Skip to main content
Topic: Camping with crawlers (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Camping with crawlers
Yahoo Message Number: 112336
We now have a 9 month old grandson living nearby with his parents.  We'd like to attempt a family camping trip in Phideaux (our 2009 Rear Bath.) He is not yet walking; crawls and loves freedom to do so; hates being confined to strollers, highchairs, or playpens.  He is a delight and loves people and does usually sleep through the night with just one feeding.
 I'd like to hear from anyone who has had a successful camping experience with a child this age:  How did you allow the child freedom with safety (and comparative cleanliness) in the out of doors? How about inside the motor home?  Where did the child sleep?
 Do any of you use/carry one of those woven vinyl "carpets?  How do you manage that?

Pat & Gary Romans in Phideaux Tigard, OR

Re: Camping with crawlers
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 112337
We now have a 9 month old grandson living nearby with his parents.  We'd like to attempt a family camping trip in Phideaux (our 2009 Rear Bath.) I'd like to hear from anyone who has had a successful camping experience with a child this age:  How did you allow the child freedom with safety (and comparative cleanliness) in the out of doors? How about inside the motor home?  Where did the child sleep?

Pat & Gary Romans in Phideaux Tigard, OR
Pat & Gary, we would lower and extend the dinette table and place a PortaCrib on top of that for night time.  Portacrib can be used as playpen during the day outside.  We had a clamp-on seat that clamped to the dinette table for feeding.  As they become older we would use a small AeroBed that fits nicely in that dinette area instead of the crib.
Joe Hamm-San Jose

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 112347
More ideas:
 Pack n Play (as mentioned):  While I do understand confinement is unpopular, Baby will need to learn to use this tool to go camping.  I know I sound tough, but so is camping with a kids. :)
 Besides, kids have to learn to be confined and still in places, even if they don't like it, like on buses, airplanes, in carseats, etc.  I mean, at some point, you have to say "tough luck" for safety's sake, right?  And when you need a minute to take care of something, you'll want a safe location for Baby.
 I liked Graco best. http://tinyurl.com/28klmu9 (won't need the bassinet part with a 9-month-old)
 Make sure the Pack n Play is sized to fit on the dinette as a bed (with or without the cushions down).  That's a safe bed.
 Be sure to practice setup and take down of the Pack N Play.  The SIDES need to be snapped into place before the floor is pushed flat.  To put away, pull up the floor first, THEN unlock the sides (unless they've changed it in the last few years).
 Idea:  see what is available at a Children's Consignment store!  Including the following:
 A backpack for carrying baby-to-toddler while hiking and a nice baby jogger stroller that you can use around the campground or on hikes.
 A cozy coupe car will be popular very soon.  A little push car where they use legs to get around (with a high handle for you to help) will also be fun.
 An "outdoor shower" can easily be made with a Y valve from Home Depot.  Put it on your hose connection, add a short length of hose and a nozzle.  Simple!
 A cheap, plastic baby pool can be inflated into an outdoor baby tub.
 All kid exploration needs to be under a watchful eye- until they have the common sense not to eat everything (like age 4 years or so), so don't trust them alone for a second.  I recommend volunteering for Baby watch duty during dinner prep or clean up time.  :)

Hope that helps!  You sounds like WONDERFUL Grandparents!

Tessa in TX

'92 MB- Ciao Baby!

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 112412
Our only concern with our new modern LD

is that we cannot be as isolated as we were in our old one so it will take some self-discipline to keep the cell phones, computers and TV off and teach them the simple ways to have fun.

Patti & John
Good luck with that.

Joe Hamm