Skip to main content
Topic: New Mexico ideas (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
New Mexico ideas
Yahoo Message Number: 117642
Well. here I go again but your ideas were so perfect for CA and OR that my daughter has asked for help in NM.
 If you had three or four days to wander around NM where would you go? She's been to Bosque Del Apache and she's going there again on this trip. The northern part is getting a little chilly so I don't think she'll go above Socorro or maybe Albuquerque. She'll be wandering around southern AZ today and has to decide which way to go. She's never been north along the state line between AZ and NM or in the mountains near Silver City. Back roads are preferred and birding is her hobby. I think the VLA is on her agenda.
 So......  where would you go? Detailed trips with highways and turns can be punched into her GPS ;-) She also loves mountains and lakes! Maybe some kind soul can guide her from Willcox AZ.
 Her interests are pretty eclectic so any ideas will be appreciated ;-)

Thanks for your help.
Karen - at the Jersey Shore, wishing MTV and Snooki would go away!

Re: New Mexico ideas
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 117643
On Oct 20, 2010, at 8:11 AM, Karen wrote:

Well. here I go again but your ideas were so perfect for CA and OR that my daughter has asked for help in NM.\
Karen,
 You might suggest that your daughter head east to White Sands National Monument (just west of Alamogordo), Cloudcroft, Ruidoso, Lincoln (site of the Lincoln County War in the 1880s), etc. It's a beautiful area that should still be warm and have lots of fall color right now.
 I have occasionally posted links to Bernie's and my "Two for Art" photo-essays from our travels. The newest one is just out now, if anybody's interested. It shows photos and paintings of Arizona in bloom last spring and eastern New Mexico (both north and south) last summer. There are a few images from White Sands.

Here's the link if you or anybody else is interested:
 http://www.marthamarks.com/Two_for_Art/10_October.pdf

Martha in Santa Fe

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

New Mexico ideas
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 117644
Karen, Our favorite place in that area is Gila Cliff Dwellings Nat. Monument on Rt 15 north of Silver City. There is a dry camping camp site there.
Cliff dwellings are great! Silver City is interesting also.  The drive from the VLA down Rt. 12 to US 180 to Silver City is beautiful. There is enough to see between I-40 and I-10 west of I-25 to keep one busy for a month or more. Tell your daughter to have fun, Mike

2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 117646
Percha Dam is a birding place. Can't say much for the CG there, but there are all sorts of birds.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 117647
Karen, I highly recommend the Chiricahau National Monument south of Willcox.
http://www.nps.gov/chir/.  Small campground, so call ahead for availability.  This time of the year it fills on the weekend.
 On her way towards the VLA along NM Hwy. 180 the Catwalk near Glenwood and the ghost town of Mogollon via toad only.

Datil Well BLM is a nice stop a few miles west of the VLA.

Malcolm Blue02MB
2002 Mid Bath

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 117648
I she finds herself near Silver City, she might like the museum featuring Mimbres (prehistoric black-on-white) pottery at Western NM University.

John

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 117649
Quote from: jpwoodruff

" If she finds herself near Silver City, she might like the museum featuring Mimbres (prehistoric black-on-white) pottery at Western NM University."
 Thanks, John. If I were to post her travels in advance I might be tempted to say that Silver City is her next stop. But I wouldn't do that ;-)

Karen

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 117650
Quote from: bmwgt31995

" I highly recommend the Chiricahau National Monument south of Willcox."

That's where she is today ;-)
 I'm sending every message on to Jaimee and she's getting wonderful ideas. Unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, she didn't take the LD ;-). We did sincerely offer her our precious Ladybug and since she spent almost 7 months in her traveling around with us we know she can drive, park and set her up. This time she's in her car. She expected to be gone for about three weeks but once she hit the road, wanderlust set in and her weeks are turning into months. Motels and meals are costing her more than the extra gas she would have used in Ladybug. Good old hindsight ;-)

So.... she doesn't need to worry about the roads or a toad!

Karen

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 117651
Well. here I go again ... my daughter has asked for help in NM.

Karen - at the Jersey Shore, wishing MTV and Snooki would go away!
Karen
 A little known secret is the Pueblo of Zuni. Not only do they offer a much finer and delecate style of jewelery but one absoulutly has to find the guy who has the key to the church. On the walls of that church you will see the over-life-size paintings of Kachinas. The work was done by a set of brothers and the detail is stunning. Zuni is just south of Gallup.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 117652
White Sands, White Sands, White Sands!!!
 Silver City *Old Town* is definitely worth a stop, and I too endorse the Catwalk and Gila Cliff Dwellings, but tell her to be sure to watch the weather.  (One year over Easter, I got caught in a snowstorm on my way to the Cliff Dwellings!)
 If she's a chili lover, Hatch is a fun place to poke around in the southern part of the state, actually even if she isn't fond of chili!  If Jaime is headed east, Carlsbad Caverns is fascinating.  Unfortunately, the bats have already left for their Mexican wintering accommodations!  If she goes and if she enters through the "natural entrance," remind her to take lots of water.

Wishing her happy trails, Lorna Coarsegold http://uppity-woman.blogspot.com/ (Where Ladeze event photos have finally been uploaded!)
2003 RB

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 117658
Lorna Dunham  wrote: If she's a chili lover, Hatch is a fun place to poke around in the southern part of the state, actually even if she isn't fond of chili.
--- "Chile", Lorna, "chile", no "chili". Es "Chee-LAY", no es "chee-LEE". I'm SO disappointed! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 117659
If it hasn't closed for the winter ride the Cumbres and Toltec RR out of Chama.
In Taos eat at the Bent Street Deli on Bent Street.
In Santa Fe eat at Cafe Paris 2 block west of the square.
In Santa Fe stay at Trailer Ranch RV on Cerrillos Road.
Los Alamos was a dud but the drive from Los Alamos to the Jemez Pueblo was a great scenic drive if the Aspens are still yellow and orange.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 117662
"In Taos eat at the Bent Street Deli on Bent Street."

"In Santa Fe eat at Cafe Paris 2 block west of the square."

"In Santa Fe stay at Trailer Ranch RV on Cerrillos Road."
Well, one out of three ain't too bad...
 I agree with your suggestion of Trailer Ranch. I stay there any time I'm in Santa Fe. Within reasonable driving distance of the Plaza and if you don't have wheels there's public transportation across the street at the Holiday Inn.

As to your suggestions on eating places, next time try these:
 Los Potrillos on Cerrillos Road at Osage. This is genuine Mexican (not New Mexican Mexican). Martha Marks put me onto this one and I found it so good that after she and Berni took me to lunch there I returned for dinner and followed up with breakfast the next morning.
 In Taos if you haven't eaten at Michael's Kitchen you have missed a wonderful treat. It's even better than Orlando's.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 117664
"If it hasn't closed for the winter ride the Cumbres and Toltec RR out of Chama."

Unfortunately, the C&T's last scheduled trip was three days ago.
 By the way, the C&T isn't running trains out of Chama at present. Due to the June 2010 fire that damaged the Lobato trestle, passengers who buy tickets in Chama are being bused to Cumbres Pass, where they can take the train to Antonito, CO. This workaround is in place until state and federal sources come up with the money needed for repairs. According to the latest (10/13/2010) update from the line's management,
 "March 1, 2011 is the target date for letting a contract for installation of the girder spans, deck and track to complete the repair project. This project includes the cost of building a road from the highway over to the trestle site to move in a giant crane (rental cost of which may exceed $250,000) to place the spans. Projected cost of this phase is $920,000.
 "Though it is quite expensive, it should be completed in a matter of weeks once work starts – making it possible to have everything in place and ready to go by the planned opening date of May 28 next year.
 "We are in active communication with the two states and with federal sources in an effort to cover the $920,000 shortfall and hope to have it in place in time to bid the construction contract by the projected date."
 So with a lot of luck, they may be back to normal operation next spring. I certainly hope so! The trestle fire has had a devastating impact on Chama's economy: eleven businesses have closed so far this year--and Chama is a tiny town! On the Colorado end of the line, Antonito has been hurt as well. The Cumbres & Toltec is a real treasure--the longest and highest narrow-gauge railroad in the US. It's a shame to see the railroad crippled and two towns facing financial disaster.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 117665
On Oct 20, 2010, at 3:08 PM, jctaylor1941 wrote:

--- "Chile", Lorna, "chile", no "chili". Es "Chee-LAY", no es "chee-LEE". I'm SO disappointed! ;-)

Joan
Oh dear lord, I am SO embarrassed.  I'm as red as a chile (chee-LAY) pepper.  I may never be able to hold my head high in this town again!!
 NO, wait just a darn minute!  My spell checker shows it *both* ways.  Admittedly though, it's a spell checker that only speaks *English*!!!

Lorna
 http://uppity-woman.blogspot.com/
2003 RB

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 117667
On Oct 20, 2010, at 5:02 PM, lejest2003 wrote:

Los Potrillos on Cerrillos Road at Osage. This is genuine Mexican (not New Mexican Mexican). Martha Marks put me onto this one and I found it so good that after she and Berni took me to lunch there I returned for dinner and followed up with breakfast the next morning.
Steve, that's quite a recommendation. I'm glad you enjoyed Los Potrillos so much!
 Bernie and I have eaten our way through every Mexican restaurant in Santa Fe, and for our money, Los Potrillos and Mucho Gusto are at the very top of the list. You can't go wrong with either of them.

Martha in Santa Fe

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 117668

"Steve, that's quite a recommendation. I'm glad you enjoyed Los Potrillos so much! Bernie and I have eaten our way through every Mexican restaurant in Santa Fe, and for our money, Los Potrillos and Mucho Gusto are at the very top of the list. You can't go wrong with either of them."

Martha in Santa Fe
Well, there you go again Martha, you've got my curiosity up! I hope you will allow me to reciprocate by taking you and Berni to Mucho Gusto for lunch next time I'm in your fair city.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 117669
I recommend El Morro

http://www.nps.gov/elmo/

From Albuquerque, NM, or from the east: take Interstate 40 west to Grants. At exit 81, go south on Highway 53 for 42 miles to El Morro National Monument.

Does El Morro have a campground? Yes. The campground has nine sites which can accommodate small RV's and tents.
No RV hook-ups are available, but the campground has water spigots for campers to use. These spigots are turned off during the winter months. The campground fee is $5.00 per night when the water is on and free during the winter when the water is turned off.

Paso por aqui . . .A reliable waterhole hidden at the base of a sandstone bluff made El Morro (the headland) a popular campsite. Ancestral Puebloans and Spanish and American travelers carved over 2,000 signatures, dates, messages, and petroglyphs for hundreds of years. We invite you to make El Morro a stopping point during yourtravels.

El Morro National Monument's avian claim to fame is the White-throated Swift, which was described to science for the very first time here in 1851, by Dr. S.
W. Woodhouse of the Sitgreaves Expedition.

I don't know the GPS coordinates-maybe someone else does

lk

__
2018 24' Twin King (replacing 1987 22' TK)

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 117671
On Oct 20, 2010, at 10:38 PM, lejest2003 wrote:

Well, there you go again Martha, you've got my curiosity up! I hope you will allow me to reciprocate by taking you and Berni to Mucho Gusto for lunch next time I'm in your fair city.
Deal!!!

New Mexico..
Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 117670
If you daughter gets anywhere around Deming, and likes museums..the Museum in Deming is great...
I think I spent abut an hour just looking at the toys...

301 S Silver Ave Deming, NM 88030-3761 (575) 546-2382
 lots of pottery, weaving, "western" stuff...a whole room full of toys, mostly dolls...
we only had about 2 hours... I'm definitely going back.
Mary