands NP and then pulled back on too fast/bad angle/rough edge (all the above) and SHHHWWWOOSH!  You could hear it!  Bad.  Inside passenger side rear dually (ugh!)  And we were 134 km from Sydney, NS (where we'd just come from), from which the tire repair guy had to come - I paid for every one of those kilometers too.  Was glad to have a spare tire on board.

So Ciao got 6 new shoes in CT on our way home (ordered ahead) and she is happy, happy!

I put our summer blog here: http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/70450/summary

which I stored as a Link under:

Links > Destinations - Camping - Travel tips > 1- Places to GO & Things to DO > *Canada > Blogs

(Check the Links for easy ideas from others' trips)

Newfoundland is just as WONDERFUL as Mike Coachman said and I too cannot recommend it highly enough.  We also loved Toronto and Quebec City, with Ottawa and Montreal also delightful.  I thought New Brunswick was just as lovely as Nova Scotia.  Nova Scotia just ended their unfriendly policy on RV overnighting this summer, which is good.

Newfoundland LOVES motorhomes and the people are awesome.  You need AT LEAST 2 weeks to drive Newfoundland- it is really big!  Take longer though.

Ned flew into Halifax, NS and we toured for a week, getting to participate in the Shediac, NB International Lobster Festival, where I got 3 free lobsters by participating in the Lobster Eating Contest!  I thought about Marti & Charlie, LD friends in Seattle and how they would do it, so they gave me courage.  My hands were a bit cut up from ripping those lobsters apart, but it was worth it!  We also got to the Highlands Festival in Antagonism, NS and all over NS.  Great fun!

Labrador was delightful.  Do book a ROUND-trip ferry reservation before you just hop your motorhome onto the first ferry to Labrador, unless you have unlimited time (ahem!).  They just opened a "road" (think of Dempster Hwy poor dirt quality) from Happy Valley-Goose Bay to the port Blanc Sablon (technically in Quebec, but it's the Labrador ferry port to NFL), which makes for over-demand on that ferry.

And my friend, Evelyn, had to wait 12 days to get off Newfoundland by ferry because July/August get busy -so book ahead.

It would be a wise plan to just get to Newfoundland as fast as you can for the summer and then just spend the whole summer there until the cold makes you leave (end of August? Sept?).  Little heaven on earth!  Cod tongues, backapples (berries), whale watching, icebergs, fruit wines, lobster, seafood every day, etc.  Neat-o!

Well, I've missed you guys!  I've been doing The Great Purge around here after reading about minimalism.  www.missminimalist.com
http://www.missminimalist.com/>   After you RV for awhile, you realize how much stuff you just don't need!  And we pay a price for every bit of stuff we keep.  Ned is very happy he is both beautiful and useful!  Haha!

I'm excited a refurbished ScanSnap scanner is coming this week to help me create a paperless office- no more files!  This CAN be RV related b/c you know all those manuals you're likely storing, like for your camera, computer, etc?  Well you can easily find all those online from the manufacturer's website, save the .pdf file, and ditch the fat manual.  And we can scan medical histories, tax documents, personal mementos, and digitize all our pictures.  And the more things we get rid of, the faster we'll be ready to fulltime in only about 20 years after kids' college.  See, I have a plan. :-)

It sounds like the Balloon Fiesta folks had blast with a record turnout this year!  Something like 40 rigs or so participating- Linda Leach did a knockdown great job leading it with Lisa's famous T-shirts a hit.  While I had fun at a NH school reunion, I still feel sorry for myself missing the Fiesta fun.  But I am REALLY looking forward to going next year!

Hugs to you all!

Tessa in TX

'92 MB - Ciao Baby!

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Ciao Baby is back from Newfoundland & Labrador!
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 117739
We are glad you enjoyed your trip to Newfoundland and discovered all they have to offer. You are right, one can spend an entire summer (July & August) there and still not see it all. That is why we have gone back so often in the last 26-years.

Mike & Elizabeth

Newfoundland is just as WONDERFUL as Mike Coachman said and I too cannot recommend it highly enough. We also loved Toronto and Quebec City, with Ottawa and Montreal also delightful. I thought New Brunswick was just as lovely as Nova Scotia. Nova Scotia just ended their unfriendly policy on RV overnighting this summer, which is good.

2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 117742
Tessa,

Thanks for the update on your travels!
 Brenda and I spent about a month in Newfoundland and Labrador mostly in August and first week of September.  It was all after you left there.  We'll have to go back there to see more of it.  We agree fully that the people there are the best.
 We did not tow a car and appreciated Mike Coachman and his wife driving us around some of the narrow streets of St. Johns's area.  Also Mike marked up a map of "must see" places that were too numerous to see.  There is so much there!
 How did your fridge do in the ferry crossing from Argentia, NL.  It's a long haul w/o propane or shore power!  We travel with a dog that was left in the rig during the ferry crossings, so we used the Port aux Basques, NL to North Sydney, NS ferry both ways.

Alex Rutchka, SE #4 '05 MB

Ciao Baby is back from Newfoundland & Labrador!
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 117744
Tessa, Elizabeth & I got quite a good laugh about your writing 'Antagonism' instead of Antigonish.

We have gained many friends all across Newfoundland throughout the years. Our best friends and neighbors are in Portugal Cove, which is near St. John's. We have a summer home there on the cliffs above Conception Bay where we can look down on the car ferry passing to Bell Island. It is a spectacular location that we bought in 2005 and have enjoyed going there both summer and Christmas time to be with our local friends. Our house will soon be on the market with ReMax.
In answer to your question, one could spend a month or more on the Avalon Peninsula alone as there are so many historic and geologically interesting places there. Fishing is great during the season, and there is no better tasting cod than that which is still moving when it hits the frying pan. Bona Vista area is another great (historic) location. Fogo & Change Islands (via car ferry) is beautiful. The communities all along the northern shore (including Coachman's Cove on the Baie Verte Peninsula) are great to visit in early July when the icebergs are along this shore. As you know, anywhere along the west coast is spectacular. The Bay of Islands west of Corner Brook and especially Bottle Cove is beautiful. The Blow Me Down Mountains there usually have remaining snow well into July. Something we have yet to do is take the passenger ferry to St. Pierre (part of France - not Canada and use Euros as currency) and spend a weekend. It is off the south coast.
Anyway, these are some of the highlights and I am sure you will return again. It is that kind of place.
If you ever get in the Tampa area, give us a call and we could meet up.
Safe travels, Mike & Elizabeth
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Re: Ferries to/from Newfoundland & Labrador
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 117750
The ferries to NL can be a hassle.
 Before our trip to NL, I had asked Mike Coachman about the lead time required for ferry reservations.  Brenda and I wanted a daytime crossing on the largest and fasted ship which was the MV Atlantic Vision.  We wanted to minimize the stress on the dog that was to be left alone in the rig. Mike said that in his experience 3 days or so was sufficient.   Not many days later, Mike emailed me that the reservation backlog became 7 days and he was touring Nova Scotia waiting for the next available spot on the ferry from North Sydney, NS to Port aux Basques, NL.  While still at home in NC, we made our reservation 10 days ahead of time.
 The ferry was only a couple hours late leaving NS and sailed to NL in only 4 hours.
 The return was something else.  We booked a ferry slot 5 days early.  I had been monitoring the ferry operator Marine Atlantic website reservation system to be sure we'd be OK with our usual jello plans.  In practice, the Sunday noon departure on the MV Atlantic Vision transformed into a Monday 5:00 AM departure on the MV Caribou which took 6 hours to get to NS.  There was a sequence of robot phone calls and emails with progressive postponement messages.  To be fair, Hurricane Earl had just played havoc with marine traffic and Marine Atlantic was playing "catch-up".  One of the things they do is consolidate adjoining ferry departures.  The MV Atlantic Vision had arrived later and was still in port when we sailed out of Port aux Basques.
 But, for those of you thinking of NL next year, help is on the way!  There are two new vessels entering the NS to NL service - the MV Blue Puttees (nickname of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment) and the MV Highlanders (for the NS Highlanders).  The old and smaller vessels, the MV Caribou and MV Joseph and Clara Smallwood, will be decommissioned. (Joe and Clara of the Southeast LD group, having seen the later vessel, will be saddened by this. :) )
 Given the modernization and capacity improvement of the ferry system, things should be much improved in 2011.  So, be sure to monitor the Marine Atlantic website when you do your near term planning.
 Incidentally, the crossing cost for for 2 seniors and a 27' rig was $210.37 Canadian each way.

Re: Ferries to/from Newfoundland & Labrador
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 117753
It makes good sense to stay as long as possible in Newfoundland to make the ferry cost worthwhile. You will never run out of places to see and things to do there.

Mike

Incidentally, the crossing cost for for 2 seniors and a 27' rig was $210.37 Canadian each way.

2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 117757
I'm glad to read several Newfoundland notes.  Thanks for sharing.

I want to chat about Lazy Daze and Newfoundland.  We spent a month there

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 117762
John, There is only one fly in the ointment of your plan. The weather! Winter usually last until late May and sometimes through June. They call it RDF days (rain, drizzle, fog)  which are also cold but not usually freezing. We have arrived there in June and the whole month could be beautiful or it could be RDF! Depending on the year.
RV storage would probably not be any problem, especially in the St.
John's area which has an international airport. Continental Airlines flies there from Newark NJ I believe daily. Our daughter flew from Denver to Newark, then to St. John's and back a year ago. It is a full day of flying each way and have your passport for the return (same for driving back).
Legal? Canadian customs does not track your travel routes. We sold our Born Free there and returned home in the toad last year. When entering Canada, Customs only wants to know where & how long you will be traveling.
In 1999, Elizabeth & I left Florida in early May, drove our Beaver to Littleton, CO to visit with her mother, then turned northeast going to Newfoundland for the summer, then returning to Littleton in the fall (fall colors the entire way!), then back to Florida in November.
18,000-miles round trip with most all the driving on the back roads in both countries. What a grand trip! Is your idea nutty? I think not. Just remember it gets cold enough & long enough there to freeze salt water several feet thick on the ocean and in the bays, so have your coach well winterized. Some of the RV dealers there would be helpful.
Mike
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 117766
Tessa, you are too funny! You have such a zest for life. I love it. So glad we somehow provided you with courage to chomp on those lobsters! Our next crazy act you can follow is that we've signed up to be clowns in the downtown Seattle Macy's Holiday Parade the day after Thanksgiving. Complete with costumes and professional makeup. Hope it doesn't rain!

BUT before that we fly down to Ontario, CA on November 4th to place our order for our 2011 blue midbath!!  I'll report back to all on how our ordering process goes and what options we finally decide on.

Happy Travels!

Marti and Charlie in very windy Seattle

***** Ned flew into Halifax, NS and we toured for a week, getting to participate in the Shediac, NB International Lobster Festival, where I got 3 free lobsters by participating in the Lobster Eating Contest! I thought about Marti & Charlie, LD friends in Seattle and how they would do it, so they gave me courage. My hands were a bit cut up from ripping those lobsters apart, but it was worth it!

Marti
2011 Blue MB
Seattle

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 117775
I think the store it over the winter idea is fabulous. They might even have indoor heated storage areas that you can drive into. I went to NL this summer, too, but not in a motorhome. It is certainly worth as much time as you can give it.
 However, are you really sure you wouldn't be wanting to use your mortorhome in the winter at home? That would be the only hang up for me.

Re: Ciao Baby is back from Newfoundland & Labrador! => Paperless
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 117777
Hi Tessa,
 Your adventures are really so amazing.  Glad you had fun.  We live our vicarious RV lives through your adventures, but have fun planning
Steven & Carol Crisp -- 2000 26.5' Blue Mid-Bath named Thistle Dew Too
Our RV Motto:  "No place to be ... and all day to get there"
2024 Adventure: The Great Eclipse Escapade!  HI(Air),NV,AZ,NM,Mason,TX(Totality!) ...

John's RV Winter Storage in Newfoundland idea (was Re: Ciao Baby is
Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 117783
--- John wrote: >

I agree- brilliant plan, John!  Nutty is Marti and Charlie in those clown costumes in the Macy's Day parade!  (heehee!  I love it!  You guys are inspirational).  John, your plan is awesome.
 I looked up a few details for you and it got me thinking.  Hope this helps:

Store RV over the winter in NFL- great idea!
 Flights from NFL to Denver:  http://www.farecompare.com/flights/Denver-DEN/Canada-CA/citycountry.html or http://tinyurl.com/2a4cg4l

Airline Market

Denver to St Johns Denver to Gander Denver to Deer Lake Denver to Wabush Denver to Goose Bay (Labrador) •   There are 5 connecting cities from Denver, CO to Newfoundland.
•   The most popular destination from Denver, CO is Salt Lake International.
•   The earliest flight from Denver, CO leaves at 0:15 am.
•   Halifax, NS has the most direct flights to Newfoundland.
•   There are 9 carriers flying into Newfoundland.
•   Toronto, ON is the most popular connecting city from Denver, CO to Newfoundland.

Quick note to check on:  Can you buy a roundtrip airline ticket with an open end date?  $976 round-trip/ (Round-trip is useful if have Frequent Flier or rewards points you can use)
 If not, 1-way tickets run about $537.  Shortest duration trip is 8.5 hours with Newark the shortest route, longer routes through Toronto.
 Lookie here:  http://www.stjohnscarstorage.com/  Indoor storage for 6-months as $150 a month.  Yes!

Looked at the storage place's address on Bing Maps: St. John's Airport to storage:  2.3 miles (6 minutes) Then to Pippy Park RV Campground:  3.6 miles (9 minutes) Total driving time from airport to RV storage to campground:  15 minutes!  Yes!
 RV dealers in NFL:  http://www.islanderrv.com/viewpage2.php?content=10  (big one!)
 At the very least, the second summer, you could pick it up and drive west, exploring the rest of the Maritimes: NS, NB, PEI, Quebec, Ontario, etc as you mentioned.
 I think your plan is also brilliant for Alaska, which is so long to get to.
 Another idea:  Herb & Lolo flew to Alaska from their East Coast home and just rented an RV there as they were on limited timing.  But that can get too pricey and more fun to use own rig.
 In fact, I was going to store Ciao in Amsterdam for 9 months and ship her back after a second summer of touring (instead we did the RV-exchange).
 I have been thinking lately of storing Ciao on a nearby lake in a campground, resulting in our own waterfront vacation home.  You have to store it somewhere if it cannot be stored at your house, right?
 Who knew an RV could be so useful?  Not just useful for hurricane evacuations!

Other ideas: Store it anywhere near where you like to vacation (Disney!) and use another vehicle to run back and forth (like a Prius) or fly in
 Trade LD's with someone who lives locally in the place you wish to vacation.  An LD-Only swap!

Hope that helps! Tessa in TX

Re: Ciao Baby is back from Newfoundland & Labrador! => Paperless
Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 117784
Steve and Carol!  Great to hear from you and hope you're enjoying Germany!  (We had so much fun with you!)
 I got the little brother of your scanner, the S300 as it is mobile (i.e. perfect for RV travel).  The $122 delivered price for the refurbished unit also played a part in that decision.  :)  Hope it works.
 It just arrived last night (so exciting!!!) so I'm now going to play with it.  Will report back on all the RV-related digitizing I can get done with it (and more, you can be sure :)
 For backup I got a Seagate 500 gig portable hard drive (Walmart $80) and also signed up for Carbonite (1-year, $50, cloud coverage in the background with constant sync), so I'm ready for shredding those docs and pictures (courage, courage..)
 I'm thrilled to hear you were able to go paperless.  All tips appreciated!

How is Ali doing? Is she still in Hawaii?
 Great to hear from you- any timeframe for heading back to the States?

Tessa in TX (90 degrees today-it's almost November for gosh sake!)

Re: Backups to the internet
Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 117785
"I signed up for Carbonite (1-year, $50, cloud coverage in the background with constant sync)"
 Tessa, have you considered the effect this will have on your bandwidth usage when traveling? If you're on a Verizon 5GB-per-month data plan, as most of us are, having the Carbonite utility constantly sending copies of your updated files to an internet-based server could add up to a huge additional drain on your already limited available bandwidth.
 Having once received a $1,500 bill from Verizon when I overran my five gigs, I'm all too aware of what can happen if you don't watch your usage like a hawk. Do you have a utility that allows you to monitor your bandwidth usage in real time? I use Net Monitor for Mac OS X, and I imagine there are similar utilities for Windows. I wouldn't mess with a service like Carbonite unless I could see exactly how many megabytes it was chewing up every day.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 117786
On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 16:23:06 -0000, "Andy Baird" andybaird@...> wrote:

Tessa, have you considered the effect this will have on your bandwidth usage when traveling? If you're on a Verizon 5GB-per-month data plan, as most of us are, having the Carbonite utility constantly sending copies of your updated files to an internet-based server could add up to a huge additional drain on your already limited available bandwidth.
We keep our backup turned off until we can access someone else's on ramp to the web. ie a library, which New Mexico has in abundance.
 Tessa and I have both seen Verizon bills for using over 5GB. There is no warning when using the service via a router. We log on to our account every few days to see how we are doing,

Also, we have to tell our friends not to send us large attachments.
This means we have lost some "friends" as they think by our not wanting to get recycled web junk we don't like them. It seems to be lost on them that we would very much like to hear about them, but staying in touch does not mean forwarding all the junk they get.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 117787
"...I use Net Monitor for Mac OS X, and I imagine there are similar utilities for Windows. I wouldn't mess with a service like Carbonite unless I could see exactly how many megabytes it was chewing up every day."

Andy, do you have any faith in the bandwidth usage report that Vzn gives you when you first launch the broadband connection - the one that says you have used X amt of mb since your statement date?

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 117788
On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 17:15:08 -0000, "chorst_2000" chorst_2000@...> wrote:

Andy, do you have any faith in the bandwidth usage report that Vzn gives you when you first launch the broadband connection - the one that says you have used X amt of mb since your statement date?

Chris
Not Andy, but they are accurate to within 24 hours.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

John's RV Winter Storage in Newfoundland idea (was Re: Ciao Baby is
Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 117791

--- John wrote:

I agree- brilliant plan, John!
Thanks for the encouragement.  I have more thinking to do, but it's nice to hear that I'm not on a fool's errand.
 We have thought a little about being Truck-less for half a year.  Lots of more discussion to come, and doing without Truck for a while is part of the cost.
 Mike's weather warning reminds me that our first time to the Rock was by rental some decades ago.  Early June if I remember correctly, and a couple places were still closed.  This trip-plan is the only outing for our season, we'll try to hit the right months.

Maybe even store Truck on the mainland (New Brunswick maybe)?  Does Summer arrive a lot quicker there?  Or PEI?  That would save *most* of the miles and would be good because we'd get an extra ferry ride.

Here's a big concern that I haven't figured out:  immigration and border control in both countries.

Can a California licensed vehicle be left behind in Canada?  Every time we visit Canada the officer wants to know when we're leaving.
What will she do if I come to the airport saying "I don't have round-trip air but my truck is parked in the barn and I promise I'll go home soon."

Any suggestions about how to get in front of this?

John

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 117795
You are both so right!  Don, did you read about our experience with Verizon on our blog?  The kids had apparently been watching TV using the router and one month's Verizon bill was over $1000!!
 It's a good thing they were far from dear Ned's hands or he might have strangled them! "We didn't download anything, we just watched it on the net."  I can still hear Ned yelling, "The net?!  The net?!  What is the net?! It's still bandwidth!"  (whatever that is... what language is that anyway?) Fortunately, he sweet-talked Verizon to reduce the bill to close to normal. You can bet the kids' don't watch TV shows anymore on the road.
 Anyway, do watch your usage because Don is right that the little Verizon meter does not show up for people who use routers for multiple computers.
 It's for my home computer, Andy, not my laptop.  You can only do one computer for Carbonite.  I can transfer all the scanned files I'd like to my laptop when I'm traveling.  That is something to think about though for fulltiming, making sure my backups don't use bandwidth.  Good point.

Tessa, taking a brief break from my scanning!

--- , Delta Mike  wrote:

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 117798
"do you have any faith in the bandwidth usage report that Vzn gives you when you first launch the broadband connection?"
 None. Unlike Mike, I've found those reports to be typically at least two days out of date, and in some cases up to five days out of date. They are all but worthless, as far as I'm concerned. That's why I use Net Monitor:
 http://homepage.mac.com/rominar/net.html

It gives me an absolutely accurate, up to the second readout of accumulated bandwidth usage. It also gives me a running display of data uploads and downloads, which I leave open on my desktop at all times. I can see at a glance how much bandwidth a given web page or file download chews up.
 I rely on Net Monitor to keep a close watch on usage, because I've learned from painful experience that Verizon's numbers just can't be trusted.

Andy Baird

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 117801
Hi Andy

Ok, I'll admit it. I'm a computer moron. But if a person is connecting to the internet via WiFi, via a router, and other devices use some of your bandwidth from that same router, how can Net Monitor tell you total accumulated bandwidth usage of all devices?

Tom Johnston, Red 2000 TK, Whidbey Island WA, cold and crappy

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 117802
On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:21 AM, MIKE COACHMAN31 mikecoachman31@...>wrote:

We are glad you enjoyed your trip to Newfoundland and discovered all they have to offer. You are right, one can spend an entire summer (July & August) there and still not see it all. That is why we have gone back so often in the last 26-years.

Mike & Elizabeth
When I was there in the 60's if you missed the 4th of July you missed summer! Garry

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 117803
"if a person is connecting to the internet via WiFi, via a router, and other devices use some of your bandwidth from that same router, how can Net Monitor tell you total accumulated bandwidth usage of all devices?"
 It can't. By definition, only the router can know the total bandwidth usage in that case. Software such as Net Monitor running on one device that shares a connection can only know what passes through that device.
 In my case, I do use Wi-Fi routers. But about 95% of my internet usage is on the iMac that runs Net Monitor, so I don't worry about the small additional amount that comes from my iPod Touch.
 But if you're a couple who both have laptops and use significant amounts of bandwidth, you'd need to run Net Monitor (or equivalent Windows software) on each laptop and add the numbers together. There's no way around that, because again, only the router sees ALL the traffic. (Unless somebody knows how to interrogate the router. I'm not that geeky. ;-)

Andy Baird