Skip to main content
Topic: Overhead cab storage compartments (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic
Overhead cab storage compartments
Yahoo Message Number: 112055
After two years in our midbath, we are ready to make some more modifications. Our next big step is to take out the sleeping mattress above the cab and build a storage center with cabinet doors that will look elegant yet be of practical storage use.  Has anyone done this on their LD?  I noted that Tioga George in his online magazine has photos of one he built for his Tioga.
 I do have a bid from Davis Cabinets in Junction City, OR where they do lots of work for Class A motorhomes.  But...it's a bit pricey.  Just checking what fellow Lazy Dazers may suggest or have accomplished in this modification process.

Thanks for your input!

David (Eugene, OR) 1998 MB LD

Re: Overhead cab storage compartments
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 112056
I seem to recall the factory warning against storing much weight over the cab.

best, paul

PS> then again, I might be having a senior moment where I remember things before they happen ;o)

PPS> Again! ___ 'Thriving not Surviving' See our websites at www. LazyDazers.com    www. Bike70th.net
www. SMARTERyellowpages.com & www. ReformUSCongress.org

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 112060
"I seem to recall the factory warning against storing much weight over the cab."
 You're right, Paul. Although I've never seen specific numbers mentioned, Lazy Daze has cautioned against storing heavy items over the cab. An entertainment center would probably not cause any trouble, however.
 Actually, the real issue is with conversion in the opposite direction: from overcab entertainment center to sleeping area. A few members have discussed doing this over the years, though I don't know whether anyone has followed through... but the factory has definitely said that the overcab area of a coach built with an entertainment center is not reinforced to bear the kind of weight pesented by a couple of sleeping adults.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 112073
I'm surprised that the factory would go to the trouble of designing and building two different versions of the over-cab structure, with the risk of getting the wrong parts in a particular build and the extra inventory control.
 Certainly, I would expect the loads to be carried in cabinets, when the vehicle is being driven, would have to be considerably less than the static case of a sleeping person up there when moored.
 If a sleeping load of 300 pounds is OK, then a cabinet load of 90 or so should be fine. I don't anticipate more than about 3g acceleration in the vertical plane. In a high-decel stop (a crash), the loads would be higher than a 3g case, but the cab-over isn't going to be the only thing that breaks!

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 112074
I know a case where a sleeping load of 400 pounds was demonstrated to be OK ;o)

best, paul   (running and ducking....) ___ 'Thriving not Surviving' See our websites at www. LazyDazers.com    www. Bike70th.net
www. SMARTERyellowpages.com & www. ReformUSCongress.org

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 112076
 Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2010 4:55 PM
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Subject: [LD] Re: Overhead cab storage compartments

I'm surprised that the factory would go to the trouble of designing and building two different versions of the over-cab structure, with the risk of getting the wrong parts in a particular build and the extra inventory control.
 Certainly, I would expect the loads to be carried in cabinets, when the vehicle is being driven, would have to be considerably less than the static case of a sleeping person up there when moored.
 If a sleeping load of 300 pounds is OK, then a cabinet load of 90 or so should be fine. I don't anticipate more than about 3g acceleration in the vertical plane. In a high-decel stop (a crash), the loads would be higher than a 3g case, but the cab-over isn't going to be the only thing that breaks!

Given LD's oft quoted propensity for cookie-cutter, limited option production, I'm with Frank on this one. Wouldn't make sense at all to have two front end framing schemes.

But then again . . . ??

bumper

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 112077
"I'm surprised that the factory would go to the trouble of designing and building two different versions of the over-cab structure, with the risk of getting the wrong parts in a particular build and the extra inventory control."
 Perhaps the differences aren't as great as you and Bumper are envisioning . This is pure guesswork, mind you, because I haven't compared the two types... but I'm thinking that maybe the "extra bracing" in the overcab-bedroom models is simply a thick plywood floor that the mattress rests on. If this floor were absent in an entertainment-center model, then adding a mattress would mean placing it directly on the fiberglass, which probably would sag under the load.
 Again, this is pure guesswork. I agree that Lazy Daze wouldn't be likely to build two substantially different overcab assemblies... but adding an optional plywood floor (and cutting out two side windows, let's not forget) wouldn't be a big deal.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 112088
AND featuring a cabover bed instead of a required entertainment center would allow families more floorplan options!

Case in point:  the 31' model
 Families would benefit from the added space of a longer rig more than anyone.  And no slide-outs available... don't get me started.
:)

Tessa in TX '91 MB - Ciao Baby!

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 112094
I am also interested in doing this. The cab bed has only been used a few times by the grandkids. We would like some bulk storage space for light bulky items and a few shelves for kitchen items so the DW does not have to get on her knees to access them.
 Tim Pease will do it using veneer from the factory, but he does not have a design. I am pondering exactly what we want so he could build it.

Whatever it is, I want it to be reversible for a future owner.

Any ideas?  Pictures?

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 112099
Don, I have decided to go with the overcab storage. I might be able to do it myself but I just do not have the proper tools being a full timer now. Consequently, I am happy to farm out this job to someone more skilled with lots of exerience. As I mentioned previously, Tioga George has a photo summary of his work in his online magazine.
 I do have three bids that range from $500 (Tim Peace) to $2300. I have chosen a middle one at $1000 (Davis Cabinets in Junction City, OR). I consider this pricey but...the tradeoff will be worth it for us as we are definitely into the "get rid of clutter" mentality at this point in our lives. Happily I can say that everything we now own (not in the LD) is in a 5'x10' storage space, the size of a large walk-in closet. I'd go with Tim Peace as first choice but we are in Oregon and heading to Alaska in three weeks for the summer.
 Regarding weight on overhead cab area, we have stored stuff there in plastic boxes for two years now. Thought the grandkids might join us. But...we have a tent for them in future. They get to rough it like we did for 70 years. I figure it can easily handle 300 pounds. So far no problems although we rarely go above 150 pounds in all.

I'll send photos when complete within two weeks or so.

David (Eugene, OR) 1998 MB LD