Skip to main content
Topic: considering $1300 solar option on a new ld -any comments (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: considering $1300 solar option on a new ld -any comments
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 117700
 Sent: Saturday, October 23, 2010 9:03 AM
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Subject: [LD] considering $1300 solar option on a new ld -any comments

Check the archives. Lot's of info on this.
Short version: If you will be happy with the capacity of the factory system, won't be adding more panels later, and don't mind getting a little less value for the dollar, the factory offering is okay. Placement of panel/s will be sub-optimal and wiring size will be too small for a larger solar array.
You can get better, both in terms of value and a system more in tune with your needs, buying an aftermarket.

bumper
Yonder
Minden, NV

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 117702
My first question is, "Why do you want solar?"

Or, "What are your camping plans that lead you to want solar?" ___ best, paul "Thriving not surviving" Some once thought a million chimps would in time type great old works of literature Now that we have the Internet we know that not to be true.......

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 117782
...My first question is, "Why do you want solar?" Or, "What are your camping plans that lead you to want solar?"

Hi Paul, In just having Mike S. install a 3 unit AM Solar system to our Foretravel coach last week. Thought our needs for solar would be of interest to you.
 My need for solar is battery maintenance. Mainly wanting the reassurance the batteries are serviced when stopped while resting, shopping etc and not using the generator.
 On Starr our '07 LD had 2 AM solar panels which serviced her well for our needs. Her new owner is planning to add more to allow more dry camping.
 Paul if your considering solar for your Foretravel please email me personally and I will share more details regarding the install of AM solar - the best IMHO.

Virginia

'99 U320 40ft Foretravel

'06 Silverado, 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab