Skip to main content
Topic: paint fiasco update (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
paint fiasco update
Yahoo Message Number: 114963
Well, well.....lots has happened,  but will try and keep this short! Progressive agent came and looked at rig, said it *might* be buff able, and wanted Affordable to have their paint shop to do a sample buff....took it in, both the owner and the paint shop guy looked at the damage, made an appt., to bring it in next day, 8am.
 Said to pick it up in 4-6 hrs...called @ 4pm, and was told to pick it up at 5pm.
 When I came to pick it up, I was confronted by one of their shop guys who flat out said IT WAS HARD WATER DAMAGE AND WAS THERE WHEN I BROUGHT IT IN for the AC gasket repair. That, yes, the cab front was indeed damaged there, but not the rest of the exact same damage done on the other half of the rig.
 I was......very very angry...we argued for a bit, but he was adamant that it wasn't their fault. Only the small front strip on the hood was buffed out, but I could still see the lines from the product they used running thru the red. So much for letting the offending co. make good!
 next stop Progressive...the on-site claims adjuster was flabbergasted that they tried to foist the damage off on to me. So off to an approved RV paint shop of theirs--guy took one look and said there was no way it was hard water damage --[of course!!!]...and that buffing 12 yr. old polyurethane enamel isn't an option...it will have to be repainted in total.

Now my ins. is going after their ins., and I am heading to AZ mid Aug. to have Primer RV  in El Mirage attempt the repairs. I HAVE to be there for my Mom's 90th B DAY on the 29th...a big family party to plan and implement.
 Over the phone, was told they had just finished doing a blue LD!!  He is very familiar w/LDs, so good news there! From what I have found they have a good reputation, and their work is guaranteed w/Progressive so that's another good point.
 To say this is going to be VERY inconvenient is an understatement--I have to find someplace to live w/Junah for the duration and it's AZ and HOT...:-(
 My fulltimer's ins. has a $500 deductible [which they think they will get back from the other ins. co.], $750 for someplace to live, no car rental covered...and of course, having to unload the rig, and live out of a suitcase for about three weeks...
 All of the incidental expenses aren't covered by my ins., --if i want to pursue reimbursement, it's small claims crt.
 Sigh--I just want to be done with this, and get back to all my plans for travel...Ladeze GTG, Balloon festival, back to SD...family in Indiana and Kansas...this is SUCH a drag to deal with!

Jerks.

Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "Kooch" our little red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

Re: paint fiasco update
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 114964
Sounds like you may get this resolved after all.

If you don't mind, I would like to know what Primer RV is going to charge to repaint your coach.

I asked Lazy Daze and they wanted $10, 000.

Dick

Re: Gini's paint fiasco update
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 127882
I know this is a year-and-a-half-old thread, but I'm curious--Gini, what was the end result of your repainting experience? Did Primer RV in El Mirage do a good job? Did Progressive manage to collect from the RV shop that did the damage to your coach? (For those who missed the original discussion, I'm referring to message #114344 and followups.)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 127889
What timing you have Andy!!

...well, the whole saga was on-going til just this past month. Like you, I had to deal with my Mother's passing this fall. Leading up to that, was the whole project of getting here, buying a house, moving her in and getting things set up to properly take care of her -[24 hr. a day job].

House, furniture, car, etc...took til Aug., then she fell and broke her hip and passed away in Oct. I did not have time to take care of my poor Rv til November.

Took her down to Premeir Coachworks, and got hold of Progressive.
Unfortunately for me, the person I had been dealing with this whole time had quit. Things said on the phone, of which i had no proof of, came back to bite me in the...uh..rear.

The adjuster came into the scene 'cold', with the notes and reports that were on file. The people who made the mistake of buffing out the paint damage [or trying to at any rate] were on the hook to do the follow up at their expense. To say they did not want to be responsible for re-painting the whole rig--which it needed--is an under statement.
 Without the original agent, it was my word against theirs as to what had been agreed upon. They did not want to take responsibility for the passenger side deterioration, from being buffed at their first attempt to repair the damage. After going round and round and fighting their pronouncements that the damage was to be expected in a 12 yr. old rig--even with pics of what it looked like before the damage..them saying one thing to the adjustor, and denying what *I* was telling them straight out, I finally agreed to a compromise. They were really going to fight re-painting even half the rig, and then what would it have looked like, half-painted?
 There is a new product that is a polymer ten stage coating that forms a new 'skin' over the old paint. They did the whole rig, fixed a damaged spot on a rear under panel from someone backing into it with a tow ball [sigh]....and will do a first rate total wax job in 6 mo.

The finished product looks pretty good--I was asked if I had just gotten it painted. However , this will only last a couple of years, and will need re-doing then to retain the 'look'. Also, much to my frustration, I can still see the original damaged areas under the shiny new finish on the driver's side....

They were NOT going to spring for a whole new paint job, and they have promised to re-do the finish at cost when due again. If kept well-waxed, it may last a lot longer than a couple of years. The base cost is between $400 and $600, and that's more or less what it cost me to have it professionally waxed and detailed soooo...I figured it was an OK compromise under the circumstances.
 To tell the truth I just didn't have the fight in me to go toe to toe with them. I'm still having a hard time dealing with this past year...it has been beyond hard.

Now, I just got the RV back this afternoon, shiny, serviced, and ready to re-pack ...hoping to get to Q. before it's too late. Still don't know what I'm going to do with an entire household here in AZ., but I know for sure I'm getting out of this place for the summer!! W_A_Y_ too hot for Junah and I to live thru again!
 Andy I read your own journey, and I was so sympathetic with what you went thru. My Mother was 91, and while I knew it couldn't go on forever, still, this is so much harder than i expected. Hugs...

Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "CHERRYOTTE" our litte red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 127891
Gini, I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out quite as well as hoped. I can certainly understand why you ran out of energy to fight this battle, with so many more important matters facing you. But it sounds as if your "Cherryotte" is looking pretty good now, so hopefully you can start actually enjoying it! :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"