Skip to main content
Topic: Ramon's trip to Yosemite (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Ramon's trip to Yosemite
Yahoo Message Number: 114777
I'm glad your first real trip with your 'new to you' LD went well. Your comment about flooding the engine reminded me of problems in my previous motorhome with a carburetor. I put in a manual choke cable to pull the choke open. Not 'closed' as is the usual connection. The automatic choke provides way too much gasoline for a cold start because of the altitude; the air is too  thin. By pulling the butterfly open, it leans the mixture to start the engine,  and saves some gas and black clouds out the exhaust. If you forget to turn the  knob 'off' it won't hurt anything until the next time you try a cold start at  lower altitude. Then you won't have the choke that you do need. Hope this will  help....Ron

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Re: Ramon's trip to Yosemite
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 114782
"The automatic choke provides way too much gasoline for a cold start because of the altitude; the air is too  thin."
 Ron's right; I've encountered this with my old Lazy Daze, Gertie. The Chevy 350's carburetted setup runs way too rich at high altitudes, so flooding, especially when starting cold, can be a real problem.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 114793
"The automatic choke provides way too much gasoline for a cold start because of the altitude; the air is too  thin."
Thanks Guys, I like the idea of a manual choke but I will just have to watch it at altitude for now.  Most of the time this coach will go to local 1 hour trips at sea level.
 Also..  you are right about running rich...  we followed the LD on the way down from glacier point and the exhaust fumes were killing us.  It is hard to imagine that all vehicles used to smell like this before fuel injection and catalytic converters.  We kept a good distance.

Take care

Ramon

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 114796
I like the idea of a manual choke but I will just have to watch it at altitude for now.
 At least in California, a modified choke is a smog fail for a tamper. >