Skip to main content
Topic: U-Haul Wide Angle Attachment Mirrors (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
U-Haul Wide Angle Attachment Mirrors
Yahoo Message Number: 112126
Cross posted here from Technoz:
Jerry Galang
Meridian, ID 83646

Re: U-Haul Wide Angle Attachment Mirrors
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 112158
The 2005 Thor transit coaches I drove had a mirror on both sides that had power-adjusted main flat section and a second lower convex section also with power adjust. They were about the same size as those shown by the OP, but were in the same overall case.
 Whether they were Thor-specific on their coach conversions or orignial Ford bits, I don't know. The only problem I had was that, every time you got out of the driver seat and slammed the door, the U-shaped bracket they were mounted on moved. I got so fed up with it, I took my own socket set with me and tightened up the mounting bolts.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 112247
I ordered the U-Haul WA mirrors from 
 Received the box today with one new mirror (packed in box with sticker indicating it was for the left side). The other mirror was loose in the box, had dirt on the front, the glass was oily, and there were screw marks from a previous installation (in also came without mounting screws).
 Too late in the day to call them and let them know what I think, but I'll do that tomorrow. Buy new stuff and get a used one - - that's not right! I'll post a follow up here.

bumper Yonder Minden
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 112251
Mine arrived today also, but fortunately for me, in new condition.  If the weather holds, I hope to get them installed this weekend.

Sorry about your problem:-(

Glen w/SOB

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 112253
"Mine arrived today also, but fortunately for me, in new condition. If the weather holds, I hope to get them installed this weekend."
 The FedEx guys were busy today, with a new set of wide-angle mirrors showing up on the front porch.
It has taken almost a year to find a way to buy them since I first saw them installed on an LD. The U-Haul stores refused to sell them, even at the place where I have been buying propane for years. Several managers told me that they were not able to sell them to the public.
Thanks Terry for finally solving the purchasing problem.

The mirrors looked new but one box was missing the screws.
Installation took about ten minutes and the view is expansive.
It took longer to pry off the bigger mirrors I had installed last year. 3M HD double-sided tape sticks well to clean glass.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157616437906966/>
 I'm not super impressed with the overall strength of the add-on mirrors; slap a medium size tree branch hard and the new mirror may snap off. This vulnerability may explain why it is listed in U-Haul's rather limited on-line store I would like to add a strip of sheet metal, inside the main mirror, so the screws have more material to bite into. Does anyone know how to take a stock mirror housing apart?
 For less than $30, they are a vast improvement over the stock mirror.
Time will tell how well they hold up.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 112262
My mirrors arrived wed. and I mounted them yesterday , they say the screws are self tapping but a small pilot hole is a big help . Its a 15 min. job.  Bob&Verna

U-Haul mirrors
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 112370
I just placed an order for convex mirrors.  Could not have been easier.  Google U-Haul. Click on supplies, then search part numbers 715668 and 715669 and order, $20. each , shipping is included. Hope this helps someone,  Doc.