Skip to main content
Topic: Kitchen Faucet Woes (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
Kitchen Faucet Woes
Yahoo Message Number: 112215
I have a factory supplied kitchen faucet in my 2008 MB.  I began to notice a few drops of water showing up on the right edge of the trim plate on the back of the sink.  Further checking found about 2 inches of water that had accumulated in the dishpan which I had stored under the sink (good luck, that).  I pulled out my documentation which pointed me to various things to address the leak, one of which required that I remove the faucet riser from the faucet base.  An hour later, I gave up.  I called the supplier to vent my ire.
 They asked me to describe the leak.  When I did, they thought it was from the hose.
 I patiently (but clearly frustrated) explained that the leak was ABOVE the sink, not below it, although I did have a lot of water below the sink as well.
 The tech guy reaffirmed, (more patient than I, I must admit) that they thought the hose was the problem.  He asked me to hold while he conferred with his colleague, but he intended to send me a new faucet.
 While I was on hold, I went to the faucet, drew out the spray a little and turned the water on.  It leaked where the spray attached to the hose.  A little hand tightening stopped the leak.
 When the tech guy came back, he said they were going to send a new faucet.

I told him what I had found, and that tightening seemed to fix it.

He chuckled, and said that that happens a lot.
 I wish the documentation had said that!  A lot of time and effort, and a lot of water in my cabinet, could have been saved.
 So, for all my compadres out there, if you have the stock faucet with the pull-out spray head, it may be worthwhile to check the tightness of the hose connection to the spray head every now and then.

Ken F. in OR
'08 MB

Re: Kitchen Faucet Woes
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 112216
On Apr 28, 2010, at 6:55 PM, videodiver2002 wrote:

While I was on hold, I went to the faucet, drew out the spray a little and turned the water on. It leaked where the spray attached to the hose. A little hand tightening stopped the leak.
This has happened to us, about every 15,000 miles. Preventive maintenance will save a cleanup job.
 We have another water leak. I got it stopped, but it is going to start again. This a mid bath. The plastic nut that holds the faucet down on the cold water side has loosened. I took the door off to get better access to it, but I can not get a good enough grip on it to snug it up even finger tight. Some water still emerges from under the faucet, but drains into the bowl. Another 1,000 miles and I figure it will loosen up enough to resume draining into the cabinet again.
 I would like to remove the faucet, caulk and tighten it down, but I can not. The hot water side is on more than finger tight so I can not get it out. And as I said, I can get access to the cold water side to snug it up.
 Is there a tool designed for this? We back to civilization where there are stores now.

Maybe I should call Vince?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: Kitchen Faucet Woes
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 112218
"Is there a tool designed for this? We back to civilization where there are stores now."

Don
 Yes, there is a tool called basin wrench and is made just for the situation you have encountered.
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Basin-Wrench>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llOBkl10ZTs>

Any home center should have them.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)