Skip to main content
Topic: Cab radio replacement (Read 13 times) previous topic - next topic
Cab radio replacement
Yahoo Message Number: 114920
It finally cooled down a bit here in New England yesterday, so I tackled the task of replacing the cab radio in our '05 RB.  After a year, we were tired of having to use the remote to operate the radio, even when driving.
Despite many attempts at cleaning the contacts on the back of the face-plate, most functions could be controlled only with the remote.

I replaced it with a Kenwood KDC-MP345U, a good mix of features and price.
The installation was fairly simple, although I had to devise a set of removal tools for the old Sony.  I also discovered that LD does not use the car radio standard color codes for wiring, so while I had them exposed, I jotted their colors down and matched them to the standard colors/functions.

I took some pictures during the process and wrote up a few things I learned along the way, including the wiring colors.  You can find them at:

www.wxtoad.com http://www.wxtoad.com/>

It came out great, and although I didn't change out the speakers, I think this more powerful radio sounds better than its predecessor.

Toad

'05 RB,  NE-13

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Cab radio replacement
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 115087
Thanks for posting the wiring colors.  I replaced the factory speakers and developed a speaker wire short along the way.  Your chart made it easier to track things down.

Thanks

Rich '03 MB
2003 MB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 115395
Hello LDers  I have been following the thread on replacing the cab radio.  I have a 2003 MB with a Sony CDX_CA400.  According to the manual no special tools are required to remove the radio, only a screwdriver to release the side clips and the radio  is supposed to slide out.  I release the clips but it does not slide out.  I'm hoping someone else has replaced this model and can give me an idea as to what else might be holding the radio in place.  I have been getting along with this radio for six years and these posts motivated me to make the change.  Any advice would be very much appreciated.  Doug

__

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 115398
Hello LDers  I have been following the thread on replacing the cab radio.  I have a 2003 MB with a Sony CDX_CA400.  According to the manual no special tools are required to remove the radio, only a screwdriver to release the side clips and the radio  is supposed to slide out.  I release the clips but it does not slide out.  I'm hoping someone else has replaced this model and can give me an idea as to what else might be holding the radio in place.  I have been getting along with this radio for six years and these posts motivated me to make the change.  Any advice would be very much appreciated.  Doug
Doug, just keep wriggling.  Ld uses the same sealant as on the roof to hold it in place.  It will break loose.
Joe Hamm-2003

__

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 115402
I remember that Sony radio removal as having been rather tricky on my 2003, and it wasn't the sealant that was the problem--it was where to shove the screwdriver and what exactly to do with it once I got it in. I fiddled and diddled and felt as if I were a burglar picking a particularly tough lock. This was four years ago, and I don't remember the details, but I think I ended up resorting to brute force to pry the damn thing out. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 115403
Doug, as I recall, there is a blank (black plastic) just above the radio that you can pop it out and then you can get a better view inside.
Joe Hamm-2003

__

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 115404
Remove the engine cover/dog house and you can see/reach the sealant.
 Incidentally, I know there are lots of reasons to replace the Sony head unit, but some people do it to get mp3 player input (or sat radio, or whatever).

You can add aux input with one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Radio-UniLink-Audio-Adapter-IPod-adapter-New-CD-/400060790237?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

and one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Audio-Cable-Splitter-1-Mini/dp/B00004Z5CP/ref=pd_cp_e_1

The cables can be added without removing the radio, and you can see a diagram showing where the cables go
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2003 MB

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 115412
__

Hello LDers,  I have been following the thread on replacing the cab radio.  I have a 2003 MB with a Sony CDX_CA400.
Well Andy suggested brute force and Joe suggested continued wriggling.  So I forcefully wiggled and that finally worked.  Thank you guys.  Now for the replacement.  What are the chances that the plug from the Sony would work in a new radio (Sony or other brand)?  And will any of the new radios fit in the bracket that the Sony was in?  Again thanks for your help with removal.  Doug

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 115413
"What are the chances that the plug from the Sony would work in a new radio (Sony or other brand)? And will any of the new radios fit in the bracket that the Sony was in?"
 These are questions that Crutchfield's support people can answer, if you tell them the model number of your old Sony radio. Call 800-319-8264 and they should be able to point you in the right direction.
 For what it's worth, one radio that looks like a cost-effective replacement is Sony's CDX-GT700HD, about $130 from either Crutchfield or Amazon.

Andy Baird

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 115438

__

Hello LDers,  I have been following the thread on replacing the cab radio.  I have a 2003 MB with a Sony CDX_CA400.
 Well Andy suggested brute force and Joe suggested continued wriggling.  So I forcefully wiggled and that finally worked.  Thank you guys.  Now for the replacement.  What are the chances that the plug from the Sony would work in a new radio (Sony or other brand)?  And will any of the new radios fit in the bracket that the Sony was in?  Again thanks for your help with removal.  Doug
Doug, my JVC plugged in to existing connector and I believe Andy had a pioneer that did as well from one of his earlier post.  You can see that LD replaced the Ford connector with a more universal one.  My radio came with its own mounting sleeve so it just fit right in.  I did use that leveler on the back of the Sony for the JVC so you may want keep it for now.  Once everything lined up I used sealer in the same places LD did.
Joe Hamm-2003

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 115453
Hey Toad, Great photos and explanation on your site.  I got my radio out, finally.  Can you explain why you couldn't just use the plug that went into your old Sony and plug it into your new Kenwood?  And if the Kenwood plug is different, do you know if a new Sony would allow using the existing LD plug?
Doug, don't let the plug be your determining factor.  If a adapter plug is required they are avalible at Best Buy and other sellers and installers.
Joe Hamm-2003

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 115458
Thanks, Doug.  Glad the explanation was useful.  As for the plugs on the rear - the Sony plug was very different from the Kenwood plug, so I had to cut off the Sony's and wire-in the Kenwood's.  If you're replacing with another Sony, the plug may well not need to be changed.  You might talk to the folks at Crutchfield Radio - I'll wager they can tell you that.
 Wouldn't you think that along with the standard DIN mounting system that they also would set a standard for the plug?  Think how easy replacing a radio would be then!

Good luck, Toad
 Hey Toad, Great photos and explanation on your site. I got my radio out, finally. Can you explain why you couldn't just use the plug that went into your old Sony and plug it into your new Kenwood? And if the Kenwood plug is different, do you know if a new Sony would allow using the existing LD plug? I do appreciate your "replacement pictures". They will help when I do install my new radio. Doug

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 115680
I replaced the original Sony radio in my '03 MB with a new Sony 540.  After reading the discussion here I was prepared for wiring issues, but was shocked to find that the wiring harness in the LD was identical the the supplied harness that came with the new radio, so I just plugged the original plug into the back of the new radio, and it worked fine, so reattached the frame and job done. This group discussion gave me the incentive to make the change, and those of you contemplating a new radio can feel encouraged that it ended up being an easy DIY project.  Hardest part was getting the original radio out because of the little dabs of glue LD uses, but in the end an easy project.  Doug

__

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 115682
On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 14:43:10 -0700 (PDT), Doug Berry wrote:

I replaced the original Sony radio in my '03 MB with a new Sony 540
I love new gadgets, but I can not see what I would get by replacing the Sony GT310 with a GT540.

The GT640 has: Front auxiliary input - so does the 310 MP3/WMA/AAC playback - so does the 310 USB 1-wire for iPhone - don't have an iPhone iPod  - don't have an iPad satellite radio and HD Radio™ ready - I have an XM that broadcasts to the Sony or I can connect it to front input.

So other than HD Radio, it seems I am as up to date as I will get.

Or am I missing something here???

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 115705
Here is a request to all of you Cab Radio Replacement folks!  I'd imagine that the Sonys that you are removing from your 2003 coaches will fit my 2000 SOB.  Looking at the Crutchfield website seems to bear this out.    Which one of you will make me the best deal (including shipping to zip 86314) on the Sony that you have removed from your LD including the 'spacer box' so that I can replace that lame Ford AM/FM/Cassette (remember those) that is in my 2000 E450 SOB?  I'd love to be able to play CD's without having to deal with that Memorex portable that plugs into the cassette slot!  Please email me off line at .  Thanks and may the best offer win!! To paraphrase the ads from government motors.

Glen

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 115738
Glen said "Which one of you will make me the best deal (including shipping to zip 86314) on the Sony that you have removed from your LD"

I bet you could have Andy's for next to nothing!  :-) Ken F in OR

'08 MB

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 115765
Could be, but I haven't heard from Andy, yet!

Glen w/2000 SOB looking for a Sony take-out radio and storage box to replace my huge Ford radio w/cassette.

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 115769
"Could be, but I haven't heard from Andy, yet!"
 My radio was smoked (literally) by a lightning bolt. It's yours for the cost of shipping, but I don't think it'll do you much good. ;-)

Andy
Andy Baird

Re: Cab radio replacement (A question for Wxtoad)
Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 115918
Hi
 First let me say your web site is a wealth of information. Thank you
 I purchased a Kenwood stereo from Crutchfield. The model is a KDC-HD545U. I removed the Panasonic that the factory installed and found the yellow constant power (used for memory) and the red switched power wires crimped together to one red wire that is connected the house battery. I see

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 115922
The problem is that the radio even when turned off will continue to draw power for the display and eventually drain the battery.

Ed, Although this is true, it make take quite some time before the batteries get depleted.  It depends on how much current it draws while off and how long you go before you plug in or drive (unless you have solar ;)  )
 This is why some have suggested to use a quality battery monitor to keep track of "What's on" when you think everything is off.  There have been numerous times when I see a 1.5 amp draw when I think all is off only to find out that I left a compartment light on. While dry camping, the last thing I do before I go to bed is check that gauge and it should be no more than 0.5 amps or so for the refer.
 A battery disconnect switch can prevent what the C-field tech is describing.  You most likely already have a propane leak detector pulling a small amount of current.  In my old RV, on a standard 12 volt group 27 battery, mine would pull the battery dead in about a month so I installed a disconnect switch.

Ramon

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 115928
"I've been told by a Crutchfield tech that I may have a problem because of the way LD wired the radio... the radio even when turned off will continue to draw power for the display and eventually drain the battery."
 As Ramon said, this is unlikely to be a problem. Put it this way: it'll take a lot longer to drain your two deep-discharge house batteries than your one engine battery!
 LD wires the radio to the house batteries in order to let you use it as a music system while camping, not just while driving down the road.
 This way, in the worst case, if you should drain the house batteries while listening to the radio, you'll still be able to start the engine and drive around until the alternator recharges them. If the radio drained the engine battery, you'd be in trouble.
 But again, the chances of your radio draining the house batteries are minimal. If you're concerned about this happening while the rig is in storage, disconnect the house batteries, or pull the radio fuse (under the hood, clearly labeled), or get a battery disconnect switch. If you have at least one solar panel and are storing the rig outdoors, it isn't even a concern--that panel will keep the house batteries topped off.

Andy Baird

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 115946
Thanks guys
 It was the tech that got me worried. He was probably thinking car battery and not a deep cycle battery. I do have a battery disconnect switch and I use it quite often.