Skip to main content
Topic: propane extend-a-stay and cat heater tap (Read 15 times) previous topic - next topic
propane extend-a-stay and cat heater tap
Yahoo Message Number: 117729
On mine, the copper propane line leading inside has a 90 downward turn which blocks the regulator from moving rearward, as would be required to get an extend-a-stay in front of the regulator. Also, I need to add a tee on the low pressure side for a catalytic heater.
 It seems the best solution would be to take the bend out of the propane line, move the regulator back, and get a tee in behind the regulator.
 Is it best to heat and straighten the copper line, or just replace it with a new one?

Regards, TS

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 117730
Hi TS

What model do you have?

I have installed both a tee in a low pressure line inside the coach for the cat heater, and a tee between the propane tank and the regulator in the propane compartment for using  a gas bbq outside. Mine is a TK model. If yours is a different model my installs are different from yours. If you want to contact me by PM I will be more than happy to answer any question you have.

Do you know how to work with copper tubing? I hadn't done anything like that before. What I did to learn how was to go to Ace Hardware and purchase a tubing cutter, a flairing tool, and a couple of feet of copper tubing. Then I went home and sat down in some comfortable spot and proceeded to make flairs. My first one was crappy but my fifth one was perfect. I then felt ready to undertake the project. When I finished I bubble checked each fitting and found bubbles from two of them. I retightened them and rechecked and ta-dah, no leaks. I periodically recheck (maybe once a year) all my copper tube fittings. I have never found a leak since the install.

BTW, be sure to get soft copper tubing. The hard straight stuff does not work. Also this type work absolutely, positively, must be done correctly, especially in the interior. If you are not completely confident in your ability to do this work, pay someone to do it. Personally, I have never been one to shy away from some task just because I don't know how to do it. That's the way we learn new stuff.

Tom Johnston, Whidbey Island, WA,  about 68 degrees today, no rain

On mine, the copper propane line leading inside has a 90 downward turn which blocks the regulator from moving rearward, as would be required to get an extend-a-stay in front of the regulator. Also, I need to add a tee on the low pressure side for a catalytic heater.
 It seems the best solution would be to take the bend out of the propane line, move the regulator back, and get a tee in behind the regulator.
 Is it best to heat and straighten the copper line, or just replace it with a new one?

Regards, TS
/

Re: propane extend-a-stay and cat heater tap
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 117731
It is a twin king. I assume the tubing is soft copper, don't know. I have done a little flaring, bending, and using compression fittings. I don't know if compression fittings are ok for this copper/propane/RV application.

With proper leak testing, it seems ok to go ahead with this.
 Another possibility is marine grade flexible hose; but I would still need to get the tube out of the way of the regulator move. I guess I could rotate it at the inside attach point.

Same old story, need it done, trying to minimize time, cost.

Re: propane extend-a-stay and cat heater tap
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 117732
"Is it best to heat and straighten the copper line, or just replace it with a new one?"

TS
 When installing extend-a-stays and outlets for cat heaters, it usually is easier and cleaner looking to custom fit new tubing. This assumes your ability to properly flare copper tubing.
Straightening the existing bent tube is likely to weaken it, even if annealed with a torch.
 Install a shut-off valve at the heater hose connection and be sure to check for leaks with a commercial leak detector.
http://www.rectorseal.com/index.php?site_id=1&product_id=93 > This product stays in place and will show slow leaks that take many hours to form a small bubble, something soapy water will not do.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 117745
Hi TS

OK, if you have a TK you can do your high pressure tee the same way I did mine if it suits you. I have sent you the step- by-step instructions by personal email.

Tom