Skip to main content
Topic: Shurflo 4088 Revolution Pump (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Shurflo 4088 Revolution Pump
Yahoo Message Number: 112291
Hi All,
 I'm seeking feedback from those of you who have installed and used Shurflo's new 4088 Revolution water pump. And I'm also seeking your interpretation of the quote from Shurflo below, about their infamous 5.7 pumps. First an update on my personal Shurflo saga.
 My latest Shurflo 5.7 Extreme pump leaked on our last trip. The leak was from the pressure switch cover and in my opinion was related to excessive pressure when the water heater was turned on after pressurizing the system. The expanding hot water seems to raise system pressure beyond the pump's capacity to handle it. This despite having installed a check valve downstream from the pump, in addition to the check valve LD installs at the inlet to the water heater. We usually have the pump and water heater off at night and then turn them on upon arising. If you do the same and have one of these pumps you might want to turn the pump off and leave the kitchen faucet open while the water heats, to relieve and avoid any excess pressure.
 Anyway, I replaced that pump with the spare I now carry and sent the leaker off to Shurflo. I got two pumps back! One was the usual new 5.7 that Shurflo has always been good about sending to replace my latest problem pump. But the second was their new 4088 Revolution pump.
 The latter came with a note that said: "Please be advised that Shurflo is now offering our latest 4088 "Revolution" RV water pump. For application where three (3) gpm is required 80% of the time. I'm sending one out for you. The fact that you have gone through four 5.7 gpm pumps is a strong sign that 80+% of the time the 5.7 pump is under constant high (65) psi. If such is the case then the 5.7 is obviously too big of a pump."
 I've actually had more than four 5.7 pumps. Heck, I have three here right now, all new replacements of earlier failures. I ended up with three due to having had to purchase replacements for failed pumps while on the road in Baja and Alaska.
 In some recent correspondence with Steve Newton at LD he also encouraged me to give up on the 5.7 and install the new 4088 Revolution. Now that I have one I guess I should try that. My thinking is to then sell my new, unused 5.7 pumps and perhaps generate enough cash to buy a spare 4088.
 But before I do that I'd like to know what any knowledgeable folks here make of Shurflo's comment above and the experience of any of you that have installed the 4088 pump.
 Is it really possible to have "too big of a pump," given that my plumbing has handled the 5.7 fine and it is the pump itself that fails? Isn't the 5.7 pump designed to always pressurize the system to 65psi before it shuts off? Are they saying that their 65psi pump can't handle 65 psi? What am I missing here?
 And if you have a 4088 pump installed could you please describe your experience with it, especially any comparison you can offer to the 5.7 pump? I love the 5.7's performance. So I would hope that performance of the 5.7 would be maintained with the 4088, but without the problems of the 5.7.

Thanks.

Terry

2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV
Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV

Re: Shurflo 4088 Revolution Pump
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 112292
"The latter came with a note that said: "Please be advised that Shurflo is now offering our latest 4088 "Revolution" RV water pump. For application where three (3) gpm is required 80% of the time. I'm sending one out for you. The fact that  you have gone through four 5.7 gpm pumps is a strong sign that 80+% of the time the 5.7 pump is under constant high (65) psi. If such is the case then the 5.7 is obviously too big of a pump."

Terry
 Is there an RV or RVer anywhere that uses 3 GPM of water 80% of the time? We would be draining our LD's water tank every 25 minutes.
When camping, our pump is pressurized but not flowing about 98% of the time.  We leave it on anytime we are in or near the rig, turning it off when leaving for the day.
I would think this is a fairly normal mode of operation
 I think Shurflo providing you with the new 4088 Revolution is their way of saying the 5.7 is a POS and they cannot figure out how to repair it.
I know of no one who has already installed a 4088 so good luck being out test pilot.
Keep us posted.
 BTW, many months, I bowed out of variable speed pump ownership and have gone to a large single speed pump with an accumulator after the third Flojet Sensor VSD 4.5 pump failed outside the warranty period.
It makes more noise but hasn't failed......yet.
And to think the 1983 LD,  we bought used, had the same Whisper King pump for the entire 9 years of ownership.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Re: SHURflo 4008 "Revolution" pump
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 112297
First, let's be sure we're all talking about the same thing. The model 4088 that Terry mentioned is a shaft-driven stainless steel pedestal gear pump for industrial applications. The pump we're discussing here is their 4008 "Revolution":

http://www.shurflo.com/rv-products/rv-pumps/classic-series-water-pumps/revolution-4008-pumps/default.html>
 It's pretty clear that both Lazy Daze and SHURflo have given up on the trouble-plagued Extreme 5.7 pump, and the 4008 is its recommended replacement. Unfortunately, I can't compare the two from personal experience, because my 2003 midbath came with a SHURflo Whisper King (2 gpm) pump. This worked flawlessly--as did the Whisper King I installed in my last coach--until a loosened connection led to a slow leak last December.
 Thinking the Whisper King pump itself was at fault, I ordered a new 4008 pump. Shortly thereafter, I realized that the problem could be solved by simply tightening a couple of connections... but I figured I might as well install the 3 gpm 4008 pump when it arrived, since the Whisper King's 2 gpm output had always been inadequate, especially in flushing the badly-designed Sealand toilet. (I say "badly designed' because in my last rig I had the same Whisper King pump and a Thetford Bravura toilet, and the toilet flushed just fine.)
 So I installed the 4008, setting the Whisper King aside as a spare. I added long loops of 5/8" vinyl tubing to the input and output ends, partly to ensure smooth flow and partly to make removal for servicing easier. I really wish Lazy Daze would learn to include a "service loop" in plumbing and electrical systems. (Those who have installed LED taillights know what I mean.)
 The 4008 has been working without problems for 5 months now. As expected, it's noisier than the ultra-quiet Whisper King, but not obnoxiously so--I've heard worse. It delivers 50% more water pressure, which is welcome. Despite my friends' misgivings, my water consumption has not gone up; I still get about 16-18 days out of a full tank. This is not altogether surprising--the teakettle or the toilet bowl may fill up faster, but it still holds the same amount. Showers are a little faster now, but overall consumption remains the same.
 Hopefully someone here can directly compare the 4008 "Revolution" with the ill-fated Extreme 5.7, but at least in my experience the new pump seems to work just fine.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 112300
"Larry"  wrote: When camping, our pump is pressurized but not flowing about 98% of the time.  We leave it on anytime we are in or near the rig, turning it off when leaving for the day. I would think this is a fairly normal mode of operation.
--- I don't know how "normal" this MO is, but I do the same. (Which could indicate that neither of us is "normal", but, who cares!? ;-) )
 I think Shurflo providing you with the new 4088 Revolution is their way of saying the 5.7 is a POS and they cannot figure out how to repair it.
--- Agreed; from what I've heard, the 5.7 seems to be the RV water pump equivalent of Windows Vista. I'd cut my losses, dump the sucker, and go with the 4008.  As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Re: SHURflo 4008 "Revolution" pump
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 112304
Terry I can not explain what Shurflow meant. It's all over my head.
Practical experience. Our original 5.7 lasted almost two years. A spare 5.7 I carried with us lasted less than two weeks.

I put in a 4008 last October and so far, so good.
It's a tad more noisy, but it pumps water, more than enough for a shower.
 I have a spare 4008 in a bin. If I have to install it, the next pump will be whatever Mike Sylvester suggests. Life is too short to spend it installing water pumps.
 We installed an adjustable water heater thermostat. We like it. We now leave the water heater on most of the time. It solved the leaking from the overflow valve. It MAY reduce pressure on the pressure cut-off switch. We have it set it so that the digital thermometer reads 112 degrees. That fine for showers and dish washing.
 Andy, it is commendable that you can make a tank of water last 16-18 days. I think our max was 6 days. Of course, there are two of us. That said we have no interest in attempting to tie or best your record.

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 112306
And if you have a 4088 pump installed could you please describe your experience with it, especially any comparison you can offer to the 5.7 pump? I love the 5.7's performance. So I would hope that performance of the 5.7 would be maintained with the 4088, but without the problems of the 5.7.

Thanks.

Terry 2003 26.5'RB Gardnerville, NV
Terry,
 We went through a number of 5.7 pumps. Installed a 4008 about 6 months ago. It leaked about 2 weeks after that. Sent it back and Shurflo told me that it was the first one of these they had that failed. They checked it and said, if I recall correctly, that the diaphragm had been pinched. I hate when that happens.
 Anyway, the replacement continues to perform well. It does not supply as much water as the 5.7 in the shower but it is fine in our view. It is also a bit noisier but again, nothing we can't live with.
 We did have one issue. Like Don, we also have an adjustable thermostat on the water heater and have ours set as low as it will go. We generally shower with only the hot water on. When doing that we found that this pump would often start cycling although it was more an audible issue rather than a fluctuation in water pressure. When we added water from the cold tap that generally stopped the cycling.
 I discussed with the service rep at Shurflo and he advised that I adjust the center allen screw clockwise in 1/8 increments until the problem resolved. The limit to making that adjustment, again according to them, is when you have gone too far the pump won't shut off. He said the ideal operation would be that when you shut off the water the pump stops in 1/4 second.
 We had to adjust the screw several times before the cycling stopped and never got to the point where I sensed that delay in shutting off that he described. On the plus side, water pressure increased noticeably pretty much from the first adjustment.

Jim C

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 112309
Hi All,
 I'm seeking feedback from those of you who have installed and used Shurflo's new 4088 Revolution water pump. And I'm also seeking your interpretation of the quote from Shurflo below, about their infamous 5.7 pumps. First an update on my personal Shurflo saga.
Hi Terry,
 I feel like I've been field testing Shuflo water pumps for the last 6 years. ;-)I posted my experience with the new "Revloution" pump late last year in message #108015. And like you, I used the wrong model number, 4088. The model number should definitely be 4008!
 Our 2003 Midbath came with the Whisper King. Wanting better water flow, I "upgaded" to the Sensor 5.7. I've probably gone through 4 of those. Loved the water flow, hated the hassles.
 While we only used the new pump a short time before winterizing our rig, we were VERY satisfied with its perfomance. I've described it as being like a "Whisper King" on steroids. It may not be as quiet as the Whisper King but it pumps with more pressure and with a much smoother flow.
 Copmparing to the Sensor 5.7, there are times it is quieter because the motor does not rev up as much as the Sensor does when you flush the toilet. But it does make a bit more noise than the Sensor did at low flow rates. One thing I really like about the Revolution is that we no longer get the one or two pulses of water when we first open a faucet like we have with the last versions of the Sensor.
 I was given this new pump by Shuflo as well as a new Sensor 5.7. The reps I was dealing with thought many of my problems with the Sensor were due to the Sensor's lack of a "check valve". I plan to continue carrying the extra Sensor pump with me as a precaution.
 IF I was buying a new pump, without a doubt, I would go for the new "Revolution" pump. Especially when you consider it is around half the price of the Sensor 5.7 and it will hopefully have fewer problems.
 For those of you who might want to install the Revolution, you should know that the mount will require some new holes. And the water lines connect with threaded fittings instead of the mounting clips used on the Sensor pumps. I used a longer flexible braided line between the water tank and the pump, and then again between the pump and the water supply line. By doing that, I have a long loops between the lines and have eliminated any 90 degree elbows in the system.

May your flow be strong and trouble free!;-)

Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath