Skip to main content
Topic: 12 volt receptacle - not working (Read 12 times) previous topic - next topic
12 volt receptacle - not working
Yahoo Message Number: 114679
My 12 volt receptacle is not working...it just 'quit'.
It is also the one that my antenna is connected to (a winegard item...has a button to show the antenna is "on" and the 12 volt receptable.)
 There is power to the thing - the light comes on when the button is slid 'on'.  And goes off when turned 'off'.

Anything I plug into the receptable doesn't work.
 I had another, plugged it into the cables, etc - same thing.  So I put the original back in place.
 Any ideas on why the plug part doesn't seem to work?   I tried my portable inverter, my fantastic fan, and another 12 volt fan...nothing.

Thank you, Helen

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: 12 volt receptacle - not working
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 114689
My 12 volt receptacle is not working...it just 'quit'.
It is also the one that my antenna is connected to (a winegard item...has a button to show the antenna is "on" and the 12 volt receptable.)
 There is power to the thing - the light comes on when the button is slid 'on'.  And goes off when turned 'off'.

Anything I plug into the receptable doesn't work.
 I had another, plugged it into the cables, etc - same thing.  So I put the original back in place.
 Any ideas on why the plug part doesn't seem to work?  I tried my portable inverter, my fantastic fan, and another 12 volt fan...nothing.

Thank you, Helen
Helen, check the fuse.  On my '02 30' it's #6 and a 7.5 amp fuse.
 Chris (currently in Ft. Worden S Pk, Port Townsend, WA.  No heat wave here.)
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 114690
Quote from: Helen D."
I tried my portable inverter, my fantastic fan, and another 12 volt fan...nothing.

Helen Never plug anything into the 12V TV outlet that is high powered or it will destroy the outlet. As per the manual - "This 12V wall plate receptacle is rated for a maximum of 8 amps. Do not connect high current devices such as 12V hair dryers to this receptacle or damage can occur." Use a test meter or 12V test light to see if you have power at the plug.

Lon in Northern CA 2003 MB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 114701
Thank you - a test light is coming over.

Well,  let's see....There is power, as the light for the tv antenna does switch on & off.
 So the inverter is probably NOT ok, but it wasn't the device plugged in when the outlet failed.

Any other ideas for me to try?

Helen When you get the test light, get an exrtra piece of wire so you can run the test lights ground back to the fuse panel. Yrs a loose ground can be a problem.

Your inverter can be tested using the dash cigarett lighter.

Lon

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 114702
Thank you - a test light is coming over.

Well,  let's see....There is power, as the light for the tv antenna does switch on & off.
 So the inverter is probably NOT ok, but it wasn't the device plugged in when the outlet failed.

Any other ideas for me to try?

Helen

When you get the test light, get an exrtra piece of wire so you can
run the test lights ground back to the fuse panel. Yrs a loose
ground can be a problem.

Your inverter can be tested using the dash cigarett lighter.

Lon

Thank you, Lon....
 I used the inverter today going from Seattle to Portland to charge my video camera and earpiece for the phone..no problems there.

Thank you again ...

Helen

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 114752
ok...borrowed the tester, removed the fuse...and...it indicates no power to that station.
 What might cause this (it's an intellipower converter)?   It doesn't make sense, since the light on the winegard receptable (tv amp) shows power to it.

Does it make sense to check the wires at the receptacle end?

Thank you, Helen