Skip to main content
Topic: New Flooring (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
New Flooring
Yahoo Message Number: 114895
Okay, we have pulled out our carpet in preparation for a new floor.  It took us about five hours to remove the carpet, padding and ten gazillion staples.  The much discussed chassis bolts are now visible.  What does one do with the bolts when laying a new floor - either vinyl or laminate? ? ? ? ?  The OSB subfloor looks good and laying Allure would be our preference but WHAT do you do with the bolts??

Thanks, Carol and Linda.

New Flooring
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 114898
We put down  a bamboo interlocking floating floor at the beginning of the summer.  It turned out great.  Our floor thickness is 9/16 thick. When we got to the carriage bolts, we undercut the bamboo until the bolt heads were accommodated.  We never compromised the top bamboo surface layer of the laminate. The foam layer under the floor and the undercuts allow the floor to ride over the bolt heads.  We used oak 3/4 x ½ corner molding around the edges.  The ½ inch dimension covers the edges of the flooring. That meant that I had to be very careful to get the flooring close to the wall and still leave room for expansion.  We stained and varnished the molding to match the bamboo.  I did need to re-hang several cabinet doors a bit higher to accommodate the floor thickness and the molding.   There are a few low points in the floor but if I don't tell you where to look you won't see them.
 I was very uncomfortable using such a thick flooring material, and I worried about expansion / contraction of the bamboo, but Linda insisted on the "carbonized bamboo". What's a guy to do at that point.. Its in, and we have had the RV out, everything seems fine.

Buy the way, this project allowed me to do my favorite thing, buy a new tool.  The Dremel multi tool.   This tool is a vibrating saw blade and/or scraper.  I think that this saw operates similar to the saw a doctor would use to cut off a cast.  The saw was used to undercut the floor, the scraper was used to scrape of the old flooring and glued down sub floor.

Ed

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

new flooring
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 114922
Okay, we have pulled out our carpet in preparation for a new floor. It took us about five hours to remove the carpet, padding and ten gazillion staples. The much discussed chassis bolts are now visible. What does one do with the bolts when laying a new floor - either vinyl or laminate? ? ? ?  ? The OSB subfloor looks good and laying Allure would be

Carol & Linda,
 I had the carpet store do my carpet removal and install the vinyl and I'm sure glad I did. The guy had to spend a lot more hours than I paid for because of all the staples (he had another word for them ). I had already removed the two sets of seat belts that were there for the two chairs so I only had the one bolt close to the cabinet (between the chairs) and the other bolt was close to the upright panel next to the outside chair. We both decided that they would not get normal traffic so he just layed the vinyl right over them. There is a slight lump but only noticeable if you know where they are. And we don't walk on them at all in those areas. Hope that helps.

Judy Wms.
Blue '07 RB "Dog Daze" White '09 Scion "Puppy Daze" And all the fur kids

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]