Skip to main content
Topic: Olympian Catalytic Heater 6100 (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Olympian Catalytic Heater 6100
Yahoo Message Number: 112420
Has anyone ever had their heater pad replacedd? I just got an Olympian catalytic 6100 that is about 10 years old at an estate sale. Of course, they said it worked fine, however after bringing it home my husband and I saw that it was very dusty. Tried to fire it up, it lit but did not diffuse the heat at all. Just wondered if I made a mistake buying it for $60. Does anyone know what a replacement pad might cost? Went on our first boondocking trip 3nights at Crooked River cg outside of Prineville, Or. Being new to rving and being it was extremely cold and windy, snow, hail, high winds, we ran the house furnace a bit and our batteries(new) got very low. Then went to estate sale today and saw the 6100 and bought it immediately. Any advice? We really had a great time anyway hiking up Chimney Rock one day geocaching and playing cards and mexican train.

Maureen
'92 LD RB

Re: Olympian Catalytic Heater 6100
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 112421
"Went on our first boondocking trip 3 nights at Crooked River cg outside of Prineville, Or. ...we ran the house furnace a **bit** and our (new) batteries) got very low. Any advice?"

Maureen '92 LD RB
Maureen
 Something is fishy there. "New" batteries should not get "very low" by running the furnace a "bit" on any given night, providing you had the means to recharge them each succeeding day. How low is your "very low" and how much is a "bit"?
 Coincidentally, I just returned from fishing in the High Sierra (6,000') with night time temps into the low to mid 30° range. I like to keep the coach no less than 55° at night. My furnace cycled on and off each of the four nights I was there. In the morning my battery level was never less than 12.2v and with two 100w solar panels my five and a half year old batteries were back at 100% before noon.

Perhaps others would like to comment on the contrast.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 112425
"Has anyone ever had their heater pad replacedd? I just got an Olympian catalytic 6100 that is about 10 years old at an estate sale. Of course, they said it worked fine, however after bringing it home my husband and I saw that it was very dusty. Tried to fire it up, it lit but did not diffuse the heat at all. Just wondered if I made a mistake buying it for $60. Does anyone know what a replacement pad might cost?"

Maureen '92 LD RB
Maureen, why don't you call Camco and discuss your problem.
http://www.camco.net/faqolympian.cfm

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 112443
I just got an Olympian catalytic 6100 that is about 10 years old at an estate sale. Of course, they said it worked fine, however after bringing it home my husband and I saw that it was very dusty. Tried to fire it up, it lit but did not diffuse the heat at all.
Not sure what you mean about not diffusing the heat. Are you familiar with these heaters? Ours normally starts with a small red area near the flame, then the red area spreads slowly over a few minutes time. The redness speads to cover about 40%-60% of the pad area, but fringe areas get hot without the color. Dust is bad, but inevitable. If you see a lot of it, I recommend blowing it off with very low pressure air, then trying again before condemning the pad.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit